College Football - 2016 (4 Viewers)

Clemson never had to use their FG kicker but based on his tepid kick offs (assuming it was the same person), I wouldn't have had confidence in his making it.

Why is it that some coaches can't act professionally on the sideline. Instead we have the Clemson coach carrying on like a nutty fan when they win and berating officials to a degree that should have earned them a penalty. Contrast that with Nick Saban, who acts like an adult should.

Clemson never had to use their FG kicker but based on his tepid kick offs (assuming it was the same person), I wouldn't have had confidence in his making it.

Why is it that some coaches can't act professionally on the sideline. Instead we have the Clemson coach carrying on like a nutty fan when they win and berating officials to a degree that should have earned them a penalty. Contrast that with Nick Saban, who acts like an adult should.

Brad,
No excuse, but Saban is a true pro who has been there done that, like old money. Dumbo is like "new money", get there but doesn't know how to act. And if I can now put on my ClemSEN hater hat, this seems to be the norm and code of conduct ClemSEN has always adhered too. Growing up FSU and ACC, it was par for the course. :):)

Again, I am not a Bama fan, but I do respect Saban. I also respect Clemson's tenacity for sticking with the game. Their antics and behavior however, unfortunately typical, but works for them.

You can also accuse me of sour grapes, I thought FSU while losing our composure still got hosed in the loss earlier to Clemson.

TD

While I have great respect for Nick Saban as a football coach, I have no respect for him as a person.

On the other hand I have great respect for Dabo Swinney as a football coach and a person. I will never forget his halftime speech when Clemson played Miami a couple of years ago. There had been a few fights and personal fouls in the first half and he was clearly not pleased with his team's behavior. He kept them on the field as halftime started and told them, "You Win With Class. You Lose With Class”.

Outside of celebrating in an over the top fashion I thought Sweeney did show plenty of class. In countless interviews on every media outlet he gave Alabama credit and showed great respect for Saban and his program.

Watched Paul Finebaum's show today. 'Roll Tide' nation is not happy. Boy, does that program have some rather "intense" fans.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Isn't your brother a big fan? My son is not too happy today.

What a great game; as a Bama fan, I'm upset over the loss, but their defense was just gassed in the fourth quarter. The QB for Clemson played a whale of a second half, he threw some incredible passes, his receivers made some great grabs.

Too bad Bama lost their horse RB as he was gashing Clemson in the first half, losing him was huge.

And you hate to whine about the officials, but Clemson ran two PIC/Rub plays in the end zone on both TD's, no call on either one. I thought the DPI call late on Bama was ticky tack at best, set up Clemson on the two yard line.

As Al said pretty ballsy going for the TD as anything short of a TD there and it's game over.

I would have kicked the FG there and went to OT as again, Bama was gassed, they weren't going to stop Clemson in OT.

Congrats to Dumbo and Clemson, when he blew a gasket on the sideline during one of him temper tantrums, I thought for sure he'd get flagged, but nope, the official just stood there and took the abuse.

And the ref with the massive guns was comical, he's an overnight sensation, he's a college version of Hockuli....................

Isn't your brother a big fan? My son is not too happy today.
Brad, you have a good memory. It is my younger brother. He is an alumni of Alabama and he is fanatical, though not as bad as in his younger days. He is not pleasant to be around when Bama loses, as my youngest son discovered when watching a game with him at a sports bar a few years back. My son beat a subtle retreat when Bama fell behind and my brother started to perform.:rolleyes2: Some people take these games way too seriously. -- Al

Great side story to the Clemson National Championship. DeShaun Watson credits part of his success to moving into a home funded by former NFL player Warrick Dunn after growing up in government housing.

From The Bleacher Report:

"I felt grown having my own room," Watson told Newberry days before amassing 420 passing yards in a 35-31 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide to take the College Football Playoff National Championship. "Just having my own bed, not really being squished, not really worrying about someone sneaking up on me, it was a great moment, a special moment."

Warrick Dunn Charities has helped provide homes to 152 families. On Nov. 21, 2006, Dunn presented a furnished, four-bedroom home to Watson, his mother and three siblings.

"We just try to help put people in safer environments and give kids an opportunity," Dunn said, per Newberry. "You never know what impact you will have. You hope it's a positive impact."

Great side story to the Clemson National Championship. DeShaun Watson credits part of his success to moving into a home funded by former NFL player Warrick Dunn after growing up in government housing.

From The Bleacher Report:

"I felt grown having my own room," Watson told Newberry days before amassing 420 passing yards in a 35-31 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide to take the College Football Playoff National Championship. "Just having my own bed, not really being squished, not really worrying about someone sneaking up on me, it was a great moment, a special moment."

Warrick Dunn Charities has helped provide homes to 152 families. On Nov. 21, 2006, Dunn presented a furnished, four-bedroom home to Watson, his mother and three siblings.

"We just try to help put people in safer environments and give kids an opportunity," Dunn said, per Newberry. "You never know what impact you will have. You hope it's a positive impact."

Warrick Dunn - FSU Grad! He has done a ton of this type of work. Good guy all the way around, you should check out his back story to read about a true role model.

While I have great respect for Nick Saban as a football coach, I have no respect for him as a person.

On the other hand I have great respect for Dabo Swinney as a football coach and a person. I will never forget his halftime speech when Clemson played Miami a couple of years ago. There had been a few fights and personal fouls in the first half and he was clearly not pleased with his team's behavior. He kept them on the field as halftime started and told them, "You Win With Class. You Lose With Class”.

Jason,

Why do you hate Saban? He actually is a bastion of class. I have dealt with him in the business world as he has been a consultant to a number of my Alabama clients. Honestly, the guy is all class in that realm and personally. I have never seen an arrogant or classless act in that capacity. He is all business, personable and does the job contracted to do.

Not picking at you, just curious as to comment on respect.

TD

Jason,

Why do you hate Saban? He actually is a bastion of class. I have dealt with him in the business world as he has been a consultant to a number of my Alabama clients. Honestly, the guy is all class in that realm and personally. I have never seen an arrogant or classless act in that capacity. He is all business, personable and does the job contracted to do.

TD

I agree with you Tom. I think people see him so intense and think he is not having fun or enjoying the game. Also, mistreating his players who tend to love him. They mistake this for arrogance when his primary focus is excellence.

He is no nonsense and not charming, but he sure does love football.

And the basis of your comment is?

Jason,

TD

Tom:

I don't see your question as picking on me. My feelings and opinions of him certainly do require an explanation.

Again, I am in no way questioning his college football coaching accomplishments. I agree with those that say he is one of the best, if not the best coach ever in the history of CFB.

I do not like him as a person because of the absolute hypocrisy he has shown in regards to player transfers. His speech in response to the transfer request of backup quarterback Blake Barnett proved that to me:

"I played so long ago I don’t think anybody even knew you could transfer. I don’t think they knew anything about it. It’s one of those things where I think the culture has changed a little bit. There’s certain pride people have in competition. There’s certain things I was taught growing up about not quitting and seeing things through. I think if I’d come home and told my dad that I was going to quit the team, I think he’d have kicked me out of the house."

Nick Saban “quit” the NFL, leaving the position as head coach with the Miami Dolphins (where he had three years and $4.5 million remaining on his contract) to to take the job as head coach at Alabama. To me the above statement is the epitome of hypocrisy. I simply do not have much respect for hypocrites.

-Jason

Tom:

I don't see your question as picking on me. My feelings and opinions of him certainly do require an explanation.

Again, I am in no way questioning his college football coaching accomplishments. I agree with those that say he is one of the best, if not the best coach ever in the history of CFB.

I do not like him as a person because of the absolute hypocrisy he has shown in regards to player transfers. His speech in response to the transfer request of backup quarterback Blake Barnett proved that to me:

"I played so long ago I don’t think anybody even knew you could transfer. I don’t think they knew anything about it. It’s one of those things where I think the culture has changed a little bit. There’s certain pride people have in competition. There’s certain things I was taught growing up about not quitting and seeing things through. I think if I’d come home and told my dad that I was going to quit the team, I think he’d have kicked me out of the house."

Nick Saban “quit” the NFL, leaving the position as head coach with the Miami Dolphins (where he had three years and $4.5 million remaining on his contract) to to take the job as head coach at Alabama. To me the above statement is the epitome of hypocrisy. I simply do not have much respect for hypocrites.

-Jason

Fair enough, I can see the dots and how you get there ...........especially an attorney, you guys can connect anything!!! :):) Ok Jason and I are friends, so that is just a rib. Seriously, I see how you get there and respect that.

Practice what you preach and Saban did jump off the boat to take in his mind a better offer. One thing about it, the Alabama contract is actually less than what the NFL salary would eventually be, isn't that ironic? But the point still stands, he abandoned his commitment to Miami that he had recently reaffirmed.

Of course the tough thing about coaches and contracts is that the other side can abandon you just as quickly without reason too, it is an awful business if you ask me.

TD

PS - Hans will agree with you 100%!!! (Saban has probably caused him a lot of grief as a Vols fan!)_

Fair enough, I can see the dots and how you get there ...........especially an attorney, you guys can connect anything!!! :):) Ok Jason and I are friends, so that is just a rib. Seriously, I see how you get there and respect that.

Practice what you preach and Saban did jump off the boat to take in his mind a better offer. One thing about it, the Alabama contract is actually less than what the NFL salary would eventually be, isn't that ironic? But the point still stands, he abandoned his commitment to Miami that he had recently reaffirmed.

Of course the tough thing about coaches and contracts is that the other side can abandon you just as quickly without reason too, it is an awful business if you ask me.

TD

PS - Hans will agree with you 100%!!! (Saban has probably caused him a lot of grief as a Vols fan!)_

Tom:

Having read some more about some of the things he does off the field today I think I am need to soften my stance on him. He does a lot of charity work and really cares about his players and their families.

So I think I will simply say that he has made a mistake or two and although I do not like the hypocrisy of what he said, no one is perfect and in the end the good by far outweighs the bad with him. However, I don't think I can convince Hans of that.

-Jason

Having read the statements posted by Jason, and then done a little more research, it's hard to disagree with the conclusion that he's hypocritical. On the other hand, I would say that human beings (even ones in positions of responsibility) aren't always consistent. On more than one occasion, my wife has pointed out this to me and after thinking of ways to get out of the situation I put myself into, I had to agree that she was right!

Having read the statements posted by Jason, and then done a little more research, it's hard to disagree with the conclusion that he's hypocritical. On the other hand, I would say that human beings (even ones in positions of responsibility) aren't always consistent. On more than one occasion, my wife has pointed out this to me and after thinking of ways to get out of the situation I put myself into, I had to agree that she was right!

Here is an interesting article from a Dolphin publication where Saban takes ownership of the crappy way he handled things. His first admission is only about 60% ownership, but farther down the article is another quote from an interview where I think he goes farther.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...rees-defends-himself-on-jeno-james-treatment/

Also interesting to see Jason Taylor's sympathetic comments.

I do think it is pretty clear that Saban is very socially, and probably a little emotionally, awkward. A lot of geniuses are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back