Combat! TV Series playset suggestions (2 Viewers)

Marxmaniac

Private 1st Class
I am attempting to put together my own combat! Playset. I have the character figures done by Phil Molter. The box will be the one on eBay by grenig or the one by littletoymaker. Comments on box preference? I am looking for suggestions for contents. My first stab would be to use cts tanks guns and vehicles. I was going to add the timmee trucks too. Use cts American and German gun crews. Looking for thoughts on contents? Cts, austinminiatures, conte, Marx, airfix, or matchbox figures or combinations thereof. Thought about some British figures who were on the show. Maybe done paratroopers. Anyone else put their own playset together? I also was going to add atherton (eBay) bombed out building and bridge for terrain pcs. Marx barb wire and concertina wire. Please help me on my dream wish playset. Thank you.

Some of the Conte figures would be perfect. Cage, Kirby, Little John and Doc, as well as Lt. Hanley. Finding a good Sgt. Saunders would take a little work.

i have Cage, Kirby, Little John, Doc, as well as Lt. Hanley And Sgt. Saunders and wounded guest star. I will post pictures or can more easily email them to you. I just wondered thoughts on what GIs and Germans to add as well as vehicles and terrain pcs. Thank you.

I am attempting to put together my own combat! Playset. I have the character figures done by Phil Molter. The box will be the one on eBay by grenig or the one by littletoymaker. Comments on box preference? I am looking for suggestions for contents. My first stab would be to use cts tanks guns and vehicles. I was going to add the timmee trucks too. Use cts American and German gun crews. Looking for thoughts on contents? Cts, austinminiatures, conte, Marx, airfix, or matchbox figures or combinations thereof. Thought about some British figures who were on the show. Maybe done paratroopers. Anyone else put their own playset together? I also was going to add atherton (eBay) bombed out building and bridge for terrain pcs. Marx barb wire and concertina wire. Please help me on my dream wish playset. Thank you.

Great idea !

In my opinion the Conte Germans would be a great decision, considering their detail.
CTS armor would also fit nicely.
Box preference should be closest to what you would design. You are fortunate that the set you wish to put together has a box available.
My advice on contents, is to not get it too complicated or cluttered...you may want to make sure that your 'contents' will fit in the box. If you look at Marx sets, they had the figures, armor, pill boxes, sand bags, barb wire, some weapons etc. Think about the series, and what you remember about what _Combat !_ featured most. Marx put together a 'contents' list with each set, if you do that, and focus on items that are readily available, your set will be easier to complete, and mark progress towards what you are trying to achieve. In the end, if you come across other items, they can always be added later...I would think scale and personal opinion on how things fit together in a "set", from your perspective, would result in a Playset you can enjoy.

Look forward to seeing your completed set.

Neat idea. When I was a kid I HAD to watch "Combat" every Tuesday (I think) night.

I wasn't aware of plastic character figures. For Sgt. Saunders you need to leave off the field gear except for the pistol belt with holster. Most episodes he wasn't even carrying a canteen. No one knows where he kept the spare 30-round stick magazines for his Thompson SMG :) The Lt is easy, an officer with a carbine and a radioman who seems to get shot every other episode. Kirby has to have his BAR. Cage wore the beret when in the rear areas but tucked it into his epaulette when his helmet was on. The shecky Greene character would need a sloppy, torn up uniform with the camouflage trousers. Most of the "regular" GIs wore the standard M1928 haversack with the rifle ammo belt, quite a contrast to their sarge, who seems to carry nothing but his weapons. For the first season you need Germans manning a Vickers water-cooled HMG. You COULD use the CTS tanks, but to be true to the series you should find a 21C M41 "Bulldog" or two. One could be painted as a GI tank and the other could have German crosses added (M41s filled both roles during the show).

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Neat idea. When I was a kid I HAD to watch "Combat" every Tuesday (I think) night.

I wasn't aware of plastic character figures. For Sgt. Saunders you need to leave off the field gear except for the pistol belt with holster. Most episodes he wasn't even carrying a canteen. No one knows where he kept the spare 30-round stick magazines for his Thompson SMG :) The Lt is easy, an officer with a carbine and a radioman who seems to get shot every other episode. Kirby has to have his BAR. Cage wore the beret when in the rear areas but tucked it into his epaulette when his helmet was on. The shecky Greene character would need a sloppy, torn up uniform with the camouflage trousers. Most of the "regular" GIs wore the standard M1928 haversack with the rifle ammo belt, quite a contrast to their sarge, who seems to carry nothing but his weapons. For the first season you need Germans manning a Vickers water-cooled HMG. You COULD use the CTS tanks, but to be true to the series you should find a 21C M41 "Bulldog" or two. One could be painted as a GI tank and the other could have German crosses added (M41s filled both roles during the show).

Gary B.
Waverly, NE
I have seen Saunders pull spare mags from inside his field jacket, on occasion. I suppose the pistol belt kept the bottom of the jacket closed so they wouldn't fall out. -- Al

I have seen Saunders pull spare mags from inside his field jacket, on occasion. I suppose the pistol belt kept the bottom of the jacket closed so they wouldn't fall out. -- Al

Yes he did Al, but as you suggest those spare mag sightings were pretty rare ... although the Sarge usually seemed to fire his Thompson in short bursts and was thus economical with his spare magazine usage. :wink2::smile2:

Didn't Little John have a buddy named Billy for the first 2-3 seasons ... another possible figure?

B.

Don't forget Sgt. Saunders always wore his helmet tilted back so you could see his locks of hair.
Gary

Yes he did Al, but as you suggest those spare mag sightings were pretty rare ... although the Sarge usually seemed to fire his Thompson in short bursts and was thus economical with his spare magazine usage. :wink2::smile2:

Didn't Little John have a buddy named Billy for the first 2-3 seasons ... another possible figure?

B.

Watching some of the first season episodes, Sgt. saunders had a canteen and a 30 rd. magzine carrier attached to his pistol belt at times. Yes, there was a Billy character played by Tom Lowell for the first two seasons. He and Little John were buddies.
BOBBYGMOORE

Watching some of the first season episodes, Sgt. saunders had a canteen and a 30 rd. magzine carrier attached to his pistol belt at times. Yes, there was a Billy character played by Tom Lowell for the first two seasons. He and Little John were buddies.
BOBBYGMOORE
There was also the original Doc, played by Steven Rogers during the first season. Also, by the 5th season, William Bryant, who had appeared in episodes as various GI's over the run of the show, became a semi-regular squad private named McCall. -- Al

For those interested, there is a 'bible' for Combat! titled "Combat!: A Viewers Companion to the Classic TV Series", by Jo Davidsmeyer, first edition was 1997 and there is a slightly later and updated edition. There is also a website, www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/main.html, although I don't know how up to date it is. Of the original cast, Jack Hogan (Kirby), Conlan Carter (Doc #2), Tom Lowell (Billy), and Steve Rogers (Doc #1), are all still alive. Vic Morrow (Saunders), Rick Jason (Hanley), Pierre Jalbert (Caje), and Dick Peabody (Little John), have passed on. -- Al

One thing I always knew that when Saunder's regular squad were supplemented with guest stars or new faces each episode, they were the first to die with the regulars only receiving hardly a scratch or at worse, shot in the arm. You felt like warning them, don't join this squad, you are doomed. I thought at the time this was a great war series, the first I had ever seen, but 50 years on I now have the dvd's and realize how poor the scripts and settings were. Nevertheless a classic. Robin.

From what I've read, Sgt. Saunders wore camo parachute fabric on his helmet, it wasn't the Marine Corps issue. I also recall reading that Vic Morrow often carried a fiberglass replica of the Thompson due to the weight of the real McCoy.

Actors.................

I'll bet Tom Hanks didn't carry a fiberglass Thompson in SPR............{sm4}

One thing I always knew that when Saunder's regular squad were supplemented with guest stars or new faces each episode, they were the first to die with the regulars only receiving hardly a scratch or at worse, shot in the arm. You felt like warning them, don't join this squad, you are doomed. I thought at the time this was a great war series, the first I had ever seen, but 50 years on I now have the dvd's and realize how poor the scripts and settings were. Nevertheless a classic. Robin.

Have to disagree with you on that. There are a number of great stories in the "COMBAT!" series that hold up well today, and that make many of the scripts for shows today look like they are written by grade schoolers.
BOBBYGMOORE

The boxes I am choosing between are: item number 112219687269 from Grenig. It is 25x15 x4 1/2 for $55. The second one is 192048645694 from nostalgia toy box. It is 24 1/2 x 14 1/4 x 4 1/2 for $69 is 28 1/4 x 16 x 5 for $89. I prefer to have the largest box, but the second two have the lines running through the print and they are pricier. The bombed out building is 222444195068 and 222422584415 and the bridge is 222424212938. I would post the pictures of my character figures if someone can walk me through how to post pictures. Better I can email the pictures to someone and let them post for me? I have walker bulldogs from 21st century but it becomes difficult to put in a playset box like you can with the CTS vehicles. Would have a couple shermans (I am still trying to get them to do a 76mm Sherman which could also be used in Korean battleground) a halftrack, timmee 2.5T truck, airfix hanamog, CTS tiger, pz IV long, and a panther, as well a couple 88s and the CTS howitzer with the gun crews. I know Conte Germans for sure and likely Conte GIs but what about CTS GIs or Austin miniatures as well as airfix? I thought the CTS German prisoner and medical team but what of the CTS or airfix Germans (I have the 90s reissue sets of airfix Germans in gray as well as the airfix DAK in gray which make great late war figures). Would you add the Marx HP accessories group too?

From what I've read, Sgt. Saunders wore camo parachute fabric on his helmet, it wasn't the Marine Corps issue. I also recall reading that Vic Morrow often carried a fiberglass replica of the Thompson due to the weight of the real McCoy.

Actors.................

I'll bet Tom Hanks didn't carry a fiberglass Thompson in SPR............{sm4}
Morrow often carried the 'dummy' Thompson whenever he didn't have to actually shoot it. It is very well made and difficult to spot. Fact is, Morrow hated guns and didn't like handling or carrying the real thing. -- Al

Don't forget Sgt. Saunders always wore his helmet tilted back so you could see his locks of hair.
Gary

If you look closely and compare the bulk of the regular GI helmets shown then look at Saunders - to my old eyes it looks like Morrow was only wearing the helmet liner - that's what the camo cover was hiding :)

Gary B.

If you look closely and compare the bulk of the regular GI helmets shown then look at Saunders - to my old eyes it looks like Morrow was only wearing the helmet liner - that's what the camo cover was hiding :)

Gary B.
Very true. Morrow got away with carrying far less gear/weight than his fellow actors.:wink2: He wore the much lighter helmet liner instead of the actual steel pot; he carried a light-weight dummy Thompson in non-action scenes; he wore very little in field gear in most shows, usually just a pistol belt, with or without canteen, pistol, or bayonet. Some of the earlier shows had him with a backpack or magazine holder, but they didn't last long. The rest of his colleagues had to carry real Garands, BAR's, and field gear, helmets, etc. Morrow knew what he was doing.^&cool -- Al

The boxes I am choosing between are: item number 112219687269 from Grenig. It is 25x15 x4 1/2 for $55. The second one is 192048645694 from nostalgia toy box. It is 24 1/2 x 14 1/4 x 4 1/2 for $69 is 28 1/4 x 16 x 5 for $89. I prefer to have the largest box, but the second two have the lines running through the print and they are pricier. The bombed out building is 222444195068 and 222422584415 and the bridge is 222424212938. I would post the pictures of my character figures if someone can walk me through how to post pictures. Better I can email the pictures to someone and let them post for me? I have walker bulldogs from 21st century but it becomes difficult to put in a playset box like you can with the CTS vehicles. Would have a couple shermans (I am still trying to get them to do a 76mm Sherman which could also be used in Korean battleground) a halftrack, timmee 2.5T truck, airfix hanamog, CTS tiger, pz IV long, and a panther, as well a couple 88s and the CTS howitzer with the gun crews. I know Conte Germans for sure and likely Conte GIs but what about CTS GIs or Austin miniatures as well as airfix? I thought the CTS German prisoner and medical team but what of the CTS or airfix Germans (I have the 90s reissue sets of airfix Germans in gray as well as the airfix DAK in gray which make great late war figures). Would you add the Marx HP accessories group too?

Could you give the links to the websites for the playset boxes? I might want to get one.
I think a combo of the TSSD and CTS Germans would work well, and a combo of some of the CTS, TSSD, and Conte G.I.'s would work also. Look forward to your final result.
BOBBYGMOORE

The numbers are the item number in ebay. Go to ebay and search for that number. Or search under combat playset box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back