Confederate reinforcements for Mike (2 Viewers)

Ken,
Do you collect only the ACW or some of everything you make?
Mark

Hi,
In general I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that including a few flats, Imperial, Hocker, Old W. Britain, Elastolin and some unknown makers. I also have a very few of the newer makers such as John Jenkins, King & Country, 1st Legion and some Russian figures. There are some very nice products these days, but I have become very selective about opening my wallet and only buy the things that I really like.

As you might guess I have lots of W.Britain, ONWTC and Conte ACW that I sculpted.
The lions share of what I display are oddly enough, the 1st Gear/W, Britain Classic Glossies though.

I think before I really dedicate any space to more or less permanent displays in my own home, I will have to create a fair number of either one of a kind sculpts or conversions to set the scenes I have in mind. The scenes that appeal to me often include figures or poses that are not really commercially viable in the numbers that are required to produce in China. The exception has been the 1st Gear/ W. Britain Christmas sets, but these are few and far between.

For now that seems like it will be some time before I can get to that with all of the sculpting work and special commission dioramas we are working on.

The ACW figures I ended up selling to Mike and a few others were really an exercise in converting existing stock figures and cleaning up the paint to create variations. I plan on doing some more after the first of the year and I will post pictures for those interested.

Out of curiosity, what W. Britain figures would you like to see simple conversions of?

Ken

Hi,
In general I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that including a few flats, Imperial, Hocker, Old W. Britain, Elastolin and some unknown makers. I also have a very few of the newer makers such as John Jenkins, King & Country, 1st Legion and some Russian figures. There are some very nice products these days, but I have become very selective about opening my wallet and only buy the things that I really like.

As you might guess I have lots of W.Britain, ONWTC and Conte ACW that I sculpted.
The lions share of what I display are oddly enough, the 1st Gear/W, Britain Classic Glossies though.

I think before I really dedicate any space to more or less permanent displays in my own home, I will have to create a fair number of either one of a kind sculpts or conversions to set the scenes I have in mind. The scenes that appeal to me often include figures or poses that are not really commercially viable in the numbers that are required to produce in China. The exception has been the 1st Gear/ W. Britain Christmas sets, but these are few and far between.

For now that seems like it will be some time before I can get to that with all of the sculpting work and special commission dioramas we are working on.

The ACW figures I ended up selling to Mike and a few others were really an exercise in converting existing stock figures and cleaning up the paint to create variations. I plan on doing some more after the first of the year and I will post pictures for those interested.

Out of curiosity, what W. Britain figures would you like to see simple conversions of?Ken

Zulu wars :rolleyes: but I think you already knew that :)

Isn't that the truth Scott. Each figure has had a different head placed on it, and each of the right arms have been altered to gain a different angle that the muskets are being held at. Then each were repainted differently.

I take it "Jubbly" means a good thing ;). Glad you like them Martyn.

Here they all are as a grouping. These are now my favorite nine figures. I have them arranged from left to right going from a normal "quick step" march, to the "double quick", and then to "charge bayonet". The NCO "file closer" is keeping a close eye on his troops. Everything you see in these photos (the converted figures, grassy base, backdrop, stone and split rail fence, and the shrubs are all Hudson and Allen products. Once again Ken, great job - thank you very much.
:) Mike

PICT0005-8.jpg

PICT0006-3.jpg

PICT0007-7.jpg

PICT0009-4.jpg

Superb pictures Mike :cool:

Here is a link to Lovely Jubbly;):D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lovely jubbly

Cheers

Martyn:)

Ken,

This figure conversion business gets addictive doesn't it? I have found it to be one of the most fun aspects of the hobby. I usually work on plastics (with many Conte GIs of Ken Osen parentage) but metals will pose no problem. For my WW2 projects I have several extra ONTC/Valiant, Conte metals and Britains metals in the "to do" pile for myself. When time comes to convert them I will be mixing plastic and metal parts, of course based on the appropriate sizing.

Keep up the good work. I always enjoy the quality in your projects!

Gary B.

Those conversion are all gorgeous.
I would second the Zulu War for conversions also.

Ken, excellent work, thanks for sharing.
Walt

Mike, great photos! Ken wonderful work. All this ACW stuff is kinda gettin' me a tech riled up! That and about 200 ACW repaints I have been doing!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back