Connoisseur Figures (1 Viewer)

Yo Troopers, great thread this, and just some superb stunning painting, but if its taking up to 8 weeks to paint a model, you can see where the price comes in. Now Chas Stadden must be classed as the first Connoissers figures to be made IMHO. So I emailed some months back Thor & Nikki Johnson from Aeroart, and asked the question how do they think their models compare against Chas Stadden models of the 1970s-1980s Had a nice reply from Nikki, that with modern day techniques, that they had surpassed the Stadden models on Painting & face presentation. Now you cannot argue with the painting on their Knights and Ancient models, well they use Master painters, and they are stunning. But what I would argue is their sculpting is no better than the Chas Models especially on the horses, would like (spitfrnd) thoughts on this he is the real life horse expert. Also looking at the Russian sites you guys put up, still dont think their face presentation is as good as Chas Stadden. Nikki says theirs looks more lifelike, but I cannot see this. Nikki did go on to say that if they were looking to collect 19th & 20th Century Military models that they would go for Chas Stadden every time. So there is another one for you guys to kick around. Lets here your thoughts on this point guys.
Bernard.
MOUNT UP.

I'm a long-time collector of ST Petersburg figures (they may well be my retirement plan at this point!! :rolleyes: ) - mostly medieval and elite series, and certainly in this area I agree with Nikki - St Pete is WAY ahead of anyone else in painting and sculpting.

As for 19-20th C figures, I have not paid attention to these St Pete figures very much, and my refernce for (factory?) painted Staddens is from memory, but I think the painting, poses and detail on the St Pete are still better than Staddens. I also think the 19-20th C figures are on the low end of the St Pete range in terms of sculpture and painting. They simply do not present the "Wow!" factor possibilities of, say, a medieval mounted knight. So in some ways this is a comparison of Stadden's high end product to St Pete's low end product. Comparable? I dunno.

Of course this is all personal opinion and I'm not sure what value these "who's better" discussions really have. (The toy soldier equivalent of rooting for one's own sports team ? - another thing that elludes me, I confess!) To me, Stadden is a highly stylized product, ie. created their own style and niche, and that's great. They have a very loyal following. I have not been very attracted to the period or Stadden way of dong things. This is not to say Stadden is inferior in any way, just not to my historical or aesthetic taste. OTOH, St Pete never fails to blow me away, regardless of the subject.

No offense meant to anyone here.

I'm a long-time collector of ST Petersburg figures (they may well be my retirement plan at this point!! :rolleyes: ) - mostly medieval and elite series, and certainly in this area I agree with Nikki - St Pete is WAY ahead of anyone else in painting and sculpting.

As for 19-20th C figures, I have not paid attention to these St Pete figures very much, and my refernce for (factory?) painted Staddens is from memory, but I think the painting, poses and detail on the St Pete are still better than Staddens. I also think the 19-20th C figures are on the low end of the St Pete range in terms of sculpture and painting. They simply do not present the "Wow!" factor possibilities of, say, a medieval mounted knight. So in some ways this is a comparison of Stadden's high end product to St Pete's low end product. Comparable? I dunno.

Of course this is all personal opinion and I'm not sure what value these "who's better" discussions really have. (The toy soldier equivalent of rooting for one's own sports team ? - another thing that elludes me, I confess!) To me, Stadden is a highly stylized product, ie. created their own style and niche, and that's great. They have a very loyal following. I have not been very attracted to the period or Stadden way of dong things. This is not to say Stadden is inferior in any way, just not to my historical or aesthetic taste. OTOH, St Pete never fails to blow me away, regardless of the subject.

No offense meant to anyone here.
Fully agree, Aeroart are a different ball game, IMHO.

Paulo

You can order directly from AeroArt, if you like. They don't list their dealers, but Tor and Nikki are great folks, and I'm sure if you e-mailed them they'd give you an answer.

Thanks for the response. I had hoped to avoid the dreaded customs duty if I could have obtained the figures I want in the UK. In addition, I thought Aeroart was a Russian company, but apparently this is incorrect.
After a few phone calls and emails, it turns out that I'll have to order from the States after all. So, I'll fire off an email to Aeroart and see what feedback I get.

Thanks Again
Harry

I was lucky enough to be able to purchase some St. Pete figures about 10 years ago. I have some ancient Greek (Spartans) and Persian infantry but the gems are the 3 mounted figures. I have a Polish winged lancer which is great and 2 Knights with banners. The detail on the mounted figures has to be seen to be believed. The knights have removable helmets with working visors. Everything about these figures is miles ahead of any other figure I own. Can no longer afford to add to their numbers but I am sure pleased to have the few I do. These are real museum-quality figures. -- lancer

Thanks for the response. I had hoped to avoid the dreaded customs duty if I could have obtained the figures I want in the UK. In addition, I thought Aeroart was a Russian company, but apparently this is incorrect.
After a few phone calls and emails, it turns out that I'll have to order from the States after all. So, I'll fire off an email to Aeroart and see what feedback I get.

Thanks Again
Harry

I can see why you want to purchase these in the UK. I'm a bit surprised there are no dealers there. Tor and Nikki - you need to get on that!! :)

AreoArt commissions figures in Russia but handles the distribution from America. They were really the first company to have the idea of commissioning figures in Russia for sale elsewhere, and I believe they are largely responsible for the success of these figures in the US and elsewhere. Seeing their success, others have since followed their business model, but IMHO, none are better.

I don't know the UK tax structure, but perhaps it might be worthwhile to come to the US and attend a show where Tor is selling his figures and buy there. Would it save the duty? I believe there is a list on the web site of shows they are attending in the US, if you're interested.

I was bitten by this bug very early in their sales career. I saw them at MFCA and had to have them. I bought several every time I saw them, then stared odering by mail. I have other brands, but frankly , none are of as high a quality. Whatever you have to go thru to get these figures, you will not be disappointed.

Good luck.

..... But what I would argue is their sculpting is no better than the Chas Models especially on the horses, would like (spitfrnd) thoughts on this he is the real life horse expert. ....
MOUNT UP.
Overall I think the AeroArt sculpting does a very good job with equine anatomy. They are less impressive with equine motion and to a lesser extent, coloring. For example, a number of their poses place the horse in a very improbable position and I am still waiting to find a horse coloring to match the Turkish warrior posted recently. Unfortunately, I have not seen any mounted Stadden figures so I can help with the comparison. I can say that of the less expensive choices, only First Legion does a better job on horses.

AeroArt painting and detail on human uniforms and faces is hard to beat IMHO.

Aeroart is an american company operated by Thor and Nikki. They deal with a variety of different Russian artists and studios. However, these artists and studios change from time to time. So with "aeroart" products you are going to see a variety of different sculptors and painters. They have a high standard, but its difficult to talk in general about a particular aeroart style.

Overall I think the AeroArt sculpting does a very good job with equine anatomy. They are less impressive with equine motion and to a lesser extent, coloring. For example, a number of their poses place the horse in a very improbable position and I am still waiting to find a horse coloring to match the Turkish warrior posted recently. Unfortunately, I have not seen any mounted Stadden figures so I can help with the comparison[/B]. I can say that of the less expensive choices, only First Legion does a better job on horses.

AeroArt painting and detail on human uniforms and faces is hard to beat IMHO.

Yo Trooper, thanks for your opinion always honest, have to agree about the colour of the Turkish Horse, and the painting is unbelievable, some of them on the Russian site look like they were painted by Michel Angelo.
WHATS this not seen any Mounted Stadden's, you mean I haved wasted my time putting photos in my albums:(.
Bernard.

Yo Trooper, thanks for your opinion always honest, have to agree about the colour of the Turkish Horse, and the painting is unbelievable, some of them on the Russian site look like they were painted by Michel Angelo.
WHATS this not seen any Mounted Stadden's, you mean I haved wasted my time putting photos in my albums:(.
Bernard.
My sincere apologies Benard. I am afraid I tend to forget about the Album function here; totally my fault. I will remedy that forthwith.:eek:

Aeroart is an american company operated by Thor and Nikki. They deal with a variety of different Russian artists and studios. However, these artists and studios change from time to time. So with "aeroart" products you are going to see a variety of different sculptors and painters. They have a high standard, but its difficult to talk in general about a particular aeroart style.

It should also be noted that the sculpts are not always exclusive to a specific Russian studio. For instance here is the same figure from two different sources. On the left is Aeroart and by extension the studio they commisioned to do it. On the right is the figure I had done by Nevskaya Miniatura

Attachments

• 6220.jpg
    6220.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 307
  • sa08_f.JPG
    sa08_f.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 324
It should also be noted that the sculpts are not always exclusive to a specific Russian studio. For instance here is the same figure from two different sources. On the left is Aeroart and by extension the studio they commisioned to do it. On the right is the figure I had done by Nevskaya Miniatura

That's very interesting. I thought the sculpts belonged to each house/manufacturer. Are you sure that's true generally, or might this figure an exception for whatever reason. I don't recall seeing many look-alike sculpts, but then again I'm not really comparing other brands.

Thanks!

That's very interesting. I thought the sculpts belonged to each house/manufacturer. Are you sure that's true generally, or might this figure an exception for whatever reason. I don't recall seeing many look-alike sculpts, but then again I'm not really comparing other brands.

Thanks!

I thought the same thing until I saw duplicate figures. I posed the following question to Boris from Kolobob back in 2008:

"I was under the impression that the SAxx series of Samurai was a Kolobob exclusive line (produced by Nevskaya Miniatura ?)"

...and here was his response:

"No; those models are not exclusive either for AeroArt, or for Kolobob/Nevskaya Miniatura. SAxx are internal numbers of Nevskaya Miniatura; such soldiers could be produced for all customers (Kolobob; AeroArt or others) However, AeroArt has special conditions for these models, since Mr. Johnson place large orders to produce those soldiers"

I thought the same thing until I saw duplicate figures. I posed the following question to Boris from Kolobob back in 2008:

"I was under the impression that the SAxx series of Samurai was a Kolobob exclusive line (produced by Nevskaya Miniatura ?)"

...and here was his response:

"No; those models are not exclusive either for AeroArt, or for Kolobob/Nevskaya Miniatura. SAxx are internal numbers of Nevskaya Miniatura; such soldiers could be produced for all customers (Kolobob; AeroArt or others) However, AeroArt has special conditions for these models, since Mr. Johnson place large orders to produce those soldiers"

Well, knock me over with a feather! :confused:

I guess I'll have to keep a much sharper eye on the sculpts. It does make sense that the sculpts would be shared. I tend to buy from sources other than St Pete only when I find a figure I like that they don't carry. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Well, knock me over with a feather! :confused:

I guess I'll have to keep a much sharper eye on the sculpts. It does make sense that the sculpts would be shared. I tend to buy from sources other than St Pete only when I find a figure I like that they don't carry. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Some truly are exclusive. Many of the Nevskaya Miniatura pieces sold as Kolobob are but I guess they augment their own sculpts with those on the market. In the case of Nevskaya Miniatura they also do kits available from manufacturers such as Pegaso. I have only seen one Russian Vityaz piece sold as Aeroart but in that case the catalogue number wasn't even changed so perhaps RV was the source.

Russian Vityaz PB22 (6th from the bottom)
http://ruvit.ru/ru/pages/315/?>

Aeroart PB22
http://www.aeroartinc.com/military_miniatures/product_gallery/display.asp?product=PB22w&col=St. Petersburg Collection

Nevskaya Miniatura SA08
http://www.soldiers-neva.com/redirect.php?app=gallary&run=1&page=0&lang=en

Aeroart 6224.3
http://www.aeroartinc.com/military_miniatures/product_gallery/display.asp?product=6224.3&col=St. Petersburg Collection

Nevskaya Miniatura SA09

Aeroart 6223
http://www.aeroartinc.com/military_miniatures/product_gallery/display.asp?product=6223&col=St. Petersburg Collection

Some truly are exclusive. Many of the Nevskaya Miniatura pieces sold as Kolobob are but I guess they augment their own sculpts with those on the market. In the case of Nevskaya Miniatura they also do kits available from manufacturers such as Pegaso. I have only seen one Russian Vityaz piece sold as Aeroart but in that case the catalogue number wasn't even changed so perhaps RV was the source.

Russian Vityaz PB22 (6th from the bottom)
http://ruvit.ru/ru/pages/315/?>

Aeroart PB22
http://www.aeroartinc.com/military_miniatures/product_gallery/display.asp?product=PB22w&col=St. Petersburg Collection

Nevskaya Miniatura SA08

Aeroart 6224.3
http://www.aeroartinc.com/military_miniatures/product_gallery/display.asp?product=6224.3&col=St. Petersburg Collection

Nevskaya Miniatura SA09

Aeroart 6223
http://www.aeroartinc.com/military_miniatures/product_gallery/display.asp?product=6223&col=St. Petersburg Collection

Thanks, Frank. You know your sculpts!! Looks like you enjoy the samurai. I do too, and really can't get enough of them. Have not been on the AeroArt site for a while, and you've reminded me what goodies are there. I think I feel an order coming on!

Maximilian from Aeroart:

Attachments

• PB14_3Main.jpg
    PB14_3Main.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,083
It is a beautiful piece. Can you imagine riding a horse dressed like that or for that matter dressing like that?:eek::D

The Trophy - 1806:

Attachments

• S8-F50-04.jpg
    S8-F50-04.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 914
I've been sitting on an idea to display some of my Samurai figures for some time. Today I decided to do something about it. I hope you like it.

Samurai Portrait 1:

Samurai6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back