Darkest Hour (2 Viewers)

King & Country

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

Over the years Sir Winston Churchill has been chosen by millions of his fellow countrymen and women as the 'Greatest Ever British Leader'... Statues, paintings, portraits and many television programmes and motion pictures easily confirm this. This week the film 'DARKEST HOUR' is going on international release.

Starring Gary Oldman as the great man himself it tells the story of the first dramatic few weeks after Churchill became British Prime Minister on May 10, 1940. In recognition of the film and as a reminder of Sir Winston here are the 5 x currently available 'Churchill' figurines designed and produced by King & Country.
To paraphrase one of the most famous 'Churchillian' quotes... "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to just one man..."

Best wishes,
Andy

1_700.jpg

Here's to the British Bulldog - neat to see all the Churchill figures currently available. I think I may have one of the older variety (and probably my personal favorite):

Victory by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

Churchill and His Generals 1 by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

I have the master proof of this set, a gift from Andy at the farewell dinner of the last Symposium he has attended to date. What great good fortune the free world had that we were led by Sir Winston and FDR during WWII.

A visit to the Home Guard. Robin.

Attachments

• P4020001.jpg
    P4020001.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 413
  • P4020004.jpg
    P4020004.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 403
I have the master proof of this set, a gift from Andy at the farewell dinner of the last Symposium he has attended to date. What great good fortune the free world had that we were led by Sir Winston and FDR during WWII.

I don't known if that statement holds true for all of the free world I would think a lot of Australians might have a different opinion on him but most certainly a great war time leader for Britian.

Mark

I don't known if that statement holds true for all of the free world I would think a lot of Australians might have a different opinion on him but most certainly a great war time leader for Britian.

Mark

In re Gallipoli there was plenty of blame to go around.

In re Gallipoli there was plenty of blame to go around.

Not just Gallipoli it was also refusal to send troops back from Middle East when we were under threat by the Japanese.

Reason why most Australians see US as our Allies rather than Britian

Mark

My younger brother just spent some two weeks in Australia and was much impressed by the friendiness of the "Aussies." A bit difficult to understand the accent, though. On the other hand, he is originally from the Mid-West of the USA, but has lived in the UK since 1977. So there his accent to the locals seems a bit "colonial," while back in the States he sounds "English." A man without a country? ^&grin

Churchill was a strong leader during Britain's darkest hours IMO.
Shame he was pushed away and replaced once the war was over.

Wayne

Not just Gallipoli it was also refusal to send troops back from Middle East when we were under threat by the Japanese.

Reason why most Australians see US as our Allies rather than Britian

Mark

Good post Mark, few folks outside of Australia & NZ seem to be aware of the extent of the 'stand-off' between Britain and Australia, (including New Zealand) when both countries were being threatened by the Japanese while the bulk of our troops were supporting Britain in the desert campaign.

While the Aussie Government stood firm against Churchill's insistence that their troops remain in the desert, our Government succumbed to huge pressure to remain and eventually be sent to fight in Italy.

All this after Churchill nearly losing our entire Second Division to the debacle that was Greece, which later led to the stranding of many British and Commonwealth troops on Crete.

I have enormous respect for the man and his achievements, but thank god for the US Marines and our Aussie cousins. :salute::

Good post Mark, few folks outside of Australia & NZ seem to be aware of the extent of the 'stand-off' between Britain and Australia, (including New Zealand) when both countries were being threatened by the Japanese while the bulk of our troops were supporting Britain in the desert campaign.

While the Aussie Government stood firm against Churchill's insistence that their troops remain in the desert, our Government succumbed to huge pressure to remain and eventually be sent to fight in Italy.

All this after Churchill nearly losing our entire Second Division to the debacle that was Greece, which later led to the stranding of many British and Commonwealth troops on Crete.

I have enormous respect for the man and his achievements, but thank god for the US Marines and our Aussie cousins. :salute::

Hi Guys,
While taking away nothing from the justified criticism of Winston Churchill by our Aussie and Kiwi cousins...

It's worth noting the global decision making he was involved in at this critical time of the Second World War was truly monumental...

Between 1940 and 1942 Britain was most definitely on the defensive and fighting (not very successfully) on numerous fronts in North Africa, The Atlantic, The Mediterrenean and the Far East PLUS trying to supply, since June 1941, the Soviets.

Reading numerous accounts of this period it would often seem that from a British military point of view 'Anything that could go wrong usually did go wrong!'

Lots of mistakes and grave errors were made and did cause defeats and deaths that with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight could have been avoided. Churchill made more than his fair share of them...However...

In the grand scheme of things he got a lot more right than wrong...And, importantly, it takes time to forge a fighting force, bring military leaders forward (at all levels) and build the men and machines that will take the battle to the enemy and help overcome them. This is what Churchill's amazing energy, incredible imagination and forceful leadership eventually did.

Great men have Great faults and all are imperfect but, at the end of the day, Winston Churchill's great faults in pursuit of victory were far eclipsed by his even greater achievements in helping lead and inspire Great Britain and her Empire and their Allies to a resounding Victory in 1945.

Best wishes,
Andy.

Hi Guys,
While taking away nothing from the justified criticism of Winston Churchill by our Aussie and Kiwi cousins...

It's worth noting the global decision making he was involved in at this critical time of the Second World War was truly monumental...

Between 1940 and 1942 Britain was most definitely on the defensive and fighting (not very successfully) on numerous fronts in North Africa, The Atlantic, The Mediterrenean and the Far East PLUS trying to supply, since June 1941, the Soviets.

Reading numerous accounts of this period it would often seem that from a British military point of view 'Anything that could go wrong usually did go wrong!'

Lots of mistakes and grave errors were made and did cause defeats and deaths that with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight could have been avoided. Churchill made more than his fair share of them...However...

In the grand scheme of things he got a lot more right than wrong...And, importantly, it takes time to forge a fighting force, bring military leaders forward (at all levels) and build the men and machines that will take the battle to the enemy and help overcome them. This is what Churchill's amazing energy, incredible imagination and forceful leadership eventually did.

Great men have Great faults and all are imperfect but, at the end of the day, Winston Churchill's great faults in pursuit of victory were far eclipsed by his even greater achievements in helping lead and inspire Great Britain and her Empire and their Allies to a resounding Victory in 1945.

Best wishes,
Andy.

I couldn’t agree more! No one is capable of only making the right decisions and choices, but what ultimately counts is the overall accomplishments and the end results. IMHO if there was a contest to choose the 20th century’s greatest leader, Churchill would win 1st place fair and square! In the context of decision-making consequences, as a whole, at the end of the day, his decision to fight and “never surrender” might well be the greatest historical and far reaching move compared to any other made by any leader since 1918 to date (100 years!). It would have made sense under the odds and interests of the British Empire in those summer days of 1940 to compromise with Germany, and God knows what would our World be like today...

This was K & C's first Churchill figure. Obviously, sculpting, etc. has improved since the early 90s but still a great figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back