Das Boot - King and Country Style! (1 Viewer)

I have gone back to this thread a dozen times .... and I can't think of a word that describes how wonderful it is. Being very partial to submarines :rolleyes: I can't stop studying how expertly the U-Boat was built and weathered. As mentioned by Guy, all the figures work so well together.

Heck, I can smell the salt air and hear the cheers for the home coming crew on this one.

If I may inquire, what is the U-Boat construction material ... Polystyrene? / Wood? / Resin?

Okay ... time for ANOTHER look.

Super, super nice dio! {sm4}

--- LaRRy

Ray made a sub but it was just cardboard. He was not happy with the look so built this one with a balsa wood base and then covered it in cardboard. I will hunt up further details but you know these diorama types - they say 'It is only' or 'It is not hard, all I did was ...'

Very cool scene and everything works so well together, I can't get over the U-boat. Great job all around. I have done a few 19th century boats (mortar barge and a launch) and they are tricky regardless of what age they come from. Chris

I`ve been away from the forum for a few months (things have been a little bumpy in Brazil lately...) but I`m glad that when I return I stumble on this! Simply amazing Jack! Its certainly one of the best Kreigsmarine dios I`ve ever seen here on the forum, if not the best! The work on the U-boat is fantastic! Too bad I live literally on the other side of the world and so the K&C Dinner in Brisbane is a little out of the way...{sm4}{sm4}{sm4} Please post as may pictures as you can when the event takes place next July, so all of us here in the forum may share what will certainly be an unforgettable occasion!

I would like to sincerely thank Jack for starting this thread and to Barneywomble for his most impressive photos which really make the scene come alive.
I guess some further information would be appreciated by all those that have commented on my diorama. I also thank all of you that have commented. You have been most kind.
The boat is U57, a Type IIC u boat used operationally at the commencement of hostilities in WW2. These boats were approx 136 feet long which is 136cm long in 1/30 scale.
The boat is entering Wilhelmshaven harbour in Germany under the command of Caplt Korth on 23 Feb 1940 after a successful patrol (you will note the tonnage pennants being hoisted on the Captains capstan).
It has the running devil emblem with a cocked hat. Later versions had the devil with a torch and flame.
The hull is moulded balsa wood covered with cardboard and the conning tower is all cardboard it is 1/30 scale(apart from a little artistic licence which is another story).
I built it from scratch after unsuccessfully trying to make a boat completely out of cardboard. It would be remiss of me not to thank my good friend Bob H for his support and encouragement to go the ' extra mile " with this boat, in that there is a bit more to the boat that you cant really see in the photos.
There are decking plates and hatches that open in the bow and stern to allow stores and torpedos to be loaded.
This allows for a different scene to be set up without the crowd and has the boat being resupplied.
There are also about 3 or 4 separate stories going on in this diorama which adds to the interest(I hope).
The figures on the dock that are operating cranes or getting stores organised are Figarti figures from the V1 series plus some from the Karl Morser add on set..
The extra figures in the rubberised wet whether gear and sou'westers are converted by me from the Del Prado firemen series.
All other figures are either K&C, Kronprinz, Thomas Gunn or TCS. Some of these have also been modified/converted.
If anyone has any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks again,
Ray K.

Hello Ray .... okay simply put ... you are a master craftsman.

I have built various model U-Boats as well as other subs out of vacuum formed plastic (not kits!) and resin. I tried "ONE" out of wood but could never get it to look right ... :mad:. (I try to post some of the ones I've done, but now I might be a bit intimidated. {sm2}

What I am most impressed by is the SHARP and CRISP edges of the hull and sail (conning tower) as well as the perfectly formed drainage holes in the outer hull. The weathering is expertly done. Just like Goldilocks ... to to much, not to little ... just right. I will be looking forward to other setups using this model in future dioramas.

Really, really well done.

--- LaRRy

What a fantastic diorama! Do you think we'll ever see K&C release some new Kriegsmarine (KM)? Thomas Gunn has some new action posed KM. LINK

EDIT:

Although I'm not sure if I can fit a U-boat in this scene:{sm2}

Kriegsmarine Port with Building (3) by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

It's a pity that KC don't create new figures to the kriegsmarine range. There a lot of things that they could include....some of the top ten U-Boat aces., auxiliary personal.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back