Dead... dying... wounded... captured! (1 Viewer)

Praetorian

Hi Guys,

One of the reasons King & Country does not produce so many of these is that they do not sell in the same quantities as other sets and figures sell in.

That being said, all of us here appreciate the extra realism they do bring to any battlefield scenario and we will continue to introduce dead, wounded, dying and captured figures into a series as and when we think they are appropriate… and when we think we can actually sell a few.

Happy Collecting!

More Germans Wounded in action, like DD28, would be great:cool:

Hi Guys,

One of the reasons King & Country does not produce so many of these is that they do not sell in the same quantities as other sets and figures sell in.

That being said, all of us here appreciate the extra realism they do bring to any battlefield scenario and we will continue to introduce dead, wounded, dying and captured figures into a series as and when we think they are appropriate… and when we think we can actually sell a few.

Happy Collecting!

This would be much appreciated.I for one missed out on the D Day casualty figures and would love to see K&C do an updated release of this set,the quality of todays figures would make this a must have.All dead and wounded are welcome though as i really think they can add realism to the scene.You only need look at the scene you posted the other day featuring the Big Red 1 figures,the dead German next to his motorbike was very realistic. Keep em coming!

Rob

This would be much appreciated.I for one missed out on the D Day casualty figures and would love to see K&C do an updated release of this set,the quality of todays figures would make this a must have.All dead and wounded are welcome though as i really think they can add realism to the scene.You only need look at the scene you posted the other day featuring the Big Red 1 figures,the dead German next to his motorbike was very realistic. Keep em coming!

Rob

Excellent point Rob, it is very realistic......

Cheers

Excellent point Rob, it is very realistic......

Cheers

Thank you mate.I know people are divided on this issue and some don't like the dead figures,however not only do they add realism they remind us of the price paid for our freedom.Just my opinion of course.:)

Rob

Hi Guys,

Happy Collecting!

Andrew

I have a question - which I believe everyone is interested in too !

What is the normal run for a Figure Set? and an Individual Figure? Is it 1,200? 1,500? or less than that ??

Without giving away trade secrets - what are the runs on K&C UK - Crimean War "CHARGE" series ?? I am interested in what makes a speciality range?

Thanks, Ron

I'm one of those that isn't all that keen on the dead or dying figures. I would never buy a set of just dead figures but I can understand why people see thay add realism to dios.

As long as it is from a range I collect, I would buy them.

Thank you mate.I know people are divided on this issue and some don't like the dead figures,however not only do they add realism they remind us of the price paid for our freedom.Just my opinion of course.:)

Rob

Yes indeed my friend. We can not deny the sad reality of WWII. For the first time in modern history civilians were the victims of a major conflict. As a Diorama builder, I will be very happy to have dead and wounded soldiers to add in my collection, even civilians will be welcome too.

Rod.

Yes indeed my friend. We can not deny the sad reality of WWII. For the first time in modern history civilians were the victims of a major conflict. As a Diorama builder, I will be very happy to have dead and wounded soldiers to add in my collection, even civilians will be welcome too.

Rod.

Hi Rod,
Although at one time I was in the opposite camp regarding WWII dead, dying and wounded figures, I've been persuaded by friends on this forum that yes, they do add some gritty realisim and impact to a diorama or even just a simple display.
As for civilians, I find the depiction of dead and dying innocent (or otherwise) non-combatants more dificult. All due respect for collectors who would wish to have these available, and not having a pop at anyone, but where do you draw the line on what's acceptable..??

a) London Blitz victims? I suppose you could have a dio that pays a quiet tribute to the rescue services - this could be done in quite a fitting way.

b) Refugees? I certainly wouldn't want to depict victims of a straffing run in France 1940 for example - but I suppose it depends how it's done. Would you also show a row of decapitated baled-out aircrew heads beside the civilian casualties to add balance..??

c) A row of machine-gunned civvies against a wall - killed in reprisal for partisan attacks.....not for me..!!

Don't get me wrong, I would welcome civilian figures, but me personally I would only use dead, dying, maimed, etc. civvies if it was in context with a larger story I'm trying to tell. Which rules out options b) and c) for me.
How about;

d) Liberated (in both senses of the word) young ladies mobbing a (Scottish Regiment of course) tank as it drives, hmmm - very slowly, through their Dutch town.

e) A NAAFI mobile kitchen, with some figures handing out cups of char and plates of bangers & mash (or Heaven help us) bacon & powdered egg.

f) Early Dad's Army figures (Local Defence Volunteer's). These could be depicted in mainly civvie clothes, guarding airfields, observation posts, or in a scenario such as option a) above. They could even be mixed with the available French Resistance figures to boost the partisan ranks in occupied Europe.

g) Civvies under fire, as in the famous filmreels of street fighting in Paris 1944. Several of the French Resistance figures would also fit right into a scene such as this.

h) And, getting right to where I think you're coming from Rod.....German civilians caught up in the Battle of Berlin...:cool:

Just a few random thoughts.

Cheers Mate
H

Hi Rod,
Although at one time I was in the opposite camp regarding WWII dead, dying and wounded figures, I've been persuaded by friends on this forum that yes, they do add some gritty realisim and impact to a diorama or even just a simple display.
As for civilians, I find the depiction of dead and dying innocent (or otherwise) non-combatants more dificult. All due respect for collectors who would wish to have these available, and not having a pop at anyone, but where do you draw the line on what's acceptable..??

This has been an interesting thread. I have to echo the question raised above regarding where the line is drawn? If we really want to get realistic then we should have all manner of smashed and shredded casaulties. Are missing limbs too graphic? How about burned to a crisp? Is blood acceptable, if so how much? Will dead people have their eyes open or will they be conveniently shut?

Personally I'm fine with showing the ugly side of war. Hopefully something can be learned from it. I much prefer the more recent war films with a more accurate depiction of the violence to the earlier films where it was often depicted as a big adventure, happy music and all.

I've attached a couple pictures of a Pegaso samurai figure that I quite like and I'd like peoples thoughts. Are trophy heads OK or too graphic? What if it is historically accurate?

Frank

Attachments

• 54-513_samurai.jpg
    54-513_samurai.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 54513_samurai_b.jpg
    54513_samurai_b.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 89
I have the four dead Germans that came out long time ago. I found out that if you have a small diorama, you do not need dead or even wounded figures. However, as I started to experiment with larger dioramas, I realized that dead and wounded figures were necessary. My current North African diorama (actually, I cal it "The Road to Baghdad, 1943") is 4ft. by 6ft.. The only way to keep it realistic is if I only include the non fighting figures. But when I made it into a British assault on a German-held oasis, I realized that I needed dead and wounded on both sides Right now my diorama illustrates a LRDG raid on a German outpost, even with this limited form of combat I need casualties.

As far civilians is concerned. I think it would depend on the scenario. I would not mind French civilians welcoming the Allies, astounded Parisians watching Hitler's tour of Paris, Frenchmen caught in the cross-fire between Wermacht and La REsistance, a couple of Bedouins or Tuaregs crossing paths with a German patrol and definitely I would love German civilians for the LAH series. However, I do not think that civilians for the Berlin series is a good idea given the sadistic savagery with which the Russians treated Berliners , especially the women who were subjected to usnpeakable acts.
I believe that historical realism is good, but certain episodes are hard for me to stomach. One of the reasons I like the North African campaign so much is because it was the last campaign in which civilians suffered the least, relatively speaking.

Gil

Hi Frank:

I think the figures look great, and eventhough they are brutal, they are not grotesque. I believe the artist captured the horror and brutality of Japanese feudal warfare, but is able to put a distance between the horror of the scene and the viewer, a distance that enables you to appreciate the nature of warfare in a realistic but detached way. I think I spoke in a different tread about this issue. The threshold of tolerance of brutal realism is directly related to the historical distance of the event. In other words, Mongol atrocities OK, WWII atrocities not OK, although that is begining to change (just look at the number of computer games where the main attraction is actually playing the German side).
I do not think that you would find many objection to the artistically executed figures that you just showed, but can you imagine any toy soldier maker producing an image of an Iraqi insurgent with the head of an American Marine?! In time, however, who knows what collectors will be willing to tolerate...

I kind of agree with both Frank and Gil on this one. The further back in history that brutal scenes are depicted, the more acceptable they seem to become to me. Up to WWII sort of becomes okay.
I certainly believe that 99.999999R% of TS collectors would be repulsed by a figure of an Iraqi insurgent holding up the decapitated head of a US Marine (or anyone else for that matter).

H

I don't have much use for them in 1/30 scale because the size of the models makes it difficult to display battle scenes realistically on my shelves. Personally I would prefer if the dead and wounded were issued in separate sets rather than mixed in with other sets as you either have a need for those poses or you don't. For example I feel the 'Mine Laying Surprise' set would be more popular if it was made of four GI's, similar to the 8th Army Mine Laying set, rather than include the two shot Germans.

The reason being that the split between collectors of combat and non combat poses is about 50/50 based on the polls I have seen. Therefore the 'Mine Laying Surprise' set is useless to about 50% of collectors as they don't require the shot Germans for battle scenes. However if the shot/dead etc figures were in separate sets it would allow more efficient marketing of these poses, at least imho.

This indeed is turning into a very interesting thread,its good to read all the different opinions here.Perhaps i should try and put my view into context as it were.In my figure cabinets i have six shelves for Allied D Day figures.Two of the shelves are beach scenes one British one American.I have all the US Beach figures including the excellant set with medic and wounded figures.I think a set of dead and wounded figures in this range would be fully in context and realistic.Its also a gentle reminder as i 'play' with my collection of what we are really talking about here.This is even more so in the case of somewhere like Omaha where the casualties were horrendous.

However i also agree with Harry.The idea of a set of civilians having been machine gunned against a wall is absolutely of no interest to me and is in my opinion of the same ilk of the LAH sets.I make a distinction between remembering millions of young men who gave up their lives for us and the murder of innocent civilians by a hideous regime.I know some people may think this is a contradiction but it works for me!!

Harry mentioned above a topic that has been talked about on this forum for a while now and that is a 'Home Front'.I think this is a great idea and i'd love to see it.ARP/Police/Home Guard/Civilians the list is endless,however once again the idea of Blitz victims is i think a no go area and would not go down well.Its as was said earlier all about where you draw your own personal boundaries,i choose to remember the monumental sacrafice of Battle and not the slaughter of innocent civilians.

Just my view guys:)

Rob

This indeed is turning into a very interesting thread,its good to read all the different opinions here.Perhaps i should try and put my view into context as it were.In my figure cabinets i have six shelves for Allied D Day figures.Two of the shelves are beach scenes one British one American.I have all the US Beach figures including the excellant set with medic and wounded figures.I think a set of dead and wounded figures in this range would be fully in context and realistic.Its also a gentle reminder as i 'play' with my collection of what we are really talking about here.This is even more so in the case of somewhere like Omaha where the casualties were horrendous.

However i also agree with Harry.The idea of a set of civilians having been machine gunned against a wall is absolutely of no interest to me and is in my opinion of the same ilk of the LAH sets.I make a distinction between remembering millions of young men who gave up their lives for us and the murder of innocent civilians by a hideous regime.I know some people may think this is a contradiction but it works for me!!

Harry mentioned above a topic that has been talked about on this forum for a while now and that is a 'Home Front'.I think this is a great idea and i'd love to see it.ARP/Police/Home Guard/Civilians the list is endless,however once again the idea of Blitz victims is i think a no go area and would not go down well.Its as was said earlier all about where you draw your own personal boundaries,i choose to remember the monumental sacrafice of Battle and not the slaughter of innocent civilians.

Just my view guys:)

Rob

Excellent post in an excellent thread Rob.
Just about says it all, I think.

Cheers
H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back