Death of the toy soldier collector. (2 Viewers)

Simpson & his donkey.

Sergeant Major
Hi guys how many of you out there are going to call it quits over the next year.I do not want to get into reasons why the prices are going up or this has caused this and such has deamed these cost increases.But I want to hear from the working guy who is raising a family and finding it tough to have money left over for lets say toys.I am still in the game so far but I have to collect only a few sets each year and I am finding it hard to choose.When I first started to collect K&C say Four years ago I thought how dear they were and how can I manage this hobby of mine.Well the times have changed and the prices have risen and the OZ dollar has died and this leaves me with can I continue.It will be a shame if I fall by the way as I have a great little collection just starting to take shape.Are there any collectors out there not going to start or stay with toy soldiers because it is becoming something only the rich & famous can collect.I remember playing dirt wars with my Airfix soldiers under the house as a kid and you no what they were all killed and no one won the battle.I guess I am facing another battle now with cost.Sure hope I can win this one.Simmo.:confused::confused:

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest "... the death of... ". Times change and maybe some of us will have to take a second look at our collecting habits. Those of us who wish to remain collectors can scale back or select alternatives. Some of us may choose to start collecting a smaller scale of figure. Some may limit the number of ranges we collect or number of figures we acquire. Others may choose to paint their own figures from castings or plastics. I had bought some CTA Napoleonic and English Civil War plastics several years ago that I intended to paint myself but, never got around to it because the pre-painted metal figures available were still affordable. I plan to get my paint brushes out of the closet and possibly discover some hidden talents! I have decided to cut my soldier budget by 50% in the new year, so you are not alone. I enjoy this hobby and will remain a collector in any capacity I can. :)

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest "... the death of... ". Times change and maybe some of us will have to take a second look at our collecting habits. Those of us who wish to remain collectors can scale back or select alternatives. Some of us may choose to start collecting a smaller scale of figure. Some may limit the number of ranges we collect or number of figures we acquire. Others may choose to paint their own figures from castings or plastics. I had bought some CTA Napoleonic and English Civil War plastics several years ago that I intended to paint myself but, never got around to it because the pre-painted metal figures available were still affordable. I plan to get my paint brushes out of the closet and possibly discover some hidden talents! I have decided to cut my soldier budget by 50% in the new year, so you are not alone. I enjoy this hobby and will remain a collector in any capacity I can. :)

Good for you mate I will be happy if I can stay within 10% of what I have bought.The Tanks for me are out of the question as just to much but if a Russian tank appears I will have to give up eating for a couple of weeks.Simmo.

Yes prices are rising but i like to think they would have to go a lot higher before i gave up completely.What i find these days is that every purchase is thought about and considered in relation to all the ranges i collect,also all retirements or likely retirements also go into the mix.Although this is a lot of consideration it does mean i'm really sure about everything i buy.Actually if anything i'm very slighty up on the money i've spent this year compared to last year.I'll be happy if i can just have the same budget for next year.

Rob

I am very lucky that Brett at the Military Workshop has helped me out many times with swaping things and doing deals to help me out and keeping things and letting me pay them off just to keep me in the game but there is only so much he can do as a bussiness to try to keep his collectors going .K&C should give him a VC for the amount of help he has given us collectors in Australia to try to expand sales and increase and bring new blood into toy soldier collecting.Maybe if he was able to sell off lines at discount to collectors who have been with him along time this may help in these times of troubles.Just a idea which mite help out some of us strugglers.Thanks Brett. Simmo.

Yes prices are rising but i like to think they would have to go a lot higher before i gave up completely.What i find these days is that every purchase is thought about and considered in relation to all the ranges i collect,also all retirements or likely retirements also go into the mix.Although this is a lot of consideration it does mean i'm really sure about everything i buy.Actually if anything i'm very slighty up on the money i've spent this year compared to last year.I'll be happy if i can just have the same budget for next year.

Rob

Rob you are lucky you can stay at the same price spent year after year .If I had the money I would have the best collection in Australia but I have a working wage and I still go over budget.My wife says I can't buy anything all next year.This will be a problem for me as so much I want.I will still hold the K&C flag as long as possible but it's tilting.Simmo.

Rob you are lucky you can stay at the same price spent year after year .If I had the money I would have the best collection in Australia but I have a working wage and I still go over budget.My wife says I can't buy anything all next year.This will be a problem for me as so much I want.I will still hold the K&C flag as long as possible but it's tilting.Simmo.

No doubt about it Simmo prices do sting sometimes,in previous years i had a more carefree attitude about my spending and pretty much got what i wanted,these days are a whole different ball game.Keep hold of that flag mate,you are not alone!;)

Rob

"K&C should give him a VC for the amount of help he has given us collectors in Australia to try to expand sales and increase and bring new blood into toy soldier collecting."

Thanks from me too Brett!

I hope to pick up the odd set , but with
The increase in prices and exchange rate
in the gutter [effectively doubling the price
of any item from $US to$ kiwi ]
I guess I,m at the point where it is darn close to a
Knock out blow.
Although I,m fortunate that I can still afford
It ,spending say $600 kiwi on the new SL
Or $160 for a new nap mounted figure
Just Doesn’t sit right with me at this point.

In my circumstances I don't think it is now feasible for me to buy one or two figures at a time (I import from the US). I will save up to take advantage of the free shipping over $250.00 to the UK that a lot of the dealers offer.

That way atleast this will help to reduce some of the costs, but it is a long wait between birthday, wedding anniversary (I always get a figure for this) and Christmas to add to my collection.

Still I love the AWI series and that period in history and with the new releases coming next year I will be getting what I can when I can, it just won't be as frequently!

I been thankful that I have had the same budget for quite some time now every year to collect. But it is harder these days. Hope it all works out for you.

Titus

I am very lucky that Brett at the Military Workshop has helped me out many times with swaping things and doing deals to help me out and keeping things and letting me pay them off just to keep me in the game but there is only so much he can do as a bussiness to try to keep his collectors going .K&C should give him a VC for the amount of help he has given us collectors in Australia to try to expand sales and increase and bring new blood into toy soldier collecting.Maybe if he was able to sell off lines at discount to collectors who have been with him along time this may help in these times of troubles.Just a idea which mite help out some of us strugglers.Thanks Brett. Simmo.

brett from the military workshop is an absolute asset to the hobby i have been dealing with him for a few years now and the man totally looks after his customers.

I am fortunate that collecting K/C represents only some 10% of my collecting budget..All of my other war eras are satisfied with anything not K/C mfg. who can be bought at considerable less....Being a glossy kind of collector means that ' TOY SOLDIERS ' will always have a place at my house without breaking my personal bank......Michael

I guess it all depends on what you collect. Some of us may be more recession-proof than others.

If you're used to shelling out $30, $40, $50 or more for a finished K&C single foot figure, more for mounted, and hundreds of dollars for vehicles, you're probably tightening your belts.

If you're used to collecting lesser-known figures, or if you paint your own, then the specific events within the hobby, as for example, the much-discussed price increases in lines like K&C, probably won't affect you as much as the broader economic conditions.

Please don't take this as gloating, by the way, it's merely an observation. I'd like that we can each enjoy the hobby in our own way, for that is what a hobby is supposed to be, isn't it?

And for me, as the guy who casts and paints, and buys old Staddens, Gammage/Rose, Imrie-Risley, etc, I've decided it's a good time to stop buying new figures, and instead, to work through the pile I've accumulated on my bench the last 10 years. I've made the same decision for model kits, I have enough, time to build some, rather than buy more.

Chins up, gentlemen, nur Mut haben, times may not be as good as they once were, but they will certain get better again. That is the nature of things.

Prost!
Brad

I am lucky that my sons are grown and out of the house. We still help with some things, and my wife spends more on clothes for the grandchildren than we did for the kids :) I am looking at the current economy as a bump in the road. Things may get worse, but they may get better too! So far I can still afford toys as well as pay the bills. Obviously if theings get tighter I see reductions, but not elimination of "fun" spending. I have become a bit more selective in my purchases but that has also been more in response to not having any space. I have too many "toys" from my various hobbies and the space problem is more annoying than the economy (so far at least). Yes, prices are rising, but we are getting more "bang for the buck" in many ranges. K&C is a great example. I used to own many of the earlier "DD" series vehicles. They were OK, but not nearly as nice as what we are getting now. An example - the early production M24 doesn't belong on the same shelf with the recently produced one. So, I only buy a few vehicles or figure sets each year, but I try to look for the ones that really "speak to me".

Reduce, heck yes, quit - not bloody likely!

Gary B

The father of one of the toy soldier dealers here on the east coast (The Hobby Bunker to be exact) used to own a store called Excalibur Hobbies, it was the mecca for us collectors here in Massachusetts to go to, Bill always had the latest and the greatest stuff available.

He is retired now and works for his son Mr Matt going to a lot of the shows Matt cannot get to due to his responsibilities at the store. At a show this past weekend Bill and I were talking and I asked him what he thinks of all of this economic doom and gloom. His response was when he owned his store, about every ten years or so, there would be a bump in the road regarding the economy and the doom and gloo would start over the hobby; in the end, things right themselves and the hobby carries on.

As a dealer for the past ten years, I have seen this hobby grow and change by leaps and bounds. When I first started, plastic and unpainted metal castings were all the rage, there were "figure shows" sponsored by model figure clubs where toy soldier dealers selling prepainted figures were frowned apon. Glossy toy soldiers from Britains and Imperial and Tradition, etc were the hot sellers and a company called K & C sold the matte finished figures, which were recieved with mixed reactions. I thought they were awesome and wondered why matte finished figures such as theirs weren't as strong sellers; no offense to glossy toy soldier collectors, but I thought the K & C figures were head and shoulders better.

Fast forward ten years and look what we have; plastic toy soldiers are on the downward slope and as near as I can tell, the unpainted castings market is as well. The same shows that didn't want prefinished toy soldier dealers are now dominated by such vendors and the unpainted castings dealers are few and far between and many of the clubs are dying on the vines.

Also, matte finished figures, led by K & C, dominate the toy soldier market these days.

Bottom line is the hobby has never been healthier and although folks may cut back on what they spend, they will keep spending, look no further than the terrific show held in London this past weekend as proof of that.

Long live toy soldiers men..............

brett from the military workshop is an absolute asset to the hobby i have been dealing with him for a few years now and the man totally looks after his customers.

I'll second that. In my dealings with Brett, I always get the sense that he prides himself on great customer service. Important to note that he's also a passionate collector and an enthusiast too, which explains it. Simple :)

I would say K/C is now no longer for me along with other big names.My budget now has gone to plastic.I can pick up one box of plastic for the price of one K/C figure.I now have 16 figures to paint and have more fun.Not the greatest painter but it keeps me busy.If any big purchase I have to take a long hard look at now and save my pennies.This`s from a military family.I have 2 girls and 3 dogs and one GREAT minaster of home defence(MY WIFE).I hope Santa finds everyone is XMAS.
Cheers
Dave Waddell

i know money is tight, but george is right that things will bounce back. my problem is space. there is so much out there to buy but where do you put it. i have been collecting since 1993 and thus have a good size collection. my problem is that i hate to have things boxed up. i want things displayed. thus the room issue. tack on all the boxes you have to store and space becomes an issue. and as a collector i could never dream of selling any of my treasure. what is one to do. i have even contemplated selling all the unbuilt models i have collected over the last 40 yrs. any suggestions?

This year I splurged a bit and bought several connosiuer Crusader figures from AeroArt and other St. Petersburg Collections retailers. All are superbly painted and in my opinion works of art. In the recent few weeks I have seriously compared them with my K&C Crusaders and Saracens and I have come to the conclusion that the additional cost is just not worth it to me. I will continue to purchase the K&C Crusader figures and I hope that 2009 will bring new additions - for me they are still more than affordable. However, I believe my excursion into the more "pricey" collectible figures is over. I am even getting ready to assemble and paint my first 54mm metal kit - a Hospitlar Knight made by Pegaso.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back