Display Question (1 Viewer)

Panzer ace

Lieutenant Colonel
Do any collectors display their figures in a stagnant, stand alone style?

I know many members post photos of figures in dioramas but I rarely see photos of figures and vehicles by themselves.

I know many members post photos of figures in dioramas but I rarely see photos of figures and vehicles by themselves.
I use to do that, however, I found it boring. Now I want them in a display to tell a story. That said, In a year, I may change my mind. LOL

I use to do that, however, I found it boring. Now I want them in a display to tell a story. That said, In a year, I may change my mind. LOL
Thanks for the response, I can appreciate the storytelling aspect.

Hey Jason, not a fan of 'stand alone' type displays myself and have always collected with a diorama in mind, often with only a few figures and a building and/or vehicle in mind. Cheers

Yes, I do that. I may occasionally make a scene but then the figures go back into the case as they were before.

I prefer some of the more static poses on my vintage toy soldiers. I like these better to illustrate the period uniform or dress. Sometimes they are allowed to get out of the boxes and are used for a photo shooting in front of a nice background. But nothing permanent for display,

Brad:

I wanted to do I dio with crusaders but somehow they simply looked better as stand alone figures in a display case.

Best,
Jason
Jason, I started out that way with the K&C Crusader series and now have a small cluster in a small dio. Trust me they look even better when you add a few more....

I have some large 50/60 piece dioramas Napoleonic, Zulu, ACW, WW1 ect and although I love them and enjoy them I find you can loose the definition in individual pieces. Example being my Waterloo where FL Red Lancers are charging FL 1st Foot guards. Because they have to face each other it’s hard to show them all at their best. Also I have some Centurion St Petersburg 60mm in there, KGL and the Rifle Brigade sergeant which although being one of my favourite figures he gets a bit lost. So stand alone can be good because your imagination takes over.

Figures can look great displayed both ways, but I do find that beauty of the individual figure gets a bit gets looked over when employed in mass.
If you enjoy looking at your figures individually, try putting a few of them on risers. This makes the display visually more interesting than a number of figures all at the same level.

Dad & I do both. Single figures are sometimes fun to look at by themselves. Nowadays, we usually have small displays in curios all over the house (unless the Mum nixes). You can see the individual figures from all sides but there is some scene; maybe with scenery.
The only pieces that look much better in a diorama are from our larger series, IMHO.
Whatever you like is best!
Paddy for Dad & me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back