East coast friends (5 Viewers)

sammy719

Major
Hi all,

hope everyone along the U.S. Eastern seaboard is preparing for the storm, just talked to my brother in the outer banks of North Carolina and it's already getting nasty there, so batten down the hatches and tie in tight and hope everyone stays safe...Sammy

Re: Eat coast friends

that would be East coast friends not eat coast!!!...Sammy

I will be putting away all deck furniture and anything moveable. It seems like we went through this in October last year and we lost power for five days. We're inland in northwestern NJ so I hope it won't be terrible for us but you never know.

Went to the supermarket today and stocked up on milk/eggs/water/bread/batteries/flashlights/candles, all the essentials so that when the power goes out, the milk and eggs will spoil, the candles will start a fire in the house and I'll have plenty of water to put out the flames.

Why year after year, storm after storm there is a mad rush for these items is beyond me, should be selling that stuff instead of toy soldiers, I'd be a billionaire.

All kidding aside, losing power sucks, no phone/tv/internet, no nothing, will be reading by candlelight...................

Went to the supermarket today and stocked up on milk/eggs/water/bread/batteries/flashlights/candles, all the essentials so that when the power goes out, the milk and eggs will spoil, the candles will start a fire in the house and I'll have plenty of water to put out the flames.

Why year after year, storm after storm there is a mad rush for these items is beyond me, should be selling that stuff instead of toy soldiers, I'd be a billionaire.

All kidding aside, losing power sucks, no phone/tv/internet, no nothing, will be reading by candlelight...................

So right George, I remember working back East during some of those crazy storms in my early meat cutting days and was always shocked to see how busy we would get even if it were for a few inches of snow!!! couldn't figure out why ribeyes/pork chops were flying out as fast as I could cut them if there was a chance of lost power?? I guess they could always be grilling for a storm party:)...Sammy

I'm down in southern jersey about 50 miles from the shore so were a little concerned but we just have to wait it out and hopefully this monster will turn out to sea^&grin(but I doubt it{eek3}).
Mark

Hope all you guys hunker down and stay safe. Best wishes to all

Rob

Starting to rain here but not too windy.That is suppose to start tomorrow morning.They think we will lose the electric and will be out a week to 10 days (maybe even more).
Mark

Are you by the coast? We're inland, west of Morristown.

About 50 miles inland.Little town called Fairton,couple of miles from Bridgeton in cumberland county.Stopped raining again.
Mark

Finished putting everything away. Wind is whipping around a little.

Well, good luck Mark.

Very overcast here, wind is whipping around pretty good already, we've been told it's a virtual guarantee the power will be going out at some point tomorrow and no word as to when they expect it will be back, just wonderful.

I always wonder why the government doesn't require all the lines to be buried underground. Imagine tens of millions of people sitting in the dark for days or weeks when all is said and done. And much of that could be avoided if they would just put the lines underground. We have to take our shoes off at the airport, but a real national security issue like this is never mentioned. It's all about idiot reporters standing on the beach telling everyone not to be standing on the beach.

Couldn't agree more but the cost would probably be monumental.

I always wonder why the government doesn't require all the lines to be buried underground. Imagine tens of millions of people sitting in the dark for days or weeks when all is said and done. And much of that could be avoided if they would just put the lines underground. We have to take our shoes off at the airport, but a real national security issue like this is never mentioned. It's all about idiot reporters standing on the beach telling everyone not to be standing on the beach.

Whenever there's a storm, it's the same stories each time; a reporter on the beach getting pelted with wind and rain, people who were heading out for a week long vacation are stranded at the airport, sleeping on the floor, people at home depot buying generators, flashlights and batteries and people at the supermarket buying milk, bread and every bottle of water on the shelves.

So I assume when you buy batteries and flashlights and generators last year, you throw those items out after the storm so you can buy them again next time?

Makes no sense to me..........

I agree also but wouldn't it be a lot harder to detect a break?
Mark

Any new construction has all the wires underground.

The problem is not the rain but the wind which brings downs the trees and the lines. Around here the rains from Irene didn't do much damage. It was the wind that was the killer.

Nothing here yet, wind or rain. -- Al
Now it is raining some. As to burying the power lines, it would be astronomical in cost plus that does nothing for the decaying water pipe system, which in this area is largely over 80-100 years old, or the roads/bridges which are all falling to pieces, as well. The archaic above ground power grid is just the tip of the iceberg.:rolleyes2: -- Al

I'm in Toms River about 8 miles from the coast. Storm is suppose to make land fall between me and Atlantic City. Wind is starting to pick up here as of 8:40. I hope the power stays on long enough to watch the Walking Dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back