East coast friends (3 Viewers)

Raymond,

It was somewhat cathartic to write about it. The thing of it is there are still a lot of people who still don't have power in our town. Just pathetic.

We were lucky in that we suffered no or little damage to the house. Here a couple of photos I took this morning. The first one is the pool area. A tree came crashing down on a fence we had put up in 2011. Thank goodness the tree didn't fall the other way or it would have smashed the pool cover tht I just purchased.

Storm 1.JPG

This is huge tree that also came crashing down but fortunately it went away from the house and criscrosses the neighbor's property. Had it fallen the other way, it might have hit the house.

Storm 2.JPG

Here are a couple of photos I took in the area this morning. As you can see, a falling tree destroyed a park bench and in another one destroyed a fence. There are a lot worse photos.

Storm 3.jpg

Storm 4.jpg

Brad

Raymond,

It was somewhat cathartic to write about it. The thing of it is there are still a lot of people who still don't have power in our town. Just pathetic.

We were lucky in that we suffered no or little damage to the house. Here a couple of photos I took this morning.

Brad

Brad,

Thank you for taking the time to post the photographs of your surrounding area. It must be a very big relief for you and your family that your house was spared. I see from the pictures that there was probably no significant snowfall and flooding in your area, so that helped too. After some clearing up, I think you can move on back to a pretty normal routine. For some folks in the coastal areas, this is going to be long cold winter.

Raymond.

I saw about a hundred power company trucks in PA yesterday heading south on I81. So I assume they are heading home out of NJ and NY. Hopefully everyone has their power back!

On the way to work, I still saw some areas of Harding (near Morristown) still being worked on.

All I can say is thank god for Duke Power; they got us our power back. Who knows where those morons from JCP&L were.

I attended a Chester Township Board Meeting on Tuesday where they had a post-mortem, pointing out the foibles, lack of communication, lack of knowledge, invisibility of JCP&L until the second week, etc.

The conclusions I came away with is that (i) there is little you can do to JCP&L except maybe fines (I don't believe we can have them replaced); and (ii) this will happen again and that a generator is a must.

Last edited:
I go to buy gas this morning at a local Sheetz station in PA which has about 50 pumps and they have no gas. Claim they have run out due to Hurricane Sandy. Truly bizarre since there was almost no damage here.

That only makes sense in that people were traveling to Pa to buy gas instead of waiting in lines. Why they're still out now is odd though.

I go to buy gas this morning at a local Sheetz station in PA which has about 50 pumps and they have no gas. Claim they have run out due to Hurricane Sandy. Truly bizarre since there was almost no damage here.

Many people are going across state lines from N.J. to P.A. to buy gas as it is faster to travel the distance than wait in line.

Many people are going across state lines from N.J. to P.A. to buy gas as it is faster to travel the distance than wait in line.

Yes, but that is all over now as all gas stations are now open. Moreover, Gettsyburg is three hours at least from NJ so hard to understand why New Jersians would have come there (unless more gas was allocated to Pennsylvania service closer to the border, thus resulting in a shortage in western areas of Pennsylvania).

That is odd. Gas lines have disappeared by me for almost two weeks. They may have diverted gas shipments to North Jersey & New York. Gettysburg was going to be my bug out destination if the power had been out here for any extended length of time.

It's not so much that people from Jersey or New York came to PA to buy gas and bought it all up, as it is that there were general disruptions in the supply chain as a result of the hurricane. While there was serious damage on the Jersey shore, aroung the mouth of the Hudson and on Long Island, there were also problems elsewhere in the Mid-Atlantic area, so Sheetz' story isn't that surprising.

Here's a link to an article from this morning:

http://republicanherald.com/news/sheetz-gas-shortage-affected-schuylkill-saturday-1.1405226

The article mentions two other chains operating here in PA, Turkey Hill and A-Plus Minimarkets, noting that they haven't said anything about their supply, and they're directing questions to corporate offices.

I wonder about WaWa, too.

Personally, I saw no lines around here, nor signs that anyone had run out of any grade of gasoline, except on the Friday after the hurricane, at a Giant supermarket in Nazareth. I think basically people were filling up, after having been down for a couple of days.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back