East coast friends (2 Viewers)

Having heard all these accounts and seen many more on tv, its even more obscene that they even considered sparing one single generator for a marathon!.

Rob

I actually got more damage from the snow than the hurricane. My area was hardest hit, with around a foot of ultra heavy snow which knocked out power again and destroyed many expensive evergreens I had on my property.

Power is back after about 12 hours........... and you know what...No Problem.....There are many more WAY worse off than us.

We are still taking in a steady stream of refugees, who are still without power. Alex

And it will be self-inflicted.:wink2: -- Al

Ha! I've waiting since the late 60s to turn this one around. :wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2:

Attachments

• Canada_sign.JPG
    Canada_sign.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Mexico-border-sign.jpg
    Mexico-border-sign.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 93
As a business owner, I'll just be paying my "fair share."
George, you're doing it all wrong. Instead of running a profitable business and paying taxes, you need to run the business into the ground, become a credit disaster, then apply for one of them thar fancy federal bailouts, like the automobile industry, or the banks. Then it's easy street. :rolleyes2: -- Al

George, you're doing it all wrong. Instead of running a profitable business and paying taxes, you need to run the business into the ground, become a credit disaster, then apply for one of them thar fancy federal bailouts, like the automobile industry, or the banks. Then it's easy street. :rolleyes2: -- Al

So true Al, so true.

I should get in line now for my handout, then I'll be one of the have nots instead of one of the haves.

Hmm...I think we've ALL had enough politics for a while. Let's spare the forum of more angst!

Thank god, we got power back today! Words fail me. All I can say thank you to this Forum that kept me going and to people like Shannon and Doug, who kept telling me to hang in there when I was at my lowest.

I shall never forget Louis who offered me his home as a place to stay or Sammy who also offered me his home. Guys, I shall never forget you and you have my eternal gratitude.

Thank god, we got power back today! Words fail me. All I can say thank you to this Forum that kept me going and to people like Shannon and Doug, who kept telling me to hang in there when I was at my lowest.

I shall never forget Louis who offered me his home as a place to stay or Sammy who also offered me his home. Guys, I shall never forget you and you have my eternal gratitude.

Great to hear this Brad.{bravo}}

Rob

Rob,

Thank you. Sorry my oversight. Your and Vanessa's Pms helped beyond compare.

Cheers, mate :)

Rob,

Thank you. Sorry my oversight. Your and Vanessa's Pms helped beyond compare.

Cheers, mate :)

No worry about that mate, just very glad you can start getting back to normal. And how good that this forum has some really good, decent , generous people in it {bravo}}

Rob

Brad,

You are always welcome if this ever happens again (God forbid!).:smile2: I am so glad to hear you finally got your power back.

This morning as I was driving into the city I passed a caravan of Kentucky power and tree service trucks, presumably on their way home after coming all the way up hear to help us in our hour of need. I wish I could have pulled them over and thanked each worker personally. As bad as LIPA handled things, I don't know what we would have done without the out of state assistance. I saw trucks from Pennsylvania, Michigan, Canada. If any of those workers ever read this forum, I just want to extend them an enormous thank you!

No problem Brad, even though I live in Arizona I will always be a East Coast boy, (since I lived there for most of my life) and I wish I could have been able to help those who were really in need, as my family lives in Va, Md, and were spared the brunt of Sandy, but to hear stories from the likes of George, Louis, Shannon, Rob and other members who reached out to help others whether it was a worded message to lift the spirits or a offering of help shows the real character of this forum and I for one am glad to be a part of it...Sammy

I can't give enough thanks to Duke Power because those are the ones that gave us back the power. Where JCP&L was I have no idea. Without Duke I don't know where I or others in Chester would be.

Thanks for the call today Brad and glad you have your power back, two weeks is incredible to me, you're a better man than I am, I would have stormed the castle after two hours............

To be without power and water for two weeks with falling temperatures is a near intolerable ordeal to me. Quite honestly, I am relieved to read that power has been restored to those worst affected by nasty Sandy. How you guys and your families managed to cope with situation is beyond me.....

Raymond.

Raymond,

Water was not a major problem. Every day we would go to the firehouse and fill up. That was so we would have enough to flush the toilets and cook pasta, make tea and coffee, wash faces, brush teeth, etc. The first few days we cooked what we had in the freezer as we had a grill and natural gas on our stove. After that the food started to spoil. So that became a minor worry.

For warmth, we had a fire place but we went to bed early, no later than 9pm, with at least three layers of covers. Invariably, I would wake up at 3am, worrying about this and that, not being able to go to sleep. No gas stations were open because they had no electricity. Then one opened and I waited four and one half hours to get gas. A few days later another one opened and that was a three hour wait. The station was patrolled by police with machine guns. I kid you not. However, you could sense the gas situation start to ease. Until then I worried that we would run out of gas and then what. As we had no food, we ate ate at a Catholic Church a couple of times and then went out after that. My son and I took showers at the local YMCA.

The low point for me came on November 6, Election Day. I was waiting for my son at his job, charging my work Black Berry and iPhone and when I went to start the car I had drained the battery. I nearly broke down then but the local maintenance man at my son's school, Ruben, helped me get it started.

We rarely saw any electric crews and a sense of desolation pervaded our town. Then they started to show up on Monday or Tuesday. By Wednesday, I had had enough. I was starting to lose it and we moved for the evenings to a hotel about forty minutes away. I couldn't take the dark or the night anymore.

It made you realize how fragile life can be. As I type this I still can't believe the last two weeks. I would dread the mornings.

Brad

Raymond,

It made you realize how fragile life can be. As I type this I still can't believe the last two weeks. I would dread the mornings.

Brad

Brad,

It must have been less than pleasant for you to have to write about the stressful events of the last two weeks, so I do sincerely appreciate your post. Your last paragraph says a lot of how you personally felt during this trying period.

From your description, the situation was as bad as I had pictured it to be, if not worse. It surely must have been the longest two weeks in the life of the residents of the worst hit areas.

My family and I have never been tested in the way that you have been in the last two weeks. I am just not sure that we would come out of it standing tall as you have so admirably done.

I hope that life gets back to normal as quickly as possible for you and your family in time for the coming holiday season.

Raymond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back