East Coast Toy Soldier Show 2023 (2 Viewers)

Warrior

Lieutenant General
I am hearing rumors that FDU has given the promoter a date for 2023, 10/29 the last Sunday in October.

I find this odd as the former promoter used to tell me the college used to jerk him around and not commit to a date until late Summer/ until their Fall Men's and Women's basketball and volleyball schedules were set, but apparently, they green lighted a date.

I will circle back once I gather more information on this, this is big news as that is the premier East Coast Toy Soldier Show.

I only hope an indoor flea market is not run at the Wayne PAL around the same time which would then pirate sales from that show, but based on the attendance numbers I've heard regarding that show, I don't think those 27 attendees purchases would impact sales at the East Coast Show.

IF the East Coast Show goes off, will be interesting to see if dealers tell the NJ/Wayne PAL promoter to can the show and allow them to focus on the East Coast Show.

I will 100% support the East Coast Show, we'll see if others follow suite.

And regarding those who continue to throw shade at me for not attending more shows; tell you what, you run your business the way you want, I'll run mine the way I want and if you have a problem with that, we can discuss it.

In person.

I hope that's clear.

As in crystal.

I would be interested to attend as a vendor if they have the East Coast Toy Soldier Show. I did visit the last show that at the Wayne PAL. It was small, but there were a lot of people there for a small show. I don't know the promoter personally, but I think he is waiting to see what happens with the ECTSS. I think he was planning a show in November.

As for you not attending any shows as much, that is your business. I had to miss some shows this year that I usually attend, because of personal matters. You will be missed; your tables are always a sight to see.

Are you going to Gettysburg?

I am hearing rumors that FDU has given the promoter a date for 2023, 10/29 the last Sunday in October.

I find this odd as the former promoter used to tell me the college used to jerk him around and not commit to a date until late Summer/ until their Fall Men's and Women's basketball and volleyball schedules were set, but apparently, they green lighted a date.

I will circle back once I gather more information on this, this is big news as that is the premier East Coast Toy Soldier Show.

I only hope an indoor flea market is not run at the Wayne PAL around the same time which would then pirate sales from that show, but based on the attendance numbers I've heard regarding that show, I don't think those 27 attendees purchases would impact sales at the East Coast Show.

IF the East Coast Show goes off, will be interesting to see if dealers tell the NJ/Wayne PAL promoter to can the show and allow them to focus on the East Coast Show.

And regarding those who continue to throw shade at me for not attending more shows; tell you what, you run your business the way you want, I'll run mine the way I want and if you have a problem with that, we can discuss it.

In person.

I hope that's clear.

As in crystal.

Don’t break any crystal, it’s expensive to replace.

I would be interested to attend as a vendor if they have the East Coast Toy Soldier Show. I did visit the last show that at the Wayne PAL. It was small, but there were a lot of people there for a small show. I don't know the promoter personally, but I think he is waiting to see what happens with the ECTSS. I think he was planning a show in November.

As for you not attending any shows as much, that is your business. I had to miss some shows this year that I usually attend, because of personal matters. You will be missed; your tables are always a sight to see.

Are you going to Gettysburg?

The promoter plans on running that show in July, then again in the Fall regardless of whether the East Coast Show goes off, which is foolish and idiotic, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

My business model has completely changed due to COVID, I've weathered that storm thankfully and have been using other platforms to promote my business, the shows for me are for the most part not part of my marketing strategy.

I have zero plans on attending Gettysburg, my sales were dismal at the 2022 show (being the main metal dealer there since the beginning was fun while it lasted, that all changed in 2022, so I'm out), I will focus all of my energy and efforts on MFCA, I secured a huge Aeroart collection (north of 200 pieces) that I will be debuting at that show, it's the perfect venue for it.

I'd love to have a scenario where I do MFCA in the Spring, The East Coast Show in the Fall, that's two major East Coast shows to let people know I'm still here, show the flag, shake hands and kiss babies, continue to work on my stand up routine and oh, also, maybe make a few dollars too.

They are both about at the limit as to how far I'm willing and able to travel these days, a show like Chicago with a 36 hour round trip drive is a total non starter for me, no thanks, but hey, best of luck to all who attend, Bon Chance and all that.

Hate to break it to people, but as the collector base ages, so does the dealer base, at 62 I'm actually one of the younger dealers, driving long distances and then breaking my hump at shows is not in my wheelhouse anymore sorry to report.

Father time is undefeated.

Don’t break any crystal, it’s expensive to replace.

That's ok, I make a ton of money living my dream each day selling toy soldiers for a living, so I've got plenty of bank to replace broken crystal.

The promoter plans on running that show in July, then again in the Fall regardless of whether the East Coast Show goes off, which is foolish and idiotic, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

My business model has completely changed due to COVID, I've weathered that storm thankfully and have been using other platforms to promote my business, the shows for me are for the most part not part of my marketing strategy.

I have zero plans on attending Gettysburg, my sales were dismal at the 2022 show (being the main metal dealer there since the beginning was fun while it lasted, that all changed in 2022, so I'm out), I will focus all of my energy and efforts on MFCA, I secured a huge Aeroart collection (north of 200 pieces) that I will be debuting at that show, it's the perfect venue for it.

I'd love to have a scenario where I do MFCA in the Spring, The East Coast Show in the Fall, that's two major East Coast shows to let people know I'm still here, show the flag, shake hands and kiss babies, continue to work on my stand up routine and oh, also, maybe make a few dollars too.

They are both about at the limit as to how far I'm willing and able to travel these days, a show like Chicago with a 36 hour round trip drive is a total non starter for me, no thanks, but hey, best of luck to all who attend, Bon Chance and all that.

Hate to break it to people, but as the collector base ages, so does the dealer base, at 62 I'm actually one of the younger dealers, driving long distances and then breaking my hump at shows is not in my wheelhouse anymore sorry to report.

Father time is undefeated.

Too bad about Gettysburg, but I understand. I am attending the MFCA show this year too. I have never been to Chicago for the same reasons you have mentioned. The East Coast and Gettysburg shows was good enough for me as collector. Both are less than a 3 hour drive. The Midwest Show was the furthest I have traveled, that is about a 11 hour drive.

Too bad about Gettysburg, but I understand. I am attending the MFCA show this year too. I have never been to Chicago for the same reasons you have mentioned. The East Coast and Gettysburg shows was good enough for me as collector. Both are less than a 3 hour drive. The Midwest Show was the furthest I have traveled, that is about a 11 hour drive.

Back in the day, I used to attend north of 20 shows a year, sometimes four weekends in a row, a few times one on Saturday, one on Sunday, anyone who's known me for a long time can vouch for that and it was no big deal, part and parcel to what I do for a living, the more the merrier, cash was king, I was young and fully loaded, ready to go.

I started to notice in 2018 or so how much the driving knocked the out of me, specifically that death crawl from MA to VA to attend the Annandale show, or the 10 hour drive to Gettysburg, nevermind the drive to Chicago......................then in 2020, COVID blew up and all the shows were mothballed.

2021 was dicey for me as I was not vaccinated, then the Omicron/Delta/whatever variant popped up, so I chose to sit out the 2021 show season as well.

I went to two shows in 2022, it was a mixed bag, was nice to be out and see people again, but wow what a slog it was between the packing, loading, driving, unloading and setting up, tearing down and the return trip home..............being away from it for so long, it was not in my wheelhouse anymore.

As the song goes, you've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away....................

As stated, a Spring and Fall show for me at this stage is ideal, so I'll take a shot and go from there.

And yes, getting old sucks.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the Eastcoaster if it is confirmed as that date as I will be in Austin Texas for the UT Longhorn football game that Saturday and the Kiss Final Show that Sunday. Hook em Horns and Join the Kiss Army baby!!!

Will miss the show though!

Back in the day, I used to attend north of 20 shows a year, sometimes four weekends in a row, a few times one on Saturday, one on Sunday, anyone who's known me for a long time can vouch for that and it was no big deal, part and parcel to what I do for a living, the more the merrier, cash was king, I was young and fully loaded, ready to go.

I started to notice in 2018 or so how much the driving knocked the out of me, specifically that death crawl from MA to VA to attend the Annandale show, or the 10 hour drive to Gettysburg, nevermind the drive to Chicago......................then in 2020, COVID blew up and all the shows were mothballed.

2021 was dicey for me as I was not vaccinated, then the Omicron/Delta/whatever variant popped up, so I chose to sit out the 2021 show season as well.

I went to two shows in 2022, it was a mixed bag, was nice to be out and see people again, but wow what a slog it was between the packing, loading, driving, unloading and setting up, tearing down and the return trip home..............being away from it for so long, it was not in my wheelhouse anymore.

As the song goes, you've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away....................

As stated, a Spring and Fall show for me at this stage is ideal, so I'll take a shot and go from there.

And yes, getting old sucks.

The trips have started getting to me too. I am comfortable around at 8-hour drive. Same here with not being vaccinated. I had Covid twice now and might have had it again recently. It has always been mild with me. I work in public transportation, so my job is the most dangerous place for me. My Mom has had it twice, she is 87. Both times mild with her too. We were luckier than others or our immune systems are good. I think I will have a 10-year run of attending 5 or 6 shows a year. 20 sounds rough to me.

The trips have started getting to me too. I am comfortable around at 8-hour drive. Same here with not being vaccinated. I had Covid twice now and might have had it again recently. It has always been mild with me. I work in public transportation, so my job is the most dangerous place for me. My Mom has had it twice, she is 87. Both times mild with her too. We were luckier than others or our immune systems are good. I think I will have a 10-year run of attending 5 or 6 shows a year. 20 sounds rough to me.

When I stated I was not vaccinated in 2021 for Gettysburg, I meant the vaccine was not available to me, I got vaccinated in May of 2021, then got the booster in November of 2021............then in January, I got COVID.

I have not gotten a booster since, I got COVID again this past November, as stated, both cases were mild.

I was lucky; that said, I have no plans of getting any further boosters, enough is enough, I'm done.

In truth, in my mind doing 20 shows a year back in the day was not a big deal, plus they were all money makers, why leave money on the table, they were all well attended and those who came spent.

That all started to turn the other way in around 2016 or so, I noticed attendance started to dip, as did the sales..............then in 2020 COVID blew up, I've been to three shows since, one in March of 2022 and two in May, they were all dumpster fires.

We'll see how MFCA shakes out and again, I am very hopeful the East Coast Show goes off in the Fall as has been reported................two shows, one in the Spring, one in the Fall is fine by me.

In person.

I hope that's clear.

As in crystal.

I heard there is a date for the East Coast show but that is no guarantee. He had one last year too so the rumor goes. I think they used to have 200+ tables there. I think those days are over.

The "Flea Market" was great for me. 222 paid attendees and all collectors/buyers. Plus a bunch of kids. I think there was 55 tables? The Wayne PAL is a nice venue- there is also a nice new hotel - nearby - just a little to far out there from the city and public transportation.

Shows are my second job! I prefer a drive then posting crap on ebay. I just don't take my trailer anymore.

I heard there is a date for the East Coast show but that is no guarantee. He had one last year too so the rumor goes. I think they used to have 200+ tables there. I think those days are over.

The "Flea Market" was great for me. 222 paid attendees and all collectors/buyers. Plus a bunch of kids. I think there was 55 tables? The Wayne PAL is a nice venue- there is also a nice new hotel - nearby - just a little to far out there from the city and public transportation.

Shows are my second job! I prefer a drive then posting crap on ebay. I just don't take my trailer anymore.

That hardly makes economic sense. Driving to shows requires you to incur expenses of driving, staying in a hotel, depreciation and so forth, plus shows are exhibiting declining numbers of attendance. The expenses will drive down your gross. The only expenses you incur with eBay are their fee and postage, not to mention you can do this hone, if you wish. The potential for higher profits is greater.

The college gave the promoter a date last year, but he felt like the time between when they green lighted the show and when it would actually go off would not give him enough time to promote it properly.

That's his choice.

If he runs it this year, I will 100% attend, everything I am hearing is he intends to, which is exciting as that is the premier toy soldier show on the East Coast, it will be nice to have it come back after being mothballed for three years largely due to COVID.

If he sells less tables than in previous years, that's not on him, that's got more to do with a declining number of vendors.

Crown, Al Green, Carl Hogermeyer, The Marxman, Dutkins Collectibles, Norm Rodriguez all are no longer attending East Coast shows, that's 46 less tables filled with goods.

There are reasons none of them are attending East Coast shows; retirement, moving, or sadly, passing away.

Let's band together as a dealer and collector community and throw our support behind this show.

That hardly makes economic sense. Driving to shows requires you to incur expenses of driving, staying in a hotel, depreciation and so forth, plus shows are exhibiting declining numbers of attendance. The expenses will drive down your gross. The only expenses you incur with eBay are their fee and postage, not to mention you can do this hone, if you wish. The potential for higher profits is greater.

Brad you have a point. But ebay takes 12%? They also take this from your shipping charges. It takes time to take pictures, sort stuff and list it accurately. There is also shipping supplies as an expense. I have been selling on ebay for 20 years. I sell something on there daily. Some things are not worth the time to list. I still do great at shows - both small and large. I have fun going to them. Sure they have expenses and they are some times more than 12% at a small show. Sometimes they are less than 12% at a high grossing show. I luckily can take off for a show while my crew is at home shipping packages and selling out of storefront.

I bought 3 collections the weekend of the Wayne show. I coordinated all this to maximize my time and minimize costs. I actually brought my trailer down. That is one expense I cut. I only bring my trailer to Chicago these days it seems.
I bought roughly 400 K&C items on Saturday and had two others bring stuff on Sunday. All in all it was a great weekend.

Everything has pros and cons. There are good points to selling on ebay and going to shows. I do both and try and drive those people to my website and to my physical store. I get collections all the time in the store.

If the East Coast Show goes off I will be there and support it. I went to over 30 of Bill Lango's shows in my lifetime.

Brad you have a point. But ebay takes 12%? They also take this from your shipping charges. It takes time to take pictures, sort stuff and list it accurately. There is also shipping supplies as an expense. I have been selling on ebay for 20 years. I sell something on there daily. Some things are not worth the time to list. I still do great at shows - both small and large. I have fun going to them. Sure they have expenses and they are some times more than 12% at a small show. Sometimes they are less than 12% at a high grossing show. I luckily can take off for a show while my crew is at home shipping packages and selling out of storefront.

I bought 3 collections the weekend of the Wayne show. I coordinated all this to maximize my time and minimize costs. I actually brought my trailer down. That is one expense I cut. I only bring my trailer to Chicago these days it seems.
I bought roughly 400 K&C items on Saturday and had two others bring stuff on Sunday. All in all it was a great weekend.

Everything has pros and cons. There are good points to selling on ebay and going to shows. I do both and try and drive those people to my website and to my physical store. I get collections all the time in the store.

If the East Coast Show goes off I will be there and support it. I went to over 30 of Bill Lango's shows in my lifetime.

Good answers Matt, and of course it doesn't make 'economic sense' to 'collect' Toy Solders, but it is fun {sm3}

Any updates on the show? I had sent an email to them a few months ago with no response. It is getting close to where you would want to announce it.

Any updates on the show? I had sent an email to them a few months ago with no response. It is getting close to where you would want to announce it.

Nothing has been officially announced, contracts have not been sent out, no clue what is going on, October 29th will be here sooner than we know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back