European Football Championship 2024 (1 Viewer)

Barkmann

Sergeant First Class
The tournament kicked off on Friday with Germany v Scotland, Germany won 5-1, the Scotland goal was an own goal, which means not only is the top scoring player in the touramant for Scotland is a GERMAN, but he is the top scoring player for Scotland in an international tournament [Euro chanpionship or World Cup] for over 25 YEARS.

Just waiting for the England V Serbia game at 8pm UK time.

Really pleased to see Denmark player who scored their first goal in the tourament was Erikkson. As he was taken to hospital during the 2020 championship after suffering a cardiact arrest on the pitch during a game. Feel really happy for him and his team, his family and friends.

Last edited:
My grandson Archie, daughter Trudy and Son in Law Mark are at the match in Germany tonight.

My grandson Archie, daughter Trudy and Son in Law Mark are at the match in Germany tonight.
I hope they had a good time Martyn and best of luck to all English fans tomorrow.

England is my last hope; first Italy, then Germany, then France..........................unreal.

Not sure about England but I think Spain is likely to be in the running to win this Soccer Championship.

Ha,ha and Thank you for your way too much expected yet unimaginative answer. The hand play rule as well as Referee Anthony Taylor are both of controversial reputation. Combined they are able to kill any match. Mr. Taylor is said to have made a discretionary decision, he did not understand that when a shot is aimed directly to the goal there simply is no room for a discretionary decision.
The video assist centre in cologne did not interfer as it did not "wished to" undermine the Referee´s authority. It was also staffed by british personal. Meanwhile UEFA has decided that Mr Taylor will never again be tasked to be a Referee at matches at this international level and that he is out of this contest. This was reported by the Daily Mail (British paper). Food of thaught?

In full support to the glorious spanish football and it´s brilliant players (Did put my bet on Spain to win long before the contest started) I gladly return the offered "Bad Looser Label" to you,- stick it to whom or what you wish but dare you sticking on me.

regards
Wolfgang

A little sensitive are we? Did I say you were a bad loser. I agree that the Ref did not do a good job on that call and that it may have changed the outcome of the match. Unfortunately, bad calls are things that happen. I quite remember the bad call that was made on Spain in the 2002 World Cup quarterfinal against South Korea. It was a terrible call but life moves on and who can forget Maradona’s “hand of god”? These things happen.

Not sure about you, as for me it is a clear YES,- Football you know?!
At least you could have shown some respect by adding Wembley 1966 to your list of blunders. Yet all gone for a long time ,- welcome among the living in 2024 ….

Not sure about you, as for me it is a clear YES,- Football you know?!
At least you could have shown some respect by adding Wembley 1966 to your list of blunders. Yet all gone for a long time ,- welcome among the living in 2024 ….
I agree it was a clear penalty but I said “may” because you never know why’s happens after that. I can’t add 1966 because although that was the first WC match I saw (I was all of 15) I don’t remember much of the match.

I see England has just gone ahead. I’d rather see them in the final.

I watched 15 seconds of the England game surpassing my record of 10 seconds and by a miracle saw a goal.

My view…

England haven’t lit up the Euros but have made it to the final.

We were lucky in the second half of the draw avoiding Spain, France, Germany and Portugal.

Having had the luck of the draw I think on balance we were better than Slovakia, Switzerland and The Netherlands (although the penalty decision was atrocious) so here we are in the final.

Could go either way against Spain.

My view…

England haven’t lit up the Euros but have made it to the final.

We were lucky in the second half of the draw avoiding Spain, France, Germany and Portugal.

Having had the luck of the draw I think on balance we were better than Slovakia, Switzerland and The Netherlands (although the penalty decision was atrocious) so here we are in the final.

Could go either way against Spain.
I am of course rooting for Spain but just imagine what a celebration if England wins.

England had the schedule that they did because France and Belgium couldn't win their groups, something England did, you can only play the teams the draw gives you.

England has had some poor matches, but they are in the final, you don't get any prizes for playing well and losing.

On form, I'm sure the majority of fans think Spain is going to destroy them; we'll have to see about that.

I feel a closeness to England, it's our "Mother country" and the country in Europe I identify with most, followed by Italy, Greece, France and Germany.................Italy as my Dad was Italian, Greece as my Mom was Greek, France as I am a student of their military history, Germany as I have numerous German friends and they are good people and good friends.

If England wins, they great, good for them, if they lose, I won't be looking to jump off a bridge, hoping for a well played match by both sides, may the best team win.

Going back to the first European Cup finals in 1960, the matches, on the whole, have been relatively close, 2-1 or 2 nil. There have been a couple of exceptions like West Germany in 1972 and Spain in 2012 but otherwise close matches. I don’t see it any different this time, especially with two excellent net minders.

Ha,ha and Thank you for your way too much expected yet unimaginative answer. The hand play rule as well as Referee Anthony Taylor are both of controversial reputation. Combined they are able to kill any match. Mr. Taylor is said to have made a discretionary decision, he did not understand that when a shot is aimed directly to the goal there simply is no room for a discretionary decision.
The video assist centre in cologne did not interfer as it did not "wished to" undermine the Referee´s authority. It was also staffed by british personal. Meanwhile UEFA has decided that Mr Taylor will never again be tasked to be a Referee at matches at this international level and that he is out of this contest. This was reported by the Daily Mail (British paper). Food of thaught?

In full support to the glorious spanish football and it´s brilliant players (Did put my bet on Spain to win long before the contest started) I gladly return the offered "Bad Looser Label" to you,- stick it to whom or what you wish but dare you sticking on me.

regards
Wolfgang
I recall being amazed the last time this happened in an International Soccer tournament, Australia has been using 'Video Referees' at even club level games for years. I agree there's an excuse for poor referee decisions before video replays were available, now it's rank stupidity not to, I suspect there's some alterior motive in this instance.

And we are Campeones de Europa!

A great day: Alcaraz wins Wimbledon and Spain wins the championship.

Congrats - I told you - Spain deserved to win by playing well throughout the Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back