Favorite Britains set or figure? (1 Viewer)

Alexdakar said:
Yes, the Waffen SS MG team is also my favorite because that was my first toy soldier set.
Thanks Alex...That seems like a long time ago, and I can tell you that the new WWII sculpts and paint are much improved over that set. Look for New Waffen SS, Fallschirmjager, US and British Infantry. Some of the first sculpts are already finished and in preproduction with lots more coming! Ken Osen

Toy Soldier Brigade said:
American Civil War set "Clear The Way" plus add on set.
My 'Lone Star' and 'Clear the Way' sample sets are about the only ones I managed to hold on to and are still in my display case. I always thought I would be able to go back and convert some of the sculpts I did for Conte to add on to these for my personal collection, but I am always too busy sculpting new stuff for everyone else. What was the old saying about the shoe makers kids not having any shoes? Ken

Ken Osen/H&A Studio said:
The North Gate of Hougoumont was the last set that I did with Richard Walker when we worked for Ertle/W. Britain back in 1997-98. You might be interested to know that the initial ACW and WWI sculpts for the First Gear/W. Britain line are already in preproduction so I am now working on the new Napoleonic and WWII sets which, at the time of the writing, will also include new components for Hougoumont. I still have my research file and photographs from my visit to the site some years ago and I am sure they will be put to good use! Ken Osen
I,m really glad to hear that the hougomont will be continued. I had posted awhile back that I wish someone would do a hougomont complex in add on sections as the complex was so big(kind of like what conte had done with there alamo play sets keep adding on until complete). Are they looking to complete the complex or just adding on another small section? And this time around are we going to get more figures or just 3 figure sets again? I would realy like to see more figures this time and I think it would be alot better if they sold them as singles like K&C. He gives you enough figures to do a nice diorama (not just 3 figures then onto something else). And with the figures being sold as singles not sets you can build and group as you see fit by buying multiple of poses and not get stuck with doubles of figures that you don,t like. Ask your customers and i,m sure they would agree. What can we look forward to? Is it going to be just french and british guards or may something new like maybe some nassau troops? or avantguard brunswickers? It would be nice to see some of the other troops from hougomont for a change. But i guess i,ll settle for at least some more brits and frogs for now and i can always get some frontline nassau troops to fill in.

The Long Tom was my favourite but I recently sold it to a board member in Malta. It went to a good home so I don't regret it. I almost purchased the 88 a couple of years ago at a show in Virginia but the barrel was bent. I still have the Waffen machine gun team which I would agree is a great set. Before K&C I had started with the Britian's line but have totally converted now to Andy's addiction. Looking forward to seeing the new sets from First Gear/Britians in the near future though.Competition is good!!!

Great to hear of all the good things coming soon from Britains! I still wish they would add to the WWI line with figures of the British and American Tank Corps and maybe a display set for the crushing victory at Cambrai on 21November 1917, which was fleeting but demonstrated to the world just how potent a weapon the Tank was to become. A male and female Mark IV with a fascine bundle to drop in the deeper trench so they can cross and continue the mission with some troops from the Highland Division supporting them and of course some German defenders surrendering and moving to the rear. Maybe a Vickers MG team in support also. Of course a set of Renaults with AEF markings and a figure of then LTC Patton during the fight at St Mihiel would also be very welcome in my collection. Anyone else have any WWI thoughts?

Dave

Gentle Friends,

It is really difficult for me to pick a favorite Britains set. I think those that have been mentioned are really great and I am proud to own many of those sets. I do think, however, that another set deserves special mention. One of my favorites is the Rorke's Drift Diorama with the Hospital Diorama to compliment it. Wow! What a beautiful desplay it makes!

Warm regards,

Pat

Gang, Is there a site where one can look at all the older retired sets that I may have missed before I started collecting in 2003?

I see some items show up on ebay, others mentioned here that I was unaware of.Would like to see what I missed!
FUBAR:confused:

I feel a sense of duty to name my only series of Britains that I have purchased because I thought they had character and had originality more so than anything else on the market, it is the ONLY toy series that has led me away from K&C thus far...and that is the "NELSON" series. I know that Britains has had some recent problems but I have to say that these miniture dioramas of Lord Nelson's ship and the battle of Trafalgar are great!!!! What is even more interresting is the fact that you get a chance to own a piece of history and preserve history at the same time. I even like the fact that probably nobody on this forum even own a set......;) I know that navy stuff isn't a big subject BUT it was in 1805 and to any person collecting Napoleonics and attempting to tell a story through minitures this is a must!!! I own all sets with Victory wood and I would recommend them to anyone for there quality!!

WELLINGTON
Oh yes Fubar, I don't collect that time period as interresting as it is but I think the series you are referring to have the same qualities that the NELSON series has, they are a gold mine!

Last edited:
Fubar said:
Gang, Is there a site where one can look at all the older retired sets that I may have missed before I started collecting in 2003?

I see some items show up on ebay, others mentioned here that I was unaware of.Would like to see what I missed!
FUBAR:confused:

Here is a web site of the Britains catalogues from 1998 to 2003. Quite helpful!
http://membres.lycos.fr/toysoldiers/catalogs.htm
Pete

Sure, I discovered the site and bookmarked it quite ago and Pete gets all the glory. :p

Thank you Peter, I saw some sets I was unaware of .The hunt begins

Thanks again

FUBAR

Oh, Thanks a lot Peter AND Shannon!!! As if I hadn't already spent too much, now I see all those older pieces that I'm going to have to get!!!!:)

Last edited:
Currently for me it has to be the Irish State coach. The detail is amazing and it was my first "soldier" purchase. I am also rather partial to the Queen in the Ivory Phaeton set as well.

Without a doubt, the Mother Male- that tank was just incredible and is still one of what I believe are the "top ten" toy soldier tanks of all time. I rarely have regrets about not getting something and that one is certainly the tops of the list. I am spread too thin now but may consider adding it in a few years.

The other really nice one was Washington crossing the Delaware. My Britains collection consists of Deetails figures and the glossy "Knights of Agincourt". From Koa, it was the Joust diorama, which I found really interesting.

I think if anyone wants to collect WW1, Britains is the best offer out there, with the tradition of their figures and the history of all their selections out there- Frontline has done a great job and so has a little company called Camp Randall. I just don't have the money to open another front right now- still though, that Mother Male was the stuff.

If this thread encompasses vintage Britains -- then surely, Britains Changing of the Guard (Set 1555) and its Musical Ride (set 2085) have to be mentioned. I have yet to see a comparable set made by any other maker.

Hi Guys,

Oh yes the Musical Ride is an amazing set! Good pick on that one Richard!

I also have to agree with my friend Chris about the WWI Tank, I have it and think its great. I really hope Britains will tackle some of the other armor from this era and maybe some of the crewmembers in action after having dismounted a broken or disabled vehicle. The WWI sets they have produced for this year and last are top notch!

All the best

Dave

The 1999 Northgate set. I use it a lot for the dios. Then there are all the wonderful Delhi Durbar sets:):):) Hunting Cheetahs. Hope I find one at the WC

The new Redcoats, Bluecoats and F/I war figures. First class sculpting and painting. I find myself collecting them all. Nice work Ken. This is bringing me back to glossy figures though I still collect K/C and JJ figures. Leadmen

Does Britains do miniature dogs as well??- Sorry, I am off topic here- my daughter was looking at my 2003 Britains catalog and I want to think she saw some dogs in there.

Back on point- the Mother has a towing pintle/ apparatus on the back of it too correct? I think I have seen it displayed towing a limber as well.

If some of you fellas can post some of those figures that would be great- I have seen the Delhi Durbars and all that- just not some of these other figures.

Did Britains ever do any glossy WW1 fighter teams?

Thanks,
CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back