Feedback needed (1 Viewer)

pfd119

Private 1st Class
Hi all.
For years I've been toying with the idea with doing my own line of plastic soldiers. I've had many conversations with Nick from TSSD about this, and he is a great inspiration. Please keep in mind, I'm just looking for feedback, thoughts, ideas on what you would like to see from the following conflicts.

French and Indian War
American Civil War
Anglo Zulu War

If (big if) this is something I can get off the ground, which ever conflict I choose to go with, the plan is to stick with one conflict and try to make it extensive. I know this maybe a fantasy, but I want to do as much research and get as much feedback I can from the collectors.

Thank you for your comments,

Travis

Hi Travis,

I was of the same mind about fifteen years ago. My plan was to start with WW1 Anzacs and use the profits to do Turks and so on. I got helpful advice too from Bill McMaster and Mr Barzo. In the end I did a metal line of the Anzacs and left it at that went things didn't take off. This year, on the 100th anniversary of the Anzac campaign I more than ever wish I'd stuck to my original plan.

If I was doing it again, I'd go through someone like Nick. Use his sculptor if possible, his factory etc and pay him suitably for his time/connections etc. As you learn the ropes, you can branch out on your own. You just need to do everything to make that first line a success.

As for a line, pick the one which will sell, which I think might be Civil War over there. While its been extensively done, the 1/30 style is the way forward and with Conte out of the picture, it's probably just Nick himself and maybe ExForce (I don't really know much about their stuff). So, what hasn't been done yet/properly in this? I'll post some more thoughts later but what do US collectors want?

Travis, I would suggest looking into KickStarter perhaps. This way if you find an audience that is willing to support your offerings you will be able to get off with funding that could support most or all of your initial offerings. If you do not raise enough funds then you could decide to return the money and not proceed any further.

Walt

With ACW, I would look at doing navy or something similarly unique. Maybe cavalry.

Navy hey, have Marines been done by anyone yet? Were their uniforms distinct in any way?

I do think there's some potential in doing a particular unit. 54th Mass for instance. I'm sure there are plenty of others. Perhaps one with a notable commander, who would be a selling point and could be one of the figures?

Units with a notable commander - everybody does Custer ca. 1876 when he was about to die. What about a Custer at the height of his glory in the Civil War?

ACW Navy might be interesting, but will it sell enough sets to be profitable? I know the Navy landed Army and Marine troops along the coast to seize or raid blockade runners' ports. I'll bet there were some interesting skirmishes and battles during these. Union navy personnel could also be used for river gunboat crews. By the way, didn't the USMC troops wear crossed shoulder belts? That's a distinctive point.

Take a look at Nick's recent sets and explore the possibilities of changeable heads and/or hands. One problem with plastic is getting the variations in figures.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Use your conversions as Masters.
Make Molds.
Use plastic for production.

What about a 3D Printer to make the Master ?

Hi all.
For years I've been toying with the idea with doing my own line of plastic soldiers. I've had many conversations with Nick from TSSD about this, and he is a great inspiration. Please keep in mind, I'm just looking for feedback, thoughts, ideas on what you would like to see from the following conflicts.

French and Indian War
American Civil War
Anglo Zulu War

If (big if) this is something I can get off the ground, which ever conflict I choose to go with, the plan is to stick with one conflict and try to make it extensive. I know this maybe a fantasy, but I want to do as much research and get as much feedback I can from the collectors.

Thank you for your comments,

Travis
Hi Travis, I respect the fact that you may "jump into the fire" of plastic figures here. You are certainly correct to plan on doing a particular line and staying with it; one of the frustrations with other makers is the tendency to do a particular set with one army, then do the enemy about 3 years later,then do mounted/gun crews another 8 years later. Here are my thoughts: Civil war has been done quite extensively; only the cavalry has been a little lacking. Problem is scales can be quite varied with Conte and TSSD close to 60mm and Marx, AIP closer to true 54mm and Hat and CTA more like 50mm. Can be a little nerve racking. Zulu war has been well done by Conte and AIP. Includes Boars, Guns and crews and mounted. Only missing NNC and mounted Boars. I would say FIW would be your best bet. Barzso did an extensive line but they were 1.Small. 2. Brittle. 3.Expensive 4. Limited run, so if you missed them early you can't get them now. AIP did 3 good sets (French regulars, Rangers and Indians) but you could do French militia with stocking caps and coonskins, British Grenadiers with mitre caps, Scottish Highlanders, American provincials and additional sets of French and British regulars and Indians. You would want them to be close to AIP size wise; they were made from Frontline and Jenkins metal molds, very well detailed and collectors can still get them. I think you would do very well with this period. And economically they could do double duty for Rev war, Pontiacs rebellion and Wabash/Fallen Timbers. Good luck with this, I hope it happens and you are very successful.

I think there's a lot to be said for FIW. Some of the Barzo and AIP sets are good, others could be improved on. Some sets like the British would lend themselves to other 18th Century conflicts - AWI and a personal favourite, Culloden. I always think it wise that you have one set that allows other ranges to be explored. Pirates maybe too, though Barzo's are pretty good.

What scale to the AIP Indians come in at? I'm not normally a fan of the AIP style but being based on Jenkins - whose metal work is great - makes me think this would be a good scale to continue with.

I think there's a lot to be said for FIW. Some of the Barzo and AIP sets are good, others could be improved on. Some sets like the British would lend themselves to other 18th Century conflicts - AWI and a personal favourite, Culloden. I always think it wise that you have one set that allows other ranges to be explored. Pirates maybe too, though Barzo's are pretty good.

What scale to the AIP Indians come in at? I'm not normally a fan of the AIP style but being based on Jenkins - whose metal work is great - makes me think this would be a good scale to continue with.
I would call the AIP figures of the FIW true 54mm. They are on the chunky side but very well done. They are much taller and thicker than Barzso FIW. The only other FIW figures would be CTS who did mohawk Indians and Grenadiers for the Rev war. However, AIP are slightly taller and much thicker. AIP did not do British for the FIW but their generic British for the rev war fit the bill plus their mounted and gun crews made for a good diorama or war game for FIW. Of the 3 themes that Travis is considering I would think that FIW has the best case for new figures. I like civil war but feel it's well represented. Zulu war also, although NNC and mounted irregulars are missing. I use a few Marx native poses for NNC but they are somewhat of a stretch.

Hi

I think that those figures with different head options give the most variety - make an ACW infantryman in a tunic/frock coat with a plug in head - can think of several options - kepi, hardee, whipple, slouch, Havelock, pith helmet (NH Regiments), Corsican, shako, plumed hats, etc.......

Dave

A possible event to capture from the ACW as a moment in time with characters figures would be Sherman's march through Georgia. Figures could be in non-traditional poses. Think pillaging and burning. Southern youngsters and the elderly and of course the newly liberated slaves of all ages.The accessories alone would be a great period set. All types of farm buildings and equipment. Southern mansions and slave quarters.
Has anyone done a Sherman in plastic? What unit types did he have and in what strength?

If you are going to do this, you need to think what's going to sell the most. Don't do something because it's unique or hasn't been done. Those may not sell at all and you'll be stuck with costs and boxes of figures that won't move. ACW marines are nice, but I suspect they'd have limited interest. You're better doing stand infantry figures. Guys may buy hundreds of firing lines, but only a dozen sailors or marines.
Zulu wars have limited appeal. Conte stuff was nice, but not big in the US
That leaves French and Indian wars. That can lead to AWI figures as well, with a good cross over. Again, don't get so specialized that you make great figures that no one will buy. Good luck, I hope you are successful .

If you are going to do this, you need to think what's going to sell the most. Don't do something because it's unique or hasn't been done. Those may not sell at all and you'll be stuck with costs and boxes of figures that won't move. ACW marines are nice, but I suspect they'd have limited interest. You're better doing stand infantry figures. Guys may buy hundreds of firing lines, but only a dozen sailors or marines.
That leaves French and Indian wars. That can lead to AWI figures as well, with a good cross over. Again, don't get so specialized that you make great figures that no one will buy. Good luck, I hope you are successful .

This is great, sound advice. If you are going to do something, it has to be something that will appeal to the widest possible group of collectors. Something unique is nice, like ACW sailors or marines, but like Jay said, in order for this to work, you need to do mainstream items.

If the figures take off, you can get unique and creative down the line.

Unless you plan on doing them yourself, you'll need to hire a sculptor to do the figures, then you'll need a contact in China to make the molds, run the molds and package the figures for you in either bags or boxes.

This is where Bill McMaster would come in, such a loss for the hobby that he passed away as he was the go to person for several companies doing what you are proposing.

His contact in China could get this off the ground for you and quote you all the necessary production costs.

Pretty sure a production run is 1,000 sets, but I could be wrong.

I looked into doing some plastic AWI British and colonial cavalry as well as artillery; the costs were steep, so I pulled the plug on it.

Best of luck to you.

I agree with most of this. I would not agree with the Zulu war being limited appeal in the US. I think Conte did very well with it and his figures were limited to one battle, Rorkes Drift. He did not do, though typically he promised he would, mounted troops, artillery crews, Boars, etc. AIP did foot Boars and I think they did well; AIP also did one 6 pose set of Zulu's that also did well, with more promised but as of yet not done. AIP also did guns and crews, mounted and even Highlanders and navel brigades (more related to Sudan war but easily applied to Zulu war). I do agree that "specialized" civil war is risky given the high amount of basic civil war figures out. So, I agree that FIW would be the best bet and as stated the basics give you a wide berth of other conflicts from 1757 to 1796. We can always use more Indians, the British can easily cross over to Rev war and even the French militia can be used for Rev war and Fallen Timbers as I find out there was a company of Canadian militia fighting alongside the Indians! Here's hoping that if and when this is done that it's very successful.

I agree with the advice by Jay and George. I was thinking a few years back about doing my own line of figures and had the honor of talking to Bill McMasters and Nick at TSSD. They gave me some great advice. One thing that they both said was to make something that would sell. Don't make a set of figures from some little known unit or battle that only a dozen people will buy. You will wind up with a bunch of figures you can't sell and lose your shirt. I would say, start out with what sells the best, like WW2 and Civil War basic figures, with maybe a few unique poses mixed in. Another thing, would be to make them versitile by giving some of the figures multiple plug in arms where several different poses can be made from one pose. (This will also apeal to those who make conversion figures.) Later when you are more established, you will be able to do some unique figure sets that you want to do. Above all, take your time. Don't rush into something before you are ready, and don't put yourself into debt doing it. You won't get rich making figures.
Good luck.
BOBBYGMOORE

Personally I would love to see more FIW figures on the market, but I'm not sure if this conflict is popular enough to be economically feasible. Your best bet is ACW, and while there have been some good suggestions on here regarding what to produce, I think what would really sell (and what hasn't been done much before) would be a good-sized group of wounded and dead soldiers.
Walking wounded, prone and deceased, troops receiving medical attention, even a surgeon. I've tried to customize casualties, and I've found it isn't easy to get them to look realistic.

It's been ages since I looked into it, so I'm curious as to what it would cost to properly do a six or eight figure set these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back