Flags of Our Fathers Movie Trailer (Japanese Version) (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry, but it's just not the same guy. There is a clear difference between the two. For exemple, the first guy is from a Heer-unit, while the second one is Waffen SS. Steamboat Willie did NOT kill Mellish, but he shot Captain Miller! After that, Willie was shot by a desellusioned Upham.

To prove it, here are a few links to the SPR-encyclopedia:
http://www.sproe.com/s/steamboat-german.html

On this web page you can clearly see the differences:

http://www.sproe.com/s/steamboat-comparison.html

I stand corrected with hat in hand and head bowed.

I too thought they were the same guy. Nice work Joey. Leadmen

This new, for me, revelation sure does change what I thought about that particular group of scenes in the movie. Interesting stuff, thanks guys.

I just watched the movie again and its a different guy. Two questions: Why did he let him live and what was the SS soldier saying when he was stabbing the GI?

I just watched the movie again and its a different guy. Two questions: Why did he let him live and what was the SS soldier saying when he was stabbing the GI?

Perhaps it's what I've always heard about war, Living and dying was a matter of luck.
Ray

Since we are on movies, 2 different eras. Any thought about The Lost Battalion, a made for TV ,WW 1 movie and We Were Soldiers, Mel Gibson's Vietnam War film. I loved both of them ,not totally knowing their historical accuracy. The acting was great and great action. Michael

Since we are on movies, 2 different eras. Any thought about The Lost Battalion, a made for TV ,WW 1 movie and We Were Soldiers, Mel Gibson's Vietnam War film. I loved both of them ,not totally knowing their historical accuracy. The acting was great and great action. Michael

Michael,

I read the book, We Were Soldiers Once and Young. The book was excellent. The movie was not historically accurate, especially during the latter part of the story. The movie concluded with an American counter attacking the North Vietnese Regulars and taking their positions. In reality, the Americans were fortunate to be able to disengage and ultimately return to friendly locations. Be that as it may, Mel Gibson and Sam Elliott played wonderful roles and the movie, as you know, is full of great action. The movie is now available on DVD for a reduced price.

I also watched "The Lost Battalion" and I enjoyed it very much. I have not read too much about this WW I action, so I do not know how accurately the movie followed the event. Perhaps someone else can tell us.

At any rate, I think both movies are terrific!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

I also watched "The Lost Battalion" and I enjoyed it very much. I have not read too much about this WW I action, so I do not know how accurately the movie followed the event. Perhaps someone else can tell us. Pat

Pat, if you are referring to the movie staring Ricky Schroder, The Lost Battalion (2001), it was wonderfully acted. It was shown in the past year or so on the History Channel on a program I think was called History or Hollywood. At any rate, this particular series shows war movies and has interviews interspersed in throughout during commercial breaks. As I remember it, the historians said that other than not knowing if the dialog was accurate, the actual events were accurate portrayed. This is a very good link to all kinds of information about the events. http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/lostbatt.htm

Pat, if you are referring to the movie staring Ricky Schroder, The Lost Battalion (2001), it was wonderfully acted. It was shown in the past year or so on the History Channel on a program I think was called History or Hollywood. At any rate, this particular series shows war movies and has interviews interspersed in throughout during commercial breaks. As I remember it, the historians said that other than not knowing if the dialog was accurate, the actual events were accurate portrayed. This is a very good link to all kinds of information about the events. http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/lostbatt.htm

Michael,

Yes, I was referring to the movie starring Ricky Schroder. I appreciate your feedback concerning the historical accuracy of the movie as I never knew how correctly the events were depicted. Thanks for informing me!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

I believe the soldier was saying something like: "easy now, this won't take long, relax"...

Oh, and thanks guys for the kind words. It's my pleasure...:)

Back to SPR, if it was not the same guy why right before he was shot did he say "Haupom". How would he know his name?
Gary

Because there are two Germans. Steamboat Willie, the released private, did not kill Mellish (the stair scene), but he shot Captain Miller on the bridge. As you said, Willie recognized Upham and shouted at him. But the SSguy at the stairs looked right into Uphams face, but this German clearly did no recognize him.

I hope this ends the discussion...

Last edited:
Because there are two Germans. Steamboat Willie, the released private, did not kill Mellish (the stair scene), but he shot Captain Miller on the bridge. As you said, Willie recognized Upham and shouted at him. But the SSguy at the stairs looked right into Uphams face, but this German clearly did no recognize him.

I hope this ends the discussion...

But it does raise another interesting discussion Joey :) One that I sometimes have with my wife who often likes to exercise her feminine intuition when we watch murder mysteries.

She will sometimes say: I know that person is guilty because I can tell he/she is lying. Sadly being a male I don't have any feminine intuition so I am forced to resort to logic. My reply to her is usually: they are all lying darling, they're actors :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back