Flaking Paint! (1 Viewer)

Can't think of anything worse than LAH flaking!!! Fingers crossed so far no such issues with these and, they are cleaned regularly so, these seem as tough as Krupp steel!!
Mitch

QUOTE=ostrein;580382]Recently I had some LAH figures which had small paint flakings. Easy to do on these black uniforms. Only small repairs really. I'm now check these guys frequently. The grey paint used on the LAH figure base seems to be more fragile.

last year I had a very nasty experiance with flaking paint on my AE figures. But I believe it was caused by the vanish (fumes) used in my self restored cabinet. But this horrible experiance was also the introduction to figure painting which has become a very nice add-on to my TS collection :smile2:

Oliver[/QUOTE]

All,

I have an expert painter who has repaired many things for me and for many forum members as well. I've already received a couple of inquiries about repainting.

This person, who owns LeMans, is the best there is (in my opinion) and his rates are reasonable. If you need a reference, please ask Tom Dubel or Marc (Beaufighter).

If you want him to repaint yours, please send me an email (blewin2222@aol.com) with a photo so I can give you an estimate.

Brad

Jazz, K&C should be repairing these. I don't care about this particular AK fig of mine, but if I start seeing flaking with something dearer to my heart, I'm out of here.

Exactly right, plenty of people can repair but, if we keep just saying I know a painter or another jolly one repeated on here for Broken stuff ''buy some superglue'' then manufacturers will never need to rectify poor products.
Mitch

Jazz, K&C should be repairing these. I don't care about this particular AK fig of mine, but if I start seeing flaking with something dearer to my heart, I'm out of here.

Exactly right, plenty of people can repair but, if we keep just saying I know a painter or another jolly one repeated on here for Broken stuff ''buy some superglue'' then manufacturers will never need to rectify poor products.
Mitch

Seems very strange to me that some one can think that a worker getting paid $25 per week in the Toy Soldier factory can glue the figure to the base or paint the beret red, and this is considered a top quality, highly desirable product, yet when a highly skilled modeller getting paid $25 per hour re-glues the figure to the base or re-paints the beret red, this is considered an outrage which has some how de-valued the product.

In the world as we know it, all power rest with the consumer, we all have the choice to buy what we want. Manufacturers are the exact opposite, they bring to market a product in the hope that some one will buy it.

If a manufacturer produces, what the individual considers a poor product, whether it is a car, a cake mix, a light fitting, a candy bar - DON'T BUY IT!

If the restaurant down the road serves inconsistent or bad food - DON'T EAT THERE!

You only get consumer protection when you buy it from an official dealer as the first owner. I trust that if you visit your dealer or purchase from your dealer often enough, the good dealer who knows how important customer relationships are will be able to help.

No dealer will be able to help if the item is purchased from another dealer or from secondary markets.

This is the case for many products, not just toy soldiers.

So far, I have seen that first time defects have been taken care of. For dealers and secondary market, after a while you will get familiar with who is and who is not reliable. I guess no manufacturer will also want to risk his/her reputation. Bad news via forum or Internet travels much faster today than any other time in history.

Rgds,Chris

consumers are buying at that specific time a product they believe is good quality and a price they can or are happy to pay. What you don't then expect is for the paint to fall of, flake etc in a short period of time. Fit for purpose we call it in the UK.

This don't buy it if you don't want it is a misnomer for me in this case as we are not seeing any advertisements saying top quality products but, may flake in five minutes from release of box.
Mitch

Seems very strange to me that some one can think that a worker getting paid $25 per week in the Toy Soldier factory can glue the figure to the base or paint the beret red, and this is considered a top quality, highly desirable product, yet when a highly skilled modeller getting paid $25 per hour re-glues the figure to the base or re-paints the beret red, this is considered an outrage which has some how de-valued the product.

In the world as we know it, all power rest with the consumer, we all have the choice to buy what we want. Manufacturers are the exact opposite, they bring to market a product in the hope that some one will buy it.

If a manufacturer produces, what the individual considers a poor product, whether it is a car, a cake mix, a light fitting, a candy bar - DON'T BUY IT!

If the restaurant down the road serves inconsistent or bad food - DON'T EAT THERE!

OK gents, just my opinion, but the first thing that sprang to mind was lead rot. I see someone else has said the same, but there has been no discussion about it whatsoever. If the figures feel powdery, then I am sure this is the problem. I know there is a reluctance to send them back to the manufacturer, but just because these were bought second hand, any responsible maker would want the figures, partly as a very good source of feedback on a "realistic conditions" consumer test, and also to prevent inferior quality product going round the market place, probably with several different repaints, giving a very bad impression to future customers.
I am sure this particular manufacturer would love to get hold of these figures, they should be given the opportunity at least.

OK gents, just my opinion, but the first thing that sprang to mind was lead rot. I see someone else has said the same, but there has been no discussion about it whatsoever.

That's because it's not lead rot. The paint is flaking off the primer. The metal is 100% intact.

I have pretty much convinced myself that K&C went to a cheaper brand paint sometime after the Great Recession and this is causing the problem. This makes me more than a little angry. At first I thought it was just a rushed worker on the paint line.

Fact Check:

China does cheap. Not quality.

Paint is one of the oldest scam businesses there is. You have one that works, count your blessings & keep it.

I would n e v e r use Chinese paint, but understanding that K&C is based in China, this is probably a necessary evil. But to switch to Uncle Chong's Discount Paint after a recession when Uncle Chong himself is switching his already low quality product to even lower quality ingredients to reduce his cost further is just crazy.

If this is the reason for the flaking, to make a collector pay for a figure twice, once for purchase, once for repair, is not acceptable.

Has anyone experienced paint flaking off a K&C figure similar to what is showing in the attached photo? I'm able to do minor touch ups, etc., but this effectively needs a strip and repaint. The paint comes off on your fingers if you handle the figure. Seems to be mostly the flesh and sand colors. You can see the primer underneath, so it isn't that they weren't primed. Picked these up from a fellow collector, and they had no problems in the box (i.e. they weren't shedding, or bad out of the box until you held them). Hands are clean/free of anything that would stick to the paint. I have hundreds of K&C figures, but this is a first. Maybe some bad paint? Very frustrating.

View attachment 127966

-Rich

Hi RPK,

Maybe this is the problem : the lead in touch with some acetic acid, corrodes and becomes white. The acetic acid is used to make acetate of vinyl. This product enters the composition of paint with fast drying.

Other problem, there's acetic acid in oak wood. Are your figures in a showcase in oak ?

Faithfully
Valmy

That's because it's not lead rot. The paint is flaking off the primer. The metal is 100% intact.

I have pretty much convinced myself that K&C went to a cheaper brand paint sometime after the Great Recession and this is causing the problem. This makes me more than a little angry. At first I thought it was just a rushed worker on the paint line.

Fact Check:

China does cheap. Not quality.

Paint is one of the oldest scam businesses there is. You have one that works, count your blessings & keep it.

I would n e v e r use Chinese paint, but understanding that K&C is based in China, this is probably a necessary evil. But to switch to Uncle Chong's Discount Paint after a recession when Uncle Chong himself is switching his already low quality product to even lower quality ingredients to reduce his cost further is just crazy.

If this is the reason for the flaking, to make a collector pay for a figure twice, once for purchase, once for repair, is not acceptable.

Whilst China has the capacity to mass produce products at a lower price than other countries, China also produces high quality products
throughout a diverse range of industries.

To suggest that it is a fact 'China does cheap not quality' is very dis-heartening to a person like myself that follows the principals of tolerance and respect of my fellow man kind, independent of Nationality, or indeed economic circumstance.

Hi RPK,

Maybe this is the problem : the lead in touch with some acetic acid, corrodes and becomes white. The acetic acid is used to make acetate of vinyl. This product enters the composition of paint with fast drying.

Other problem, there's acetic acid in oak wood. Are your figures in a showcase in oak ?

Faithfully
Valmy

The flak happens on basically the whole figure. I suspect is the clear coat spray/paint they used causing a "chemical reaction" ^&confuse

The flak happens on basically the whole figure. I suspect is the clear coat spray/paint they used causing a "chemical reaction" ^&confuse

Hi DM 101,

Maybe you're right. Probably there's a chemical reaction between two products. For example paint, here the flesh color consists from two to three tints. Are they of the same trademark and especially compatibles ? It can be a reaction between the wood and the figure too.

It can be an other product but I think that the acetate is the only responsable one.

Have a nice we
Faithfully
Valmy

Last edited:
Nice to hear it's not Lead Rot. as stated, only two colours to make up, so even the likes of myself could do it. Good luck.

Can I ask how it is disheartening to you or even remotely affects tolerance or respect to say that China does stuff on the cheap? Its a fact or all our goods we use and buy would not have been for many years produced their and, still are whatever we are told about rising costs. The place still produces cheap products some decent quality some not so that is why it is still used for almost everything today.

we hear that wages have risen but, they are still cheap or manufacturers would not be their making products its just easy to moan at how high they are as an excuse for sudden and constant price rises. Not one comment was a racist, nationalistic slur so, your post makes no real sense unless we can not say a place produces cheap products without some group being offended well, not really a group as always just an individual
Mitch

Whilst China haill used. Manufacturers s the capacity to mass produce products at a lower price than other countries, China also produces high quality products
throughout a diverse range of industries.

To suggest that it is a fact 'China does cheap not quality' is very dis-heartening to a person like myself that follows the principals of tolerance and respect of my fellow man kind, independent of Nationality, or indeed economic circumstance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back