Franco Prussian War Piece (2 Viewers)

Hi Louis,

Thanks for yr comments. Great minds think alike. Hahaha.
When I looked around for inspirational FPW paintings, the most dominant artist was Alphonse de Neuville and his Gravelotte painting was the most dramatic and unusual.
Imagine trying to sculpt an empty space in a shadowbox diorama where all the action is on the periphery.

Ive resized the bkgd bldg and built up the base with cardbd bricks and the converted airfix figs.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 10
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi Louis,

That is a packed display. I also see a vintage coat and doll? You don't do things by halves, do you? Hahahaa.

Here's my update on the bkgd piece. I added more details to the bldgs and groundwork and painted it.

Rgds Victor

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 7
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 7
Hi Louis,

That is a packed display. I also see a vintage coat and doll? You don't do things by halves, do you? Hahahaa.

Here's my update on the bkgd piece. I added more details to the bldgs and groundwork and painted it.

Rgds Victor
Yes Victor, I'm kind of nuts, I have three Franco Prussian War uniforms among the 50 or so full and partial uniforms I have on display, along with around 80 period Soldier Dolls (mostly Steiff, but also Harwin, Kathe Kruse, Tenue du Campagne from the French Great War Museum at Vincennes). Your background piece looks fantastic! If you ever want to part with this piece I would love to buy it and add it to my Franco Prussian War display!

Hi Louis,

Your collection is already at a priceless level. I still need this piece as part of my FPW piece. But thank you for your most gracious compliment. Some WIP.

More bkgd bldgs are being fabricated.
Im making 4 more figures.
The sky bkdg is being fabricated.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 2
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2
I ptd the sky and when dry, stuck the bldgs onto it. Then painted the fire and smoke.

The gate was further sculpted.

Attachments

• a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 6
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6
Detailed the gateway and added the gate. Then I started to construct the surrounding buildings and posed them within the diorama.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 7
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 4
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 7
I sculpted most of the main group crashing thru the gateway. Then these were underpainted. Looks like the shot French soldier will be the first to be completed.

Attachments

• b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi Jason,

thanks for looking in. I got into the FPW because Ive currently exhausted my search for Napoleonic lore for now. Its still a colourful period and I had a supply of pickelhaubes and kepis to use up.... I cant work at my usual breakneck speed as I had surgery on my shoulder and am still in physiotherapy since June....

Ive painted the bldgs and after several trials of testfitting including shifting the base and trimming bits off here and there, here's the penultimate setting.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 10
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
The figures charging thru the gateway were posed and then I added the muskets and sword.

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 3
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3
I started to add bricks and completed this and also added small rocks as well.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 3
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back