"Freedom Road 1863" (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
Caleb Washington, formerly an enslaved fieldworker on a tobacco plantation, but now a member of the U.S. Colored Troops, quick steps
past the ruins of a Virginia farmhouse with his eyes upon the future before him.

"The United States War Department issued General Order Number 143 on May 22, 1863, establishing a "Bureau of Colored Troops" to facilitate the recruitment of African-American soldiers to fight for the Union Army. Regiments, including infantry, cavalry, engineers, light artillery, and heavy artillery units, were recruited from all states of the Union and became known as the United States Colored Troops (USCT). Approximately 175 regiments of over 178,000 free blacks and freed slaves served during the last two years of the war, and bolstered the Union war effort at a critical time. By war's end, the USCT were approximately a tenth of all Union troops. There were 2,751 USCT combat casualties during the war, and 68,178 losses from all causes."

WB U.S. Colored Troops Marching #1

Attachments

• FreedomRoad2Mat2.jpg
    FreedomRoad2Mat2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 278
Nice! I can't believe that that figure is in stores already!
Thanks for the pic,
Sandor

Nicely done Randy . . . . Saw thjis figure last week at the W. Britain/Wisconsin Veteran's Museum event . . . .
:smile2: Mike

"Give em Hell 54th!!".............still one of the greatest movie lines ever.......

As usual Randy another touch of history brought to life with one of your photos and story lines.

Is this really a depiction of Caleb Washington - Was Caleb Washington an actual member of the CT's? I can not find him on a roster.

Is this really a depiction of Caleb Washington - Was Caleb Washington an actual member of the CT's? I can not find him on a roster.

No I created the character for my narrative scene as I do with most of my photo-dioramas. I try to pick names appropriate to each subject.

It's great to see somebody making African American Civil War soldiers. It seems (and I could be way off base on this) that few do. Great dio, as usual, Randy.

I saw on the Treefrog shopping site that the figure is described as Colored Soldier #1. Does that mean there will be a #2 and so forth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back