FSK Bridge (1 Viewer)

sammy719

Major
Being that I just recently moved back to Maryland and getting accustomed to locations and what not it was a gut punch to see the Francis Scott Key Bridge falling into the Pataseco River😢😢😢 I live in Pasadena Maryland only about 10 minutes or less from the bridge, the metal Span always spooked me ad you're up 185 feet over the river but it was a majestic bridge and was surely part of the Skyline of the Baltimore Harbor, the City seems in mourning today to match the weather, along with the 6 Workers that lost thier lives 🙏 hopefully the repairs will happen soon and a new Skyline will emerge and be just as memorable as the Key Bridge....Maryland Strong...Baltimore Tough.

Being that I just recently moved back to Maryland and getting accustomed to locations and what not it was a gut punch to see the Francis Scott Key Bridge falling into the Pataseco River😢😢😢 I live in Pasadena Maryland only about 10 minutes or less from the bridge, the metal Span always spooked me ad you're up 185 feet over the river but it was a majestic bridge and was surely part of the Skyline of the Baltimore Harbor, the City seems in mourning today to match the weather, along with the 6 Workers that lost thier lives 🙏 hopefully the repairs will happen soon and a new Skyline will emerge and be just as memorable as the Key Bridge....Maryland Strong...Baltimore Tough.

EPIC human error, the real miracle is they stopped traffic onto the bridge in nick of time. That said, when the record comes out, this is going to be an epic idiotic human error. I can't say DA enough and it is sad.

As to when it will be back, you are looking at 5 plus years.

TD

EPIC human error, the real miracle is they stopped traffic onto the bridge in nick of time. That said, when the record comes out, this is going to be an epic idiotic human error. I can't say DA enough and it is sad.

As to when it will be back, you are looking at 5 plus years.

TD

A Professor of civil and systems engineering at Johns Hopkins said that he’s lived through quite a few infrastructure projects and they rarely take less than ten years.

The surprise isn't that the bridge collapsed but that it took so long to happen. How many barges have gone under that bridge over the last 50 years? It just takes one accident. And the infrastructure in the US is a disgrace. Airports, road and bridges are a mess. I see chunks of local bridges breaking off. Not a great feeling to get stuck in traffic underneath one. The "infrastructure" money mostly went to other purposes or pointless wars. Imagine if a fraction of the money spent on Afghanistan, Vietnam, Iraq, and Ukraine were devoted to infrastructure. And where was Mothman?

The ship lost power and thus steerage. Fortunately they put out an emergency call which allowed police 90 seconds to close the bridge. The Florida Skyway bridge collapsed from similar accident, with cars and buses going into the bay, in 1980. That's five yrs before Key Bridge was built. Wasn't there a risk assessment done? The Skyway bridge constructed concrete barriers in the shipping lane when rebuilt.

sunshine-skyway-bridge.jpg

A Professor of civil and systems engineering at Johns Hopkins said that he’s lived through quite a few infrastructure projects and they rarely take less than ten years.

With design, studies and permits, you are probably right.
Tom

The ship lost power and thus steerage. Fortunately they put out an emergency call which allowed police 90 seconds to close the bridge. The Florida Skyway bridge collapsed from similar accident, with cars and buses going into the bay, in 1980. That's five yrs before Key Bridge was built. Wasn't there a risk assessment done? The Skyway bridge constructed concrete barriers in the shipping lane when rebuilt.

sunshine-skyway-bridge.jpg

Yup, not only human error in the current accident from what I am hearing, i.e. once it lost power once, should have been shut down and anchored until the problem was able to be determined. What is worse, 2 harbor pilots were onboard, they should know better. But, your point on refurbishing the barriers is well taken. WHY there was not improvements over the years is beyond me.

On a side note, not sure if you have been watching Baltimore's mayor, but what a maroon. You wonder why the nation calls people baltomorons. He takes the cake.

TD

Yup, not only human error in the current accident from what I am hearing, i.e. once it lost power once, should have been shut down and anchored until the problem was able to be determined. What is worse, 2 harbor pilots were onboard, they should know better. But, your point on refurbishing the barriers is well taken. WHY there was not improvements over the years is beyond me.

On a side note, not sure if you have been watching Baltimore's mayor, but what a maroon. You wonder why the nation calls people baltomorons. He takes the cake.

TD

Having grown up in Baltimore, I take it to mean crab cake when you say "baltomorons" takes the cake. :smile2: BTW, I left the city 50 yrs ago and sadly, it's nothing like when I lived there as a kid.

Having grown up in Baltimore, I take it to mean crab cake when you say "baltomorons" takes the cake. :smile2: BTW, I left the city 50 yrs ago and sadly, it's nothing like when I lived there as a kid.

It is just sad unfortunately. To be fair, I never have/had a connection to Baltimore, I spent most of my youth in Harford, Carroll, Worcester and Washington counties and was more connected to Pittsburgh, so I may be a little bent................... That said, it is sad as the City just continues to implode in more ways than one. Drugs, corruption, no education and plain thievery, just shenanigans all the way around. To put a point on it, Baltimore City Government can't account for 2 $50 Million State appropriations over a 10 year period. Yes, you read that right, they "lost" $100 Million dollars and when questioned by the State, they called the entire State bias and racist. The money was stolen by corrupt politicians, they ended up were able to account for about $15M under audit that actually went to the schools.

The only other jurisdiction I know of in the US in recent history with that fiscal track record is the State of Louisiana. Hurrican Katrina - Federal Government gave $50 Million each to Louisiana and Mississippi. Mississippi spent all $50 Million on the rebuild and accounted for ever penny. I believe they even returned or didn't use about 6 Million. Louisiana spent $8M and "lost" the other $42 Million and I am pretty sure it has not been recovered to this day.

You just can't make it up.

The only other jurisdiction I know of in the US in recent history with that fiscal track record is the State of Louisiana. Hurrican Katrina - Federal Government gave $50 Million each to Louisiana and Mississippi. Mississippi spent all $50 Million on the rebuild and accounted for ever penny. I believe they even returned or didn't use about 6 Million. Louisiana spent $8M and "lost" the other $42 Million and I am pretty sure it has not been recovered to this day.

You just can't make it up.[/QUOTE]

There was a national news story just a couple of yrs ago. Baltimore City teachers had children wear their coats to class because there was no heat, and this was in January. The governor stated millions (I don't remember how much, but quite a bit) had been budgeted to the city to update the school physical plants but, as you said, there was no accounting for the money.

The city population has decreased from 900,000 to 600,000 and has been closing schools and libraries. It's just a mess.

I feel sorry for the children there as a lot of them will end up breaking the law because the don't have a chance at a proper education, because the greed of a few. The state when they give grants to Baltimore for education and other projects should watch them like a hawk.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back