Future London Shows 2023 (1 Viewer)

Barkmann

Sergeant First Class
The organisers of the show passed round a flyer/leaflet for the March 2023 show, they are going to combine the show with Plastic Modellier etc. Think it is a great idea as will attract a different and more diverse crowd to the show.

more than just combining with plastic show, railway, aviation. fantasy and truck, car and farmer (whatever they are!). here is said letter;

20220628_065947.jpg

Good idea to combine events. Might create a bit more cash for a goo venue. Like back to the Design Centre Islington. Away from the atmosphere of a car boot sale.

Good idea to combine events. Might create a bit more cash for a goo venue. Like back to the Design Centre Islington. Away from the atmosphere of a car boot sale.

I agree, i really dislike the venue, but think it is very cheap, especially when compared with the design centre, but there has to be way better options than the school. However, firstly it is the only show in the UK and secondly the organisers always go for the cheap option, remember in business there is only 2 things that matter, making money and saving money.

As a long time dealer, I've never been a fan of "combination" shows; ie, combining toy soldier shows with train/toy/book/model kit/militaria vendors, the vast majority of the non toy soldier clientele had no clue or interest in toy soldiers, they were there for trains, toys, books, model kits, militaria, not toy soldiers.

That said, with less and less full time toy soldier dealers still in the game, this has become the norm, you have to fill a room, so this is the result.

As a promoter, you do what you have to do to keep things going.

more than just combining with plastic show, railway, aviation. fantasy and truck, car and farmer (whatever they are!). here is said letter;

View attachment 289324

I've just noticed this thread advising that the next London TS show combines with several more popular hobbies such as Plastic models and Trains. It will be interesting to see feedback from those that attend next year.

First step: downsize show
Second step: include with other shows
Third step: no show

You left out; move the show, but otherwise, pretty much................I'm sure toy soldier collectors will be thrilled to see beanie babies, legos, choo choo trains, stacks of moldy model kit boxes and other such items of hot garbage that they could care less about.

As the late, great Bill Lango of The East Coast Toy Soldier Show fame once told me "My job as a promoter is twofold; one, to fill the room with quality vendors offering quality merchandise and two, to get as many qualified buyers through the door as possible"..................

Well said my friend, RIP and say hello to my Pops and wish him a Merry Christmas.......:(

I heard a rumour it's moved to Milton Keynes, or was it Bletchly Park. Either way it won't be far to travel considering the tiny size of Britain.

Albeit in a smaller presence than usual, Maison Militaire will be attending (first time for a while) the London Toy Soldier (combined with other hobbies) Show this Saturday 25th March 2023.

Use it or loose it..............

In the World of El Cheapo bendy plastic, Look but don't Touch may be beyond the endurance of some !

First step: move the show (thank you George!)
Second step: downsize the show
Third step: include with other shows
Fourth step: no show

There is an optional step that can happen at any point during the above sequence of: rename the show.

In the World of El Cheapo bendy plastic, Look but don't Touch may be beyond the endurance of some !

There is an optional step that can happen at any point during the above sequence of: rename the show.

Well it's all we've got........ :)

"When the World is running down, you make the best of what's still around" - The Police, Zenyatta Mondatta, 1980

:salute::

The way consumers shop and gather information changes; you either keep up with/are ahead of those changes or you are a dinosaur.

I'll leave it at that, don't want to be called "negative"..............:rolleyes2:.

Negative=realistic.

I heard a rumour it's moved to Milton Keynes, or was it Bletchly Park. Either way it won't be far to travel considering the tiny size of Britain.

Not with our railway system, everywhere is a long way, and expensive, from anywhere.

Well it's all we've got........ :)

"When the World is running down, you make the best of what's still around" - The Police, Zenyatta Mondatta, 1980

:salute::

Nicely put, I agree, no one else is putting themselves forward to organise anything. I did not go to this one, was due to but circumstances took over. The show has been on a bit of a decline for a while, dealers etc as much to blame as the organisers, if and it is a big IF anyone is to blame and not just a natural progression. No First Legion or K & C representatives there, there are some dealers, Samex are great and Rob sells K & C, plus a few bits round on stands, but not the same as having a K & C stand. F Legion, i do not collect but i know people missed them. Big dealers pulled out, such as IC Toys [they had 12 tables] and way fewer overseas visitors/dealers. Think it is just a natural progression, way the market has changed, fewer collectors, we are becoming what we have always known, elite. Cannot really blame dealers if they are not making the sales, as collectors we must realise just how much effort and time a show takes for dealers and if not worth it then why attend? K & C have no UK representative and i cannot blame Andy for attending, it is a long way and expensive, as stated previously, natural progression i think, put together with people struggling financially or just taking stock of what is important.

Interesting to see feedback, but we are a pessimistic group sometimes, with many seeminly like having no glass, instead of a half full one.

Thomas Gunn are there and there some great Viet Min fighting figures, Roman Pretorians, new Slaves and garden nymps for Egypt/Roman scenes on show there. Saw them when i was down at T Gunn last week, did not take pictures because they were going to be at the show and in the next newsletter.

Nicely put, I agree, no one else is putting themselves forward to organise anything. I did not go to this one, was due to but circumstances took over. The show has been on a bit of a decline for a while, dealers etc as much to blame as the organisers, if and it is a big IF anyone is to blame and not just a natural progression. No First Legion or K & C representatives there, there are some dealers, Samex are great and Rob sells K & C, plus a few bits round on stands, but not the same as having a K & C stand. F Legion, i do not collect but i know people missed them. Big dealers pulled out, such as IC Toys [they had 12 tables] and way fewer overseas visitors/dealers. Think it is just a natural progression, way the market has changed, fewer collectors, we are becoming what we have always known, elite. Cannot really blame dealers if they are not making the sales, as collectors we must realise just how much effort and time a show takes for dealers and if not worth it then why attend? K & C have no UK representative and i cannot blame Andy for attending, it is a long way and expensive, as stated previously, natural progression i think, put together with people struggling financially or just taking stock of what is important.

Interesting to see feedback, but we are a pessimistic group sometimes, with many seeminly like having no glass, instead of a half full one.

Thomas Gunn are there and there some great Viet Min fighting figures, Roman Pretorians, new Slaves and garden nymps for Egypt/Roman scenes on show there. Saw them when i was down at T Gunn last week, did not take pictures because they were going to be at the show and in the next newsletter.

I agree with everything you say Barkman, spot on.

I did attend the show today and must say I was pleasantly surprised :) I did the 'early bird' and there was quite a few customers already there. 10.30 saw a substantial influx (actually a packed queue waiting to get in)

It was billed outside as 'The London Spring Model Show' .......... (fair enough) which does not bother me as I am into plastic/resin kits as well as Toy Soldier collecting. The Churchill hall was back in action, giving all the 5 areas
that originally housed the show. I would guess the Show was split reasonably evenly between Plastic Modelling and Toy Soldiers. There were 3 (I think) Hobby stalls selling modelling accessories. Very handy addition to the show for either hobbies I thought. I came away with paint brushes and a couple of 'wash' bottles. Quite a few modelling clubs were in attendance with some excellent finished models highlighting their members skills.

It was nice to chat to David Marshall, Clive and Sue (JJD) and Tina and Robin (K&C, First Legion, et al) again. Nothing really new Toy soldier wise (as far as I could see) apart from the Thomas Gun offerings you mentioned (and the latest JJD and K&C)) I did come away with a King and Country figure that has been on my SAS/LRDG wants list for some time - EA021 'On Guard'. Very pleased with that - would not have got it if I had not gone to the Show.
(You have to be in it to win it) :wink2:

There's life in the old dog yet?

Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back