Getting inside Mike's pictures (1 Viewer)

rharry

Private 1st Class
I been painting watercolors for many years. So when I do a painting I like to tell more then one story....There is an overall story just like Mikes work and there is also stories within the whole scene that has value and depth.

Sometimes I will forget to look for these sub_stories....Here is an example of what I like to do with Mike. I broke the scene down into 4 sections...Then I try to put myself into this small scene and understand exactly what must these guys be thinking. Are they together in this end of the scene because they were friends. On the far left we see the flagbearer, it appears he's been hit.....I ask myself who will pick up the colors?

Note the 3rd block, the guy behind the fence post. Kind of by himself and appears to be hiding. Wonder what he is thinking.....Is he scared to death? Is he involved in the fight or is he hiding from fear of the battle?????

I can imagine for some it sounds tedious but as an artist it is something that gives me pleasure, trying to force myself to see within the scene.....

MikeA-1.jpg

Far from tedious IMO its great that the hobby and the releases can enthuse collectors to such detail
Mitch

It's great idea Rick and something to be honest I have never looked at. I am sure from now on though it will make me look at photos differently.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Mikes photo.

Rick, I am flattered that my photos have taken you one step further than just a picture for viewing. With each passing day I find this hobby taking me more and more to photography as the emphasis rather than just the collecting of another toy soldier. In fact, just this morning I was having a lovely telephone chat with Ericka Osen (Hudson and Allen) where I expressed that I am starting to concentrate more on acquiring the props, back drops, terrain bases that actually faciliate the photography process in making my soldiers come to life. Along with this, I try very hard to develope a scenario that has a true historical reference which requires a little research and study on my part, thus allowing me to learn even more about the history I so much love photographing. Thank you again for the compliment and I hope you continue to enjoy my humble offerings . . . . .
:) Mike

Oh ya I love your stuff....And Randy's work too he is a master of "less is more"....

Here is my fav of all....a brilliant story within a story.........In my minds eye I can see this guy calling, "come on boys this way to the front, let's hurry"....

mike1-1.jpg

You have a good eye and an acute imagination Rick. I placed that particular figure there with that very basic intent in mind . . . . .

Mike, isn't it cool that gradually more and more Collectors are making the transition from a static, shelf centered hobby to a more dynamic and flexible photography centered one? Being able to create, tell and share stories using the figures and props as means to an end instead of an end in themselves is a subtle but dramatic paradigm shift. This shift happened for me many years ago and it's very gratifying to know that others, like you, get it. And boy, do you get it!

Take care,

Joe

Mike, isn't it cool that gradually more and more Collectors are making the transition from a static, shelf centered hobby to a more dynamic and flexible photography centered one? Being able to create, tell and share stories using the figures and props as means to an end instead of an end in themselves is a subtle but dramatic paradigm shift. This shift happened for me many years ago and it's very gratifying to know that others, like you, get it. And boy, do you get it!

Take care,

Joe

Thank you my friend for your kind words. Coming from one of the "photography masters" of this forum it means a lot to me. Its going on 5 weeks now since we last "played" - must get together soon. The wind and falling leaves have kept me very busy raking these past many days - soon that will be over with and I will be able to get back to the hobby.

Take care,

Joe

Agree Joe with you on both points an as my mentor it's been great learning from you over the years. Now off to a lttle play time in my Land of the Zulus...............The Lt.

I must admit I do this too when setting dioramas for the catalog. It brings it all to life.

Agree Joe with you on both points an as my mentor it's been great learning from you over the years. Now off to a lttle play time in my Land of the Zulus...............The Lt.

Ya Joe I did not mean to leave you out with the list of great photo/dio guys....I am learning more about the Zulus and other figures...lot of guys here are great models for this hobby.....I don't even miss my tractors....

I will admit alot of my stuff is static, on display and such I should really be taking more photos myself. But then each collector has there own way on what they want to do with there collection.

I will admit alot of my stuff is static, on display and such I should really be taking more photos myself. But then each collector has there own way on what they want to do with there collection.

Nothing wrong with static. Sometimes that is the best way to display a figure. A lot has to do with the type of figure. Some fairly sream for a background and a story line. Each person has to decide for themselves how they will display their collection. I admit to using both ways.

In addition to trying to imagine what the soldiers are thinking, I sometimes go a step further and don my reenacting attire, w/weapons, and get into the exact poses. There are subtly nuances we sometimes don't realize without this. I also am increasingly focusing on scenery. I have a ton of Projects on the way. A redoubt with RHA and Brit light inf, attacked by French LI. A French gunboat, an artillery battery, a smaller redoubt, a log stockade, a large French stone fort...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back