Gettysburg Battlefield (1 Viewer)

bearybones

Sergeant
I don't collect the American Civil War series, but I am a history buff, had the Marx Civil War Playset when I was a kid and I enjoy viewing the civil war dioramas that Treefrog members post. Anyway, I visited the Gettysburg Battlefield last month. What an icredible experience that was for me. It takes at least one entire day to experience the cyclorama and do the drive through program, to all of the stops. I previously had no idea that the whole ten miles of the battlefield had been preserved. What an incredible, eye opening experience. The devotion to duty and sacrifice of the soldiers in both armies was a truly inspiring experience for me.

I don't collect the American Civil War series, but I am a history buff, had the Marx Civil War Playset when I was a kid and I enjoy viewing the civil war dioramas that Treefrog members post. Anyway, I visited the Gettysburg Battlefield last month. What an icredible experience that was for me. It takes at least one entire day to experience the cyclorama and do the drive through program, to all of the stops. I previously had no idea that the whole ten miles of the battlefield had been preserved. What an incredible, eye opening experience. The devotion to duty and sacrifice of the soldiers in both armies was a truly inspiring experience for me.

"bearybones":

I have visited the Battle of Gettysburg area 4 times between 1958 and 1998. Yes, it is a most noteworthy experience! In 1998 I talked to a man from England who was amazed about the ability of visitors there to have 100% access to the battlefield. The last time I saw the battlefield we took a local bus tour which was very good, but the self guided use your own car tour of the battlefield using the points of interest map that you can get for free is even better I think. Yes, it is great that the entire main part of the battlefield has been preserved which of course includes the town of Gettysburg, PA. It is neat to go along the Union line and then loop over to go along the Confederate line which gives one a complete view of what happened there in early July 1863. By the way, my user name at the Treefrog Forum relates to the Union Army's "Iron Brigade" which was at the battle of Gettysburg & took major casualties. Three of the five regiments of this brigade were from Wisconsin, my home state.

"Iron Briagde"

Last edited:
Gettysburg is one of my favorite places. In fact my wife and I were there the end of September. I see something new every time I go there.

Gettysburg is the best. Impossible to get bored or run out of things to see or do. I've been there many, many times and it just gets better each time I go, almost like it is the first time I've seen it. -- Al

I am glad you enjoyed the experience. I have been 5 times since 2000, spending over 2 weeks there.. Each visit has added to my knowledge of the battle. I havephotographed most of it with a tripod, stood on Little Round surrounded by thousands of fireflies, run sections of the park, explored areas in detail, camped out, taken a ranger guided tour of the angle, and eaten way too much at General Pickett's Buffet. So many things to see, do, and learn. I also started collecting toy soldiers during my first visit.

I am glad you enjoyed the experience. I have been 5 times since 2000, spending over 2 weeks there.. Each visit has added to my knowledge of the battle. I havephotographed most of it with a tripod, stood on Little Round surrounded by thousands of fireflies, run sections of the park, explored areas in detail, camped out, taken a ranger guided tour of the angle, and eaten way too much at General Pickett's Buffet. So many things to see, do, and learn. I also started collecting toy soldiers during my first visit.

Hahaha...I agree with your post! Gettysburg is a wonderful place and I have been there a total of 3 times and will most likely be back next year.

I went to Gettysburg for the first time this spring, and it was an experience I will never forget. Even my wife enjoyed the visit, and I plan to return the next chance I get.

I have been there twice as a child and twice as an adult with each visit being a memorable experience and well
Worth the visit. Plus there are 2 Toy Soldier shops in town.....conveniently located. ^&grin

Lucky enought to live about 35 miles away so i go there fairly often. Love the area around the rose farm and can't beat Little round top at sunset. Been going there since the 70's and it is amazing to see how well they are restoring it to the actual appearance of 1863. Also enjoy going down to Spotsylvania and Chancellorsville. Brad

I went to Gettysburg 3-times and because of this, started collecting Civil War soldiers before my WWII collection. I like the desperate fight of the common soldier and Gettysburg has plenty of that!

I have been to Gettysburg twice . The 2nd time I had the guided auto tour . It really helped me with getting the various positions situated in my mind which really enhances my understanding and enjoyment when reading about the battle ( I stood on Little Round Top !!!) .
I collect ACW and I was moved when visiting the battle field and realizing the dedication and sacrifice that occurred on both sides.

The preservation of the battle field is a remarkable feat .

Can't wait to visit again.

From a Canadian

Regards
Kirk

As another Canadian ........I have been there about 8 times in the last 8 years even once for the toy soldier show....as a civil war reenactor I have been to 3 reenactments ......it is quite the place ...I enjoy just walking around ......I also have quite afew Civil War Toy Soldiers .....King and Country...Britians ....and First Legion....I even have some of the first Herald and Swoppet Civil war Soldiers ....can't get enough...^&grin

My wife and I both enoy Gettysburg. I live about 2 hours away so we have been there on several occasions. My favotire time of year to visit is Fall. Hoping to make it back again before the end of the year.

Walt

Had the pleasure of visiting the Gettysburg battlefield & town as a day-trip bus tour from Washington in July 2011. Although not a huge ACW fan, it was a very memorable day and an amazing experiance regardless and would highly recommend a visit to anyone.

I couldn't get over how big the site was, especially if you starting walking about. The massive diorama of the battle is a must see and the town tour, which takes you into several historic homes was well worth taking.

Gettysburg was also the first place in the US that I got to see K&C figures and vehicles on display in a TS Hobbie store.....we don't have shops like this back home.

Sadly ran out of time to view everything, but had a great time all the same and came away with some neat photographs etc.

Would visit again anytime.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back