Gettysburg Show (2 Viewers)

Combat

Brigadier General
I picked up a flyer on the 1st Annual Gettysburg Toy Soldier Show. The date is April 27, 2008 (10AM-3PM) at the Gettysburg Hotel, One Lincoln Square (downtown on the main square/traffic circle). That's all I know at this point -I believe this may be the same weekend as the "Valley Forge" show now held somewhere in Delaware.

The new Gettysburg battlefield visitor center is opening just two weeks before the April 27 show. It replaces the long outdated visitor center adjacent to the national cemetery. Here is an interesting article on the "electric map" that many visitors may remember:

End is near for the iconic Electric Map

The plug is being pulled April 13 on the legendary Electric Map at Gettysburg National Military Park — the day before the new $105 million visitor center and museum opens along the Baltimore Pike. Battlefield leaders intend to store the map in a temporary facility until they resolve its long-term fate.

“We’re not taking it with us. It’s mechanically obsolete,” said Gettysburg National Military Park Supt. Dr. John A. Latschar. “It’s a decision that we made a while ago.”

More than 61 million people, according to federal statistics, have viewed the Electric Map, located at the present-day battlefield visitor center along the Taneytown Road, in the last seven decades. The map uses 625 Christmas lights to illustrate the movement of troops during the three-day Battle of Gettysburg.

“There’s a lot of nostalgia,” said Latschar, during a recent interview with the Gettysburg Times. “People grew up with the Electric Map, and many people can remember their first trip to Gettysburg, when they came in and watched the Electric Map program. For many people, their first visit was in the 1930s and 1940s when the Electric Map was a memorial event, because it was new and unusual when it was first created. But to kids that come to the park in 2006-07, the Electric Map puts them to sleep. The technology has not kept up with the times.”

The 70-year-old map’s next home?

“We’ll probably wrap it up and put it in one of our barns…until we figure out what we’re going to do with it, or decide where it’s going to go. It’ll be relatively safe, because all of our barns have a fire suppression system,” said Latschar. “But we haven’t even reached that point yet. We haven’t spent any money on engineering or figured out how we’re going to take it apart. We just don’t know.”

Relatives of Electric Map inventor Joseph Rosensteel had hoped his creation would remain on display, somewhere.

“It was his life’s work, and we don’t want to see it go away,” Christine Rosensteel, daughter of the late Joseph Rosensteel, said in a previous Times report.

The 900 square-foot map, park officials promise, will be safeguarded.

“We’ll preserve it until the National Park Service and the Gettysburg Foundation have the leisure to figure out if we’re going to have a future use,” said Latschar.

The map’s current home, at the present-day battlefield visitor center, is scheduled to be razed within the next 24 months, and NPS officials maintain that it wouldn’t make fiscal sense to crane the electronic structure out of the building.

“It’s 30 by 30, plywood and affixed to a steel frame,” explained Latschar. “Unless you have the ability to store it in one piece, in a 30-by-30 facility that will bear its weight, you have to take it apart. We’re going to have to take it out in pieces.”

After unsuccessful donation attempts, Gettysburg Battlefield administrators contemplated destroying the map, before deciding to store it.

“Several years ago when we knew that we didn’t have a use for it in the new museum, and I knew that I might get into trouble if I announced I was going to throw it on the scrap heap, we started looking for a good home. But we haven’t found a good home,” said Latschar. “We approached some major institutions, and everyone we talked to had an initial interest, because they’ve all heard of the Electric Map. But once they found at more, or actually came down and looked at the map and saw its size, they realized that they didn’t want it.”

Last year, the park and its non-profit partner, the Gettysburg Foundation, entertained offers from private entities for the map, but there were stipulations.

“You had to be non-profit. We weren’t about to give it away to a commercial venture,” said Latschar. “You also had to be away from Gettysburg, because we didn’t want anyone advertising that they had the original Electric Map, and then profiting from it, and competing with everything the (Gettysburg) Foundation is trying to do. After a while, though, we thought we were spending a lot of time with off the wall requests.”

When the new battlefield museum opens April 14, educational programs — like three miniature electronic diagrams and a 25-minute film — will replace the Electric Map.

The map’s technology, once innovative, is now archaic.

“It’s getting harder and harder to find lights for it,” GNMP curator Dean Knudsen said in a previous Times report. “It is especially hard to find replacements for the switches when they blow.”

Originally built in 1939 by Joseph Rosensteel, the map was an advanced measure of giving the battlefield’s 2 million annual visitors an overview of the Battle of Gettysburg.

Miniature bulbs activate, blinking off and on, showing the position and movement of the Union and Confederate armies.

“My personal reflection, when I first saw it in the 1990s, was that it was boring. I thought it took far longer than what it should have to tell the story that it was trying to tell, and it was telling that story in a fairly antiquated means,” said Latschar. “But there’s also another aspect to my opinion: I’m red, green brown color blind, just like a quarter of the male population in the United States, so I have a hard time distinguishing the lights. It’s something that people weren’t thinking about in the 1930s.”

Rosensteel used research from the War Department to locate the position, and advancement of troops in Gettysburg.

He then marked those observations on a topographic map.

The original masterpiece was in use until the early 1960s, when a newer version was built in an auditorium along Cemetery Ridge.

Years later, the federal government bought that facility, the current GNMP visitor center, and the map has never been relocated.

I do not have the name handy, but there as attraction just outside of Gettysburg, that has the same feel of the electric map, but uses led's and laser wands to portray timed movement and battle effects on a 3d battlefield, complete with town buildings..It is one of my favorite visits ,when I go, for the day...Maybe, one of you locals can remember the name. It is located at a horse tour and campground...Michael

I do not have the name handy, but there as attraction just outside of Gettysburg, that has the same feel of the electric map, but uses led's and laser wands to portray timed movement and battle effects on a 3d battlefield, complete with town buildings..It is one of my favorite visits ,when I go, for the day...Maybe, one of you locals can remember the name. It is located at a horse tour and campground...Michael

Michael-
This might be it. The largest diorama in the US according to their website with 20,000 soldiers:

http://www.artilleryridge.com/museind.html

Have we done a roll call yet??

CC Present!!

(I hope, may have to miss this one :mad::mad:- for a good cause though).

I gotta bring my stinkin brother in law- he's one of those guys that won't shut up, just talks on and on and on and about nothing anyone could possibly care about. I hate doing this but he makes himself so easy to get picked on- he's a Gun rights nut and I just get him all worked up over banning guns- it's pretty funny- he gets to the point where he won't talk to me- which is the end result I am looking for anyway........:D:D

Anyway, CC should be present and accounted for. If I see any of you chuckleheads, I'll give a shout.

I will be there with loads of K & C, Britains, Jenkins, First Legion, Del Prado, Patriot, Figarti, various diecast vehicles, plastic in both scalesa and loads of diorama accessories, this should be a good one, not to be missed........................

I will be there with loads of K & C, Britains, Jenkins, First Legion, Del Prado, Patriot, Figarti, various diecast vehicles, plastic in both scalesa and loads of diorama accessories, this should be a good one, not to be missed........................

I should probably just give you my debit card info-now huh?? :D:D

I'm coming loaded for bear for this bad boy- you guys should see my basement- I got stuff all over the place with this ebay swap meet/ fund raiser I got going on- empty boxes, bubble wrap, etc- the numbers are looking REAL GOOD!!! Wahoo!!!!!!!

That's what I like to hear (the selling of stuff on Ebay part, although the giving me your debit card info bit is nice too................)

That's what I like to hear (the selling of stuff on Ebay part, although the giving me your debit card info bit is nice too................)

It's better I give you cash brother, my debit card is like pulling the line on the reserve chute, might work half the time, the rest of the time, hold your breath, say three Hail Mary's and be ready to become a dirt torpedo:D

This will actually be my first toy soldier show. Is there any advantage to buying at a show versus buying the soldiers in a store or online?

I will be there....As to advantages of buying from shows, there are always a chance at bargains, as well as finding that odd piece, that you would never stumble onto surfing the net..The last Valley Forge show was one of my best as I found a Steadfast WW1 Armored car, a wonderfully detailed WW1 Sopwith Pup airplane, and loose deck guns for my 54mm gunboats, all at 50% off normal list...Michael

I will also be attending. Definately looking forward to a whole rare weekend off from work. Saturday evening I'm going to see the Moody Blues in concert here in Easton. Up early Sunday for the 2.5 hour drive to G'Burg. and hopefully find a few things to add to AK and BBG. Mike from Stockade Miniatures will aslo be setting up at the show. He is a great guy to do business with.

Per the rumbling at the West Coaster I would pre-order the V-2 & have the respective dealer bring it there for you. It is a wonderful piece & the figures are very impressive too. Enjoy. Of course, more support equipment for the V-2 are in the works!

Tally Ho,
Beaufighter

Combat,
I will have yours in time to bring to the show for you; regarding buying at the show, as others have mentioned, it gives you the chance to see the items in person and also to chat with fellow collectors, a good time had by all...........

Regards,
George

Hi There...For those of you who haven't been to Gettysburg or a toy soldier show, this would be a great first time event. This is also a good time to visit the battlefield...before the summer rush.
Richard Walker and I will be there showing some of the 1st Gear/W.Britain product and to answer any questions you might have. Hope to see some of you there!
All the Best!
Ken

Plus the new visitors center opens up in April, should be stunning.........

I will also be attending. Definately looking forward to a whole rare weekend off from work. Saturday evening I'm going to see the Moody Blues in concert here in Easton. Up early Sunday for the 2.5 hour drive to G'Burg. and hopefully find a few things to add to AK and BBG. Mike from Stockade Miniatures will aslo be setting up at the show. He is a great guy to do business with.

Saw the Moody Blues last night in El Paso, only 3 of the original guys, but the music lives.
Ray

This will actually be my first toy soldier show. Is there any advantage to buying at a show versus buying the soldiers in a store or online?

For what it's worth- this may sound odd but I find shows to be fantastic places to pick up diorama pieces moreso than actual figures- go figure but a lot of people bring in unique or hand made pieces. Plus, scenic pieces are so big that the shipping charges can make really nice pieces somewhat prohibitive costwise when buying online. I also like to see nice, well done dioramas as it gives me ideas that I can use as well. For the most part, with EBay and all the online toy soldier vendors, you can generally get what you wantas far as figures go. Sure, you can find off the wall or unique figures as well but, as weird as it sounds, I think the gems of the shows are actually the scenics.

For what it's worth- this may sound odd but I find shows to be fantastic places to pick up diorama pieces moreso than actual figures- go figure but a lot of people bring in unique or hand made pieces.

The shows are also a great opportunity to see the figures in person if you don't have regular access to a shop. We are spoiled in the GB area with several soldier shops but that is the exception for most collectors. My opinion of a figure or vehicle is often different after seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back