Gods And Generals (1 Viewer)

I just got the DVD from Netflix. I'll watch it again to see if my opinions change from seeing it on the big screen and VHS a few years ago.

I just got the DVD from Netflix. I'll watch it again to see if my opinions change from seeing it on the big screen and VHS a few years ago.

I watched it via Netflix too afew weeks ago; watched the Bull Run scenes, fast forwarded to Fredericksburg, watched those scenes, fast forwarded to Chancellorsville, watched those scenes, then shut it off.

I watched it via Netflix too afew weeks ago; watched the Bull Run scenes, fast forwarded to Fredericksburg, watched those scenes, fast forwarded to Chancellorsville, watched those scenes, then shut it off.

DVD's are great...menu..favorite scene..menu...favorite scene...menu...favorite scene...can watch the whole movie in an hour.Michael

George

Absolutely concur! as your methodology is the only way to watch this particular movie and that's coming from a real ACW enthusiast :D

Reb

I'll tell you another thing I really liked about "God's and Generals"; Everyone has heard of Gen Jackson's strange quirks, harsh discipline and strong religous conviction. It is also said that he had a good sense of humour and Gen. Stuart and he were good friends. I have always struggled trying to figure out what sort of a man Jackson was. Although the movie didnt really get into his quirks and I'm sure Mr. Lang's portrayal wasn't completely accurate it helped me to come to a better understanding of the man himself.

George

Absolutely concur! as your methodology is the only way to watch this particular movie and that's coming from a real ACW enthusiast :D

Reb

I've watched Glory from beginning to end numerous times; same deal with Gettysburg. Gods and Generals just plain drags on and on at times sorry to say.

That said, the Fredericksburg battle is very, very well done, worth having just for that scene.............

Stephen Lang's portrayal is one of the bright spots of G&G.

I just watched the commentary which only covers a few sections of the film and was disappointed that Maxwell and the other gent spent most of the commentary trying to justify scenes that should have been self explanatory.

The Fredericksburg battles scenes were the best shot (except for the cheesy CGI shots) but the musical score was way off and too "schmaltzy." Great use of Harpers Ferry as Fredericksburg and use of the rocky cliffs in the upper town for some interesting shots. The pontoon bridge scenes are good as well. I talked to some reenactors involved and the pontoon bridge was scaled down, but hey, where else are you going to see a CW/WBTS scene like that. The bridge was built on still water and there is CGI "current" added to simulate the river's flow.

The Kilrain character, while a Sergeant, has too much "chat" to say to the officers. For a veteran of the Mexican War, his dress and the way he carries his rifle are too sloppy. Several times in the Fredericksburg scenes he appears to nearly injure others in ranks carrying his rifle w/bayonet in a too low port arms position which an NCO doesn't do in ranks or as a file closer.

Yes on Fredericksburg as I just commented above with some exceptions. It was the most visually interesting with use of the terrain and simulating the weather and time of day.

Nice to see some old reenacting friends in the ranks of the extras as well.

I'm adding the Chancellorsville battle was pretty good with one nice detail. Look at the long shadows. It was filmed to try to look like the time of day of Jackson's attack. Finally some music that fit the action as well. The shots with the Confederates coming out of the woods works for me.

What a waste of one good character actor, William Sanderson as A P Hill. If you've seen his work in TV and movies you'll recognize him from Deadwood and as early as Bladerunner and the Newhart Show as "Larry."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back