Got a call from Andy this morning . . . (1 Viewer)

Doesn't sound like you and the Mrs. are exactly on the same page :confused:

I refer everyone to my post summarizing Andy's talk at the March, 2006 West Coaster (posted 3/6/06), "If someone becomes interested in collecting toy soldiers because of K&C's (San Antonio) store, they could be informed of the nearest K&C dealer to their home. In the future, Andy thinks K&C San Antonio will become the central distribution point for the U.S. market, reducing the present shipping cost to dealers." Andy stated the primary purpose of the San Antonio store was to attract Alamo tourists who might not know about toy soldiers. If they come into the San Antonio store, they would be given a list of K&C dealers.:)

That seems reasonable at first glance. However I can't think of another company in the toy industry that has a distribution centre which sells direct to customers, under the necks of their dealers.

Their are also other concerns to me such as double handling and other extras including repacking materials, labor and interstate freight costs. Who pays for these?

I would be very nervous about this if I was a K & C dealer and would suggest the San Antonio outlet only be allowed to sell onsite.

... However I can't think of another company in the toy industry that has a distribution centre which sells direct to customers, under the necks of their dealers...
The brevity of my 3/6/06 summary is misleading. The San Antonio location is not a distribution center that sells direct to collectors. It is a retail store that sells direct to collectors. In the future, K&C may rent separate warehouse space in San Antonio and ship its products there for U.S. distribution. Part of this shipping cost would probably be passed on to U.S. dealers in the form of a lower dealer discount, with dealers paying for shipping from San Antonio. Currently, dealers pay for Fed Ex shipping from China or Hong Kong (FOB China for those of you familar with shipping). Shipping costs would be lower if K&C first shipped its products in ocean containers to San Antonio, then distributed them to U.S. dealers. If this can keep down costs, then K&C can absorb more of the steadily increasing labor and material costs. Of course, I do not speak for Andy or K&C, and this is based on my interpretation of Andy's talk and my understanding of some of the logistics involved.:)

Hi oz
I might be missing something here [it wouldnt be the first time]:)
But why would having a distribution centre in the US be
a disadvantage for US dealers.
The closer the product is, the faster you can get it when you need
to restock.
If all the pricing is the same across dealers,Why bother buying
from san antonio if you have a local dealer,who provides good
service.
Having a local wholesaler for re stocking would be an advantage
I would have thought.

I don't think it's the distribution that has the dealers concerned and I don't think it's the fact that King and Country is both a manufacturer and a dealer in United States, it's the fact that they now have a presence in the United States as a dealer with a web site. That's the cause for concern.

This seems like a non-issue for collectors unless you happen to live in the San Antonio area. There is absolutely no reason that I can see to order from the SA store over any other dealer. It all comes in the mail (albeit slowly). I think the key for survival is customer service of which my limited dealings directly with KC have been woeful. They are a much better manufacturer than dealer. So I don't see much impact on the American dealers in terms of sales.

I don't think it's the distribution that has the dealers concerned and I don't think it's the fact that King and Country is both a manufacturer and a dealer in United States, it's the fact that they now have a presence in the United States as a dealer with a web site. That's the cause for concern.

I disagree Brad, Shannon's post #7 does indeed suggest there is some dealer concern about the the San Antonio outlet selling K & C pieces direct to the public. And I can fully appreciate their concern. K & C dealers already have to adhere to a number of strict selling guidelines such as no discounting and no breaking up of sets for indiviual sales. It would seem fair that the manufacturer should also play by the rules.

The direct sales from Hong Kong was bad enough but excusable when they sold to areas not covered by a dealer network. There is very little buyer loyalty in these modern times and I'm sure the US dealers don't need to have to compete against their supplier for sales as well as eBay and other sellers.

The impact on their existing cutosmer base may not be much affected but consider the number of new customers initiated at the San Antonio HQ. Based on the devil you know principle I'm convinced the new customers will continue to buy from San Antonio even after they return home.

Sadly I can see a future where an increasing number of products are sold direct to the public. And it doesn't have to be small luxury goods like collectables. I'm sure most people would buy their vehicles direct from the manufacturer to save a few dollars. Imagine the impact on our economies via lost jobs etc when the current globalisation gets to that level - which it will in time. We are still at the thin end of the wedge at the moment. However we know it will happen, because the larger a company gets, the more likely it is to be profit driven.

Last edited:
It would be great if K&C would warehouse and distribute from the US.

Every single other vendor I deal with on the toy end of the spectrum does this - including Forces of Valor.

Remember all that a rising tide lifts all ships!

During his talk in Chicago Andy spoke of the possibility of advertising K&C more...mags + TV (History Channel) etc. If he does that who will benefit? I doubt customers will be directed to Kings X in these ads...Andy is smart enough not to cut off his nose to spite his face! Will dealers be forced to pay additional if he does this or will the cost of the ad's come from the "home office"? If the cost of this marketing plan is not "passed along" then Bam....free marketing for ALL dealers would result and who will be saying no to that? If Andy does do more marketing of the hobby everyone in the K&C universe will benefit...heck even the competition will since people who have not seen the hobby will and nothing will say that they have to collect only K&C so they will seek out local dealers in their area that can and will provide options for all income brackets.

If I was a dealer I be talking to Andy about joint marketing/distribution strategies in order to ride K&C's marketing coat tails! It's not Show Friends...it's Show Business! The key is getting more customers/collectors acorss the entire hobby....and then all ships will rise!

All my best,
Brian

P.S. I just noticed that King's X is NOT even on the list of dealers for the state of Texas under the dealer locator option on the main K&C website. They are listed under the "Contact Us" tab however. But if I was new to the hobby I'd look first under the dealer tab to find a place to buy and then be pointed to one of the many fine dealers that sells K&C.

Last edited:
KC appears to have their Oct. newsletter up w/pics of all the new BOB stuff etc. - including new strictly limited Sherman.

No WWII retirements this month.

Last edited:
Hi Y'all--
There is lots of talk here about Kings X and what this means to other US dealers. I think it would be helpful if I share my knowledge and perspective on the matter.

Andy and his business partner Laura were approached by the former owner last year to buy Kings X, which had been operating beside the Alamo for 20+ years. They saw the store as a jewel that needed to be preserved and run in the best professional manner possible. Instead of San Antonio losing the little shop altogether, it has been preserved for future history lovers to discover on their visits to the Alamo and the San Antonio Riverwalk. Buying Kings X allows it to continue introducing 3 million annual Alamo visitors to the toy soldier hobby for the first time, and to delight already devoted toy soldier collectors.

From day one, Andy and Laura have made it clear that the existing US dealers are their bread and butter, and their highest priority. Their hope is that Kings X will be able to continue operating another 20+ years and send tourists home to their own necks of the woods with a new interest in military miniatures and toy soldier collecting, just as it has for the past 20+ years.

Just my thoughts. Hope they are helpful!
:) Cheers to all y'all--
Kady Naumann
K&C Business Office
San Antonio

Hey - I ran across this thread and wondered what all the characters think about this as time has gone by. I live in Texas and have been to KingsX. I actually have bought more from Treefrog than KingsX, and more on Ebay than anywhere else. I support Treefrog, they are good people, provide superior service and give us this forum. I believe that what Andy said via Bexar Red is true. KingsX is in a city of over a million people and situated next to the ALAMO, which draws 3 million annually. It has great potential to bring in more collectors. Actually, Texas is a little light on Toy Soldier Shops and shows. The Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex has twice the population of the State of Nebraska, "GO BIG RED" and to my knowledge, no Soldier Shops. How are you going to introduce all those poor souls to Toy Soldier Collecting if they never see one?? Each of you can testify that there is no substitute for being able to see and touch a figure before buying, as picture images just don't convey the quality of the figures. Last time I was in KingsX, they were selling more than just K&C figures and the store was even out of stock on some of the K&C items. Hope this finds everyone happy, including Andy, as retail stores are probably riskier than manufacturing an established product.

Just a few observations. Not all collectors buy K and C exclusively so that means they will continue to support dealers who stock a broad range. The USA is quite a big place so a single shop in Texas cannot be the end of the world. It is like when I meet people overseas who say to me "So you are from Africa, Do you know so and so he lives in Nairobi."
The more bricks and mortar shops the better.
Not all toy soldier collectors live in the US let alone Texas.
Regards
Damian

Just a few observations. Not all collectors buy K and C exclusively so that means they will continue to support dealers who stock a broad range. The USA is quite a big place so a single shop in Texas cannot be the end of the world. It is like when I meet people overseas who say to me "So you are from Africa, Do you know so and so he lives in Nairobi."
The more bricks and mortar shops the better.
Not all toy soldier collectors live in the US let alone Texas.
Regards
Damian

Hear Hear on that one D.

"Oh you're from Scotland are you Heid? You must know wee Jimmy McFee from Paisley then".

:confused::confused: I wouldn't know wee Jimmy McFee from Paisley if I tripped over him.....:p:p:):)

Cheers
H

What is the potential downside for existing K&C dealers in the US? King's X gets exclusives that all other dealers can't get, K&C items will get shipped to King's X via shipping container and then to other US dealers, who will have to absorb shipping costs that King's X will not, new items will be delayed to other dealers while King's X will have plenty on hand for immediate delivery to eager gotta have it first buyers. I could go on but, you get the point, dealers have plenty to worry about. Maybe it won't happen, we'll just have to wait and see?

Gentle Friends,

I find this discussion to be very interesting. I think most dealers have little about which to be alarmed. I, for one, will continue to purchase my figures from those dealers with whom I have an existing relationship. "My dealers" have always given me the best of service and have extented very warm and personal friendship to me. I will remain loyal to them and I will continue to purchase from them. I have no doubt that Andy will do a brisk business in San Antonio, but I cannot believe that large numbers of collectors will abandon the dealers who have worked so hard to please them. I see no incentive for me to suddenly begin purchasing directly from Andy just because Andy owns a specific store.

I also want to add that, as I have said many times, I do not believe that King and Country is the "be all and end all" of toy soldiering. Andy only handles his own products and many of us collect other products besides his. In addition to K&C figures, I collect Britains, Beau Geste, William Hocker, Tedtoy, museum quality figures, Monarch Regalia, etc. I will continue to purchase these other products from "my dealers" and, while I am doing so, I will continue to purchase K&C products from them as well.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

PAT - RIGHT ON !
I have two Dealers of KNC that I purchase from - Tim Tyler of Troops of Time in Jacksonville, FL and Shannon and Pete @ Treefrog. Both are excellent. I would not change dealers under most circumstances. I actually get phone calls from my Dealer on a regular basis to tell me what's up or what's coming in from KNC. Tough to beat that IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back