Grass dio base?? (1 Viewer)

nigelhaywood123

Private 2
Hi Ken and Erika

another thread! following the formtech query.

I was looking through Mikes (mestell) amazing thread re Ken's visit to his home. Awesome stuff.
Open invite to mine also by the way, here in UK anytime. English tea and scones for tea??

The dio bases Mike commissioned look fantastic. stunning!
Particularly impressed with the tall grass. Well outstandingly impressed with it all, but for me the grass does stand out. (no doubt everyone has their own favorite elements)

Unlike most grass mats available, your presentation appears to be a longer 'field like' grass and much more 'flowing', and much more realistic than trying to create by using the static grasses available (what I would normally use).
I love creating my own dio's and for enjoyment I'm wanting to have a go at making a new dio base, and similarly trying to incorporate the longer grass effect you have very successfully mastered in Mikes bases.

Can you give me any advice how you created this? how to create this effect? What materials to use etc (other than buying a ready built mat)??

Any helpful advice is very kindly appreciated.
and keep up the amazing work
very many thanks
Nigel

Good morning Nigel. I was browsing the forum while drinking my tea and saw your post. Thought I should tell you that Ken and Ericka are still here in Wisconsin and will not be back home until sometime late Friday. They won't be available to answer your inquiry until after they get home. Also, thank you for the kind compliment on my diorama - you should see it in person. I am very, very pleased with it.
:) Mike

Good morning Nigel. I was browsing the forum while drinking my tea and saw your post. Thought I should tell you that Ken and Ericka are still here in Wisconsin and will not be back home until sometime late Friday. They won't be available to answer your inquiry until after they get home. Also, thank you for the kind compliment on my diorama - you should see it in person. I am very, very pleased with it.
:) Mike

Mike
I would be too. Is fantastic and would love to see in person, if ever??.
Yeah, he did a truly great job for you.
I think he's coming back to see you today/tomorrow, yes?

I also liked your other bits and pieces, dios at the back of your room. Be great to see some close ups of those too??
They looked terrific. Did you make those or was Ken involved there too?? You've got a great set-up.

When I'm making my own dios I always try and replicate the effects from Kens dios and the K&C dios also, mostly without real success.
Although I'm happy with, they just dont have that extra Ken factor about them.

I enjoy making the dios as much as I enjoy the collecting side of the hobby and after seeing your pics I quite fancied having a go at making up something similar with lots of wild grass, but without having to buy the wild grass mats. Everything from scratch.
Trying to replicate the effect in some form. Knowing what material to use etc. so thought I would ask Ken for any tips or advice.

Anyway, will keep watching your thread and awaiting your great updates and pics.
Hopefully Ken would get back to me on his return, meanwhile have a great time Mike
all the best
Nigel

Mikes dio bases are utilising the awesome H&A wild grass mats. Would have to say look absolutely without doubt the very best grass mats available.

I'm thinking must be some materials I can use to create this effect whilst still maintaining fully scratch built and without any completed parts.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back