Great Action Scenes (1 Viewer)

What was the name of the WWII movie where Nick Nolte becomes a "king" of a tribe of natives and fights the Japs?

What was the name of the WWII movie where Nick Nolte becomes a "king" of a tribe of natives and fights the Japs?

Farewell to the King, what a great movie. If I remember correctly the critics panned it, but I loved it. Nolte plays a great anti-hero. The King is still out there. He is on some island with a new wife and runs the place with compasion and care, at least I like to think so after seeing him wave good-bye in that great scene of the waves crashing on the rocks after he was freed from the ship's brig and swam to some unnamed shore with the sun setting in the background. Great images, great stuff.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Yeah that was a good movie! I thought Nolte did a good job. Boy there sure are some good movies mentioned here.

All the best

Dave

In the Longest Day, one of my favorite scenes is when Pluskat looks out for one last look at the sea and sees all those ships coming for him and mutters "Invazion, zie comen!" Also good is when he calls his c.o. and the c.o. tells him to relax and asks where are those ships going and he yells back "they're coming at me!" or something very similar.

Just got back from seeing 300. It's one huge action scene and it's hard to pick out any one bit, but i'll go for the opening battle where the Spartans demonstrate their phalanx to those pesky Persians. :)

Also cool is when Leonidas takes on that huge Immortal.

Great film anyway.

In the Longest Day, one of my favorite scenes is when Pluskat looks out for one last look at the sea and sees all those ships coming for him and mutters "Invazion, zie comen!" Also good is when he calls his c.o. and the c.o. tells him to relax and asks where are those ships going and he yells back "they're coming at me!" or something very similar.

My favourite bit in The Longest Day is towards the start too. when the Subtitles appaer on the screen, Orne River: British Glider Assault and you get the shot of the gliders swooping down.

I watch Tombstone at least twice a year. My favorite western. Get them cowboys running. Val Kilmer says "I will be your Huckleberry" when Ringo Challenges Kurt Russell. Leadmen

Also Val Kilmer has that great line "You'll be a daisy if you do!" :)

Just got back from seeing 300. It's one huge action scene and it's hard to pick out any one bit, but i'll go for the opening battle where the Spartans demonstrate their phalanx to those pesky Persians. :)

Also cool is when Leonidas takes on that huge Immortal.

Great film anyway.

300 looks a little fake to me!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: The film always has that dark look, like it's got too many special effects!!!!!!!! Still looks good though?!!! I might be going to see it tonight!!!!!!!!:D:D

I'm not sure if it's an "action scene" but the torture scene in 'The Marathon Man', when Dr Szell (Laurence Olivier) drills through Dustin Hoffman's teeth is more shocking than many battle scenes.

OK since someone else is mentioning Westerns. The final show down in Open Range. I have a home theater and that scene well it ROCKS!!

OK since someone else is mentioning Westerns. The final show down in Open Range. I have a home theater and that scene well it ROCKS!!

This has become my favorite all time western, beating out True Grit, Son of Morning Star, and High Noon.......Michael.......ok She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, Shane, Quigley Down Under, Outlaw Josie Wales, Lonesome Dove..I must have no life and too much movie time on my hands....

300 looks a little fake to me!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: The film always has that dark look, like it's got too many special effects!!!!!!!! Still looks good though?!!! I might be going to see it tonight!!!!!!!!:D:D

It's one of those Frank Miller things. Supposed to have that film noir look.

I'm not sure if it's an "action scene" but the torture scene in 'The Marathon Man', when Dr Szell (Laurence Olivier) drills through Dustin Hoffman's teeth is more shocking than many battle scenes.

"Is it safe yet?"

yep Alan Rickman is good as Hans Gruber in Die Hard too. In fact Die Hard is up there with the great action movies of all time.

Yipee ki ay.... :)

You have to admit, that Alan Rickman as the baddie, is a great actor....Michael

I agree that Alan Rickman plays a great badguy, but for my money, the single best movie villian of all time: Clancy Brown as "The Kurgan" in the original Highlander . . . easy to hate, but funny: "Nuns, no sense of humor".

I saw such an amazing movie last night on cable: "V for Vendetta". It is based on a graphic novel (which I now have to run out and read). The action, the plot, the special effects, the entire movie was just amazing. By far the best interpretation of a comic/graphic novel I have ever seen on film. And, if, like me, you have absolutely no confidence in any politicians, it is frighteningly topical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back