Gunn miniatures may 2016 figure release (1 Viewer)

Hi Al,
Thanks for the info on the early Air Force!:D:cool: Being more of an Artillery man, and not being focused on air warfare I would not have know all this good data.....some very famous aces!
Like I said later on and Jazzeum also mentioned, I prefer to call them the good luck symbol, which it was trully,and it still is as way back to the early centuries in Asia and early Europe....
Little Adolf gave it the sliding twist and a totally different meaning....too bad....

When young and living in India was the first time I came across the good luck symbol in many temples and was initially taken back..naturally had seen the symbol a bit slanted in my Commando and Victory books ....and at school on text books /films but never in a public space.....later on I was tought the ancient meaning of the good luck symbol .... and the twist it took in history.....:cool::cool::cool:

Guess that this exchange of comments that started on a reflection over a Freikorps has given me some additional information on the early flying birds too.......

Cheers

A_C

Hi Luiz,
I can't post pictures but I do know of several pilots that used the emblem as a personal good luck marking. Raoul Lufbery of the Lafayette Escadrille carried a red swastika in 3 positions on his Spad 7; both sides of the fuselage and on top of the fuselage, behind the cockpit. This was Spad # S1777, flown in late 1917. German Lt. Walter Gottsch carried a white swastika on both sides of the fuselage on his Fokker Triplane, serial #419/17, while flying with Jasta 19 in spring 1918. German Lt. Eberhard Mohnicke of Jasta 11 carried swastikas on both side of Fokker Triplane #155/17 in spring 1918. German Lt. Hermann Gilly of Jasta 40 carried a white swastika on both sides of the fuselage of his Fokker D-7 in fall of 1918. There are also several Albatros pilots that used swastikas on their aircraft; Hermann Kunz of Jasta 7, white swastikas on both sides of the fuselage; Paul Billick of Jasta 12, black swastika in a white square on both sides of the fuselage; Werner Voss of Jasta 2, white swastika in a green wreath on both sides of the fuselage; Lothar Wieland of Seefrontstaffel 1 carried large black swastikas outlined in white on both sides of Albatros #7327/17; an unidentified pilot of Jasta 27, white swastikas on both sides of the fuselage; also, Jasta 23 carried a black swastika on both sides of their Albatros fighters as a unit marking during the summer of 1917 but it was replaced in August of that year.
The swastika wasn't real widespread on aircraft in the German Air Force of WW1, but it wasn't uncommon, and it was mostly used as a personal marking of individual pilots, with the exception of the above mentioned Jasta 23 where it was used as a unit marking for a while. There are also photos of swatikas on other German aircraft such as Pflaz D-3 and the Siemens-Schuckerts. I have seen the swastika used on other allied aircraft besides the Lufbery example, but haven't found the pictures yet. At any rate, there are plenty of photos of swastikas in use on aircraft in WW1. -- Al

Some interesting new releases here- I'll be getting those freikorps. I also wondered about the swastika helmet - apparently this one is in the German History museum, Berlin.
freikorpshelmet.jpg

....I am very taken by the look of the new Freikorps figues....they make a pleasing alternative to the existing LAH / Berlin '38 ranges....as part of the early inter-war period....

...I do wonder if the figures are supposed to be representative of a particular Freikorps unit ? .....or is the sleeve diamond patch meant to be a generic impression of what was worn.....I'm fine with that.....but it appears that the sleeve diamond on the Flag Bearer is round the opposite way from the two sentry figures...any chance this can be corrected ?

...the use of the swastika on the helmet is suggestive of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt, for which there are numerous images online showing its use....one of the more well known units that took part in the Kapp Putsch of 1920...

...there is also the potential for an armoured car (Ehrhardt ?) and various other home-made looking vehicles carrying machine guns....either emblazoned with the swastika or skull & bones....

...it is great to see TG picking something slightly unusual....

....I am very taken by the look of the new Freikorps figues....they make a pleasing alternative to the existing LAH / Berlin '38 ranges....as part of the early inter-war period....

...I do wonder if the figures are supposed to be representative of a particular Freikorps unit ? .....or is the sleeve diamond patch meant to be a generic impression of what was worn.....I'm fine with that.....but it appears that the sleeve diamond on the Flag Bearer is round the opposite way from the two sentry figures...any chance this can be corrected ?

...the use of the swastika on the helmet is suggestive of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt, for which there are numerous images online showing its use....one of the more well known units that took part in the Kapp Putsch of 1920...

...there is also the potential for an armoured car (Ehrhardt ?) and various other home-made looking vehicles carrying machine guns....either emblazoned with the swastika or skull & bones....

...it is great to see TG picking something slightly unusual....

Well spotted on the decals, yes they will all be same way round as these were pre production photos.
Best wishes Vicki

Well spotted on the decals, yes they will all be same way round as these were pre production photos.
Best wishes Vicki

...excellent, good to know !

...so, are these 3x Freikorps figures to test the waters...is there a definite plan to go somewhere with a new range ....or simply a small add-on to the existing WW1 range?

just great figures and look forward to receiving them. Any likelihood of vehicles for the period?

Those Romans look well detailed for a fair price...IMO. WWI Germans look Good as well !

Wayne

These figures look really good, has Thomas Gunn ever thought of doing ACW? Would be interesting. Chris

These figures look really good, has Thomas Gunn ever thought of doing ACW? Would be interesting. Chris

Probably not Chris, too may others making this range at the moment so do not think we can offer anything.

Vicki, too bad, even though there are other TS soldier companies in the ACW space, there are a number of areas they do not touch that may fit with TG's low production numbers (less than 100) such as western theater, navy, in the field camp life, sutlers, sanitary commission, civilians and so on. I really like the TGM figures. Hope springs eternal. Appreciate the quick response. Chris

...received the 3x Freikorps figures today....

...wonderful sculpting and attention to detail.....I can imagine them posed in a street scene diorama....

...I would really like to know what the plan is regarding any expansion of this range...are we likely to see 'named' figures....or maybe a machine-gun group......there's some amazing 1920's photographs online featuring Freikorps wearing swastika-adorned helmets, manning a machine gun....

...or perhaps an armoured car?

....these are outside of my usual collecting interest, but due to the unique nature of the theme, I find them very pleasing...well done TG !

Bought some Freikorps @ the MFCA show.. Not bad, though I wish TGM would follow the non-bulky figure style of FL..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back