HA2075 Snake Rail Fence (2 Viewers)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
Here are a couiple of photos of my use of the new Hudson & Allen HA2075 Snake Rail Fence sections. I am currently in the process of making a 52" long fence line along one side of the road that's on my 4'x8' diorama table. I am waiting on 2 more sections of the fence and some extra fence rails from Ken & Erica in order to finish the project. When its done, it will be a nice scenic addition to my display. I have also posted two photos of actual snake rail fences that can be found at Gettysburg today . . . . as you can see, the H&A snake rail fence looks very much like the "real deal" . . . .
:smile2: Mike

PICT0001-8_zps024aebbb.jpg

PICT0002-3_zpse3105ff3.jpg

4467708662_c1081a6d48_b.jpg

GBurgCleanup2004_2-30pa_1.jpg

I have several of these in my collection as well. They are simply the best available. What are you planning to use for the picket fence ?

Very nice Mike.

The last photo is very lifelike ^&grin

Ericka and I have already patterned 19th century picket fencing and have all the parts on hand here, but with the feverish deadlines for the next batch of ACW figures we haven't had a chance to put enough together and finish for sale.

We will try to get to them in the next couple of weeks and post some pictures. We knew they would be a great addition to the small houses offered to date (and the next couple we are working on here).
Thanks,
Ken

When I came to the U.S. 12 months ago I purchased a snake rail fence direct from Hudson & Allen. I am more than happy with the product which I carried back by hand on my return flight. I know they have produced a new version, which if I purchased, would it look odd near the older set. The stone wall part looks a lot less in height?

Nigel

Where did you get the Confederate officer on the horse?!?!

Ken beat me to the response . . . . what he didn't explain is that he made several Confederate and Union conversions for a silent auction that benefited the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum in their efforts to restore a Wisconsin regimental Civil War flag. I was the lucky bidder on the mounted Confederate infantry officer and it has become on of my absolute favorite pieces.

Here are a couiple of photos of my use of the new Hudson & Allen HA2075 Snake Rail Fence sections. I am currently in the process of making a 52" long fence line along one side of the road that's on my 4'x8' diorama table. I am waiting on 2 more sections of the fence and some extra fence rails from Ken & Erica in order to finish the project. When its done, it will be a nice scenic addition to my display. I have also posted two photos of actual snake rail fences that can be found at Gettysburg today . . . . as you can see, the H&A snake rail fence looks very much like the "real deal" . . . .

PICT0001-8_zps024aebbb.jpg

PICT0002-3_zpse3105ff3.jpg

View attachment 122949

View attachment 122950

Hello Chris,
I like your staging! Great job and pics!
Thanks
Cheers
Xavier

Hello Chris,
I like your staging! Great job and pics!
Thanks
Cheers
Xavier

Thank you very much for the compliment Xavier . . . . LOL - I'll let Chris :tongue::wink2: know you liked it . . . .

I have also posted two photos of actual snake rail fences that can be found at Gettysburg today . . . . as you can see, the H&A snake rail fence looks very much like the "real deal" . . . .

Mike,

Just a few thoughts here; First, your diorama looks great. While I know that Mr. Osen is dedicated to historical accuracy in all his products, I have wondered what particular example he used to model this fence. I'm no expert on 19th Century agriculture or architecture, but I have seen a lot of rebuilt CW era fences at NPS sites/historic farms over the years and looked at the period photos, drawings, descriptions, HABS, etc . I have never seen a CW era snake-rail fence built with a rock wall piled underneath. This would be an unnecessary amount of hard labor to build it this way.

The fences being repaired in the photos are not snake-rail fences but are called "stone and rider" fences. George R. Stewart described these fences on Cemetery Ridge in his book Pickett's Charge: " the walls, here, were low - two feet; three, at the most. In fact, many of them would not restrain a cow, and so they had been heightened by having a rail fence stradddled over them, the result was very practical - the wall pig tight, the fence, cow high."

The rock fences at Gettysburg are generally built on a straight line at the field boundary - it doesn't "snake." There is no need to angle them every 11-12 feet for the supports and the two rails, or "riders". The supports and riders follow the straight line of the rock wall and the two rails are high enough to do the job...which is the way they are usually recreated at Gettysburg today.

The snake-rail fence was common in 19th Century America, especially where the farmland did not provide an abundance of rocks to build walls. The usual snake-rail fence is angled, (or zig-zag) in order to stack the rails. Once the rails are cut/split, it is relatively easy to build the fence. There is usually a flat rock at each angle keeping the bottom rail off the ground. The "x" support and rider both anchor the fence rails and add height.

I'm sure Mr. Osen has based this fence on a period example, but it would seem to be an uncommon type.

Oddball

Users who are viewing this thread

Back