Hailing all collectors of Palmetto Miniatures (Captains and Cavalry)! (3 Viewers)

MikeNick

Sergeant
Hi.
I am starting a thread to gather a list, with photos, of all the Palmetto Miniature (Captains and Cavalry). Please include your sets with photos.
Thanks,
MikeNick

On your other thread, I had mentioned that Captains and Cavalry is the same manufacturer as Palmetto, the only difference being that the former is boxed whitle the later is unboxed. I just won the WWII French Fortress Troops on eBay, but haven't received them yet. The second set you attached are probably WWI French Colonial Infantry in khaki with Adrian helmets. The Greek Evzones set is from Palmetto and was put into the non-standard green box either by a collector or a dealer. I mentioned that I had seen Palmettos for sale in those green boxes at the Chicago Show years ago. Finally, I had the WWII Finnish Ski Troops set at one time, but subsequently sold it.

I forgot to mention, as I said on your other thread, that the Michigan Toy Soldier Company carried an extensive line of Captains and Cavalry in the past. They dropped the line a year or two ago. Periodically, I have noticed soldiers for sale on eBay that were said to be made by J.T. Meyers. I really had no idea who he was, but I now believe that he could be Captains and Cavalry/Palmetto's originator. When I googled that name I got a Facebook listing of a very attractive female, who I suspect is not the same J.T Meyers, but we seem to have the same political views.

It is my distinct impression that their main focus was on World War I and World War II. They made many unusual, rarely made sets from these conflicts like my WWII French Fortress Troops, WWII Polish Mountain Infantry, or WWII Slovakian Infantry. But just when I thought I had figured them out, I found this photo of Imperial Prussian Infantry.

Attachments

• cc1[1].jpg
    cc1[1].jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 436
Here are three more partial sets: WWII Soviet Infantry, German SS, and French Moroccan Infantry. The sets normally come with seven figures including an officer, flag bearer, an NCO, and four men

Attachments

• cc2[1].jpg
    cc2[1].jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 427
  • cc4[1].jpg
    cc4[1].jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 342
  • cc3[1].jpg
    cc3[1].jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 353
Here is an unboxed set I have of Palmetto's Prussian Infantry.

Attachments

• Palmetto Prussians.jpg
    Palmetto Prussians.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 299
Here are a couple of photos of the Captains & Cavalry set of FRENCH FORTRESS TROOPS, 1940 that I won on eBay for $51.

Attachments

• 100_1845.JPG
    100_1845.JPG
    394 KB · Views: 286
  • 100_1846.JPG
    100_1846.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 300
Nice. Seeing them this close makes me wish that I had not given up on outbidding you for them.
MikeNick

Here is a list of some Captains & Calvary sets that were on eBay a few years ago:

Japanese Marines, 1942 (could be the set you have a photo of earlier)

Japanese Navy, 1941

Slovakian Infantry, 1940 (I have ordered this set on my new Hiriart order, but 1941)

French Infantry, 1940 (I wonder if these are not the same as the Fortress Troops above)

German Womans Luftwaffe

German Infantry, 1940

Polish Infantry, 1940 (I ordered & received this set from Hiriart last year, but 1939)

Polish Mountain Infantry, 1941 ( I really would like to see this set)

Russian Infantry, 1941 (I believe the earlier photo shows 2 figures from this set)

Russian Navy, 1943 (I would also like to see this set)

German Navy

Does anyone have any others?

Hi.

At the OTS Auctions website there are some lots specifically devoted to Palmetto Miniatures/Captains and Cavalry. They are lots 1401-1404.

Good hunting.
MikeNick

Two of the Captains & Cavalry sets offered by OTS Auctions were JAPANESE INFANTRY, 1942 in soft caps and JAPANESE MARINES, 1942 in helmets. They incorrectly included the marine flag bearer with the infantry set which had its own flag bearer.

Attachments

• Japanese Infantry (1).jpg
    Japanese Infantry (1).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Polish Mountain Infantry 1939 (1).jpg
    Polish Mountain Infantry 1939 (1).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 316
Again, from the OTS Auction, here is the Captains and Cavalry set of Polish Mountain Infantry, 1939.

Attachments

• Polish Mountain Infantry 1939 (1).jpg
    Polish Mountain Infantry 1939 (1).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 275
My mistake, that's obviously not them. Here they are.

Attachments

• Polish Mountain  Infantry, 1939.jpg
    Polish Mountain Infantry, 1939.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 266
The other OTS Auctions Captains & Cavalry set was SOVIET INFANTRY, 1942.

Attachments

• Soviet Infantry, 1942.jpg
    Soviet Infantry, 1942.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 239
I recently picked up this set on eBay. It was advertised as being made by J.T. Meyers. They are clearly Palmetto, so Mr. Meyers must be the man behind this line of soldiers. These were not boxed, but I belive they are Chinese Communists from the Chinese Civil War.

Attachments

• Chinese Communists (1).JPG
    Chinese Communists (1).JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Chinese Communists (2).JPG
    Chinese Communists (2).JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 210
I have a set of WWI Germans marching in overcoats with flag bearer and officer.

Ludwig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back