Hancocks Beer Dray (2 Viewers)

Looking very good JB.

Thank again Brad - for your superb pics of "the real thing" (well - almost), but you know what I mean.:D I do wish, in retrospect, I had tackled this little project before Len, very sadly, passed away. I would have loved to know what he thought of my little effort. And, after making mine - I do take my hat off to Len - for his workmanship and artistry of the Trophy version - which I used as my guide - thanks to your generosity in showing.

In reality, Len's version of the horses is probably more realistic than mine - as I DO remember that the REAL Hancocks Brewery pair of horses were more White than grey - but mine are the way they are from my old memory of a pair seen at a show. I was a kid at the time - in old Cardiff - but as I said, they were a very common sight delivering beer around the City Centre around the 1950's - and I remember them well - still.

At one time there were many more pubs there - than now - thanks to various factors - including punitive levels of taxation on traditional beers by various Governments over time - and the rise of cheap canned beers from supermarkets. It's a sad fact of life, that you can probably drink a similar glass of beer at home nowadays, for around a third of the price of the same stuff in a pub!

Thanks again - much appreciated - jb

Atlas and Hercules look spiffy JB. I remember as a kid running to the end of my Nans street to watch the Tetleys dray, giant white shire horses. What a sight!!

They might indeed have been "Tetley's beer" greys, Scott. There are a few pics on Google showing a pair of dapple-greys. Oh well, a bit of artistic license then - as I did want to portray them a little differently to Len's trophy version.

Glad you approve, anyhoo!:D jb

Still hope to connect up some of the bits later on today - but a dampish and cool afternoon, means that my paint is going off less quickly than normal, today. Look in later ?? jb

I must emphasize that my Hancock's Dray is far from finished yet - but am so pleased with it so far........I just couldn't resist connecting it all up together - to see how it is coming along. This should therefore be seen as my "first pass" - and it all seems to be working out to plan (cross-fingers). I still have to paint beer barrels, and my couple more figures which will accompany my version ( Driver's drayman mate - who will be handling the beer barrel ladder/shute - and my Great-Grandfather - who will be making a new shoe for one of my pair of dapple-greys.).

BUT - the main thing is well on it's way to being completed - and Grandad-Arthur seems to be quite laid back about it all!!

Here's an update - so far. jb

Daaayyyyyyyyyymmmmmmmmmmmm, as they say down South! Great progress, John. If you hadn't said you weren't finished, I couldn't tell that it's not. It's a beautiful piece.

Prost!
Brad

Daaayyyyyyyyyymmmmmmmmmmmm, as they say down South! Great progress, John. If you hadn't said you weren't finished, I couldn't tell that it's not. It's a beautiful piece.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks Brad - what I meant is that it's probably about 90% there - as I haven't finished the barrels, Driver's mate with ladder/shute and my Great-grandfather - the Blacksmith off yet. It's always the little details that take up lottsa time at the end.

I think that the main building up of the dray and horses are just about there now - so to all intents - that part is complete, thanks in no small way to the other Brad for his fabulous pics ( for a builder/painter, that is). It's not often you get ALL of the elevations that you want - even when you buy a kit ( which this one wasn't - as it isn't available - and never was, as a kit).

Glad you like it - it fulfils a little ambition of mine.:salute:: jb

I think it looks fabulous Johnny. You did a heck of a job.

Brad

Well - here goes with my completed set. This is my Hancocks Brewery Dray - around the turn of the Century as it would have looked at about 1910. I decided to let my Grandad ( who is in the driving seat) have an assistant - who is handling the ladder/shute which was carried on the dray, to help off-load full barrels - and reload the empties from the pubs around Cardiff that they served.

I've also included my Great-grandfather - who was a Blacksmith in Cardiff at this time. His premises were in Albert Street Lane in Cardiff - in the Canton area - and within a half-mile of the City Centre and Brewery - so it's not beyond reason to think that he COULD have been involved with re-shoeing Hancocks several Drays - due to the close proximity of his shop.

My Dray was made up using two modified Britains Farm horses - and the wagon itself scratch built from some parts supplied by Dorset Soldiers ( wheels and some undercart parts plus barrels and shute) The driver, ( my Grand-father) is also a Dorset original figure. The cart was made to look very similar to the wonderful Trophy model, made by the late Len. I'm grateful to Brad (jazzeum) for his kindness in supplyin me with excellent pictures as a guide.

The driver's mate was a damaged britains figure "Man with wheelbarrow", who had lost his base and feet ( and wheelbarrow!) - but repaired, and used for this set. He is seen lifting the ladder to the rear of the cart - where the heavy barrels of beer would be lowered down by rolling down the shute, their descent contolled by ropes to the ground - or again by shute to a pub celler. This would be a two-man job, if you've never seen it.

The Blacksmith (Britains), my Great-grandfather and father of my driver - was found without arms - but repaired with Dorset spare parts. His anvil is a Johillco item. All repaired pieces were cleaned off and repaired and repainted - as necessary - in Glossy style.

I do also have a repaired Britains cartier ( who would walk alongside farm-carts with a whip and lead animal drawn carts) who MAY make an appearance at some point - but rarely would he accompany a seated driver. I'll see how he looks when completed.

Hope you enjoy them - some pics below - Have a happy and Peaceful Easter - wherever you may be - jb:salute::

Fine work, John! Now pour yourself a Hancock's, for a job well done!

Prost!
Brad

Well - here goes with my completed set. This is my Hancocks Brewery Dray - around the turn of the Century as it would have looked at about 1910. I decided to let my Grandad ( who is in the driving seat) have an assistant - who is handling the ladder/shute which was carried on the dray, to help off-load full barrels - and reload the empties from the pubs around Cardiff that they served.

I've also included my Great-grandfather - who was a Blacksmith in Cardiff at this time. His premises were in Albert Street Lane in Cardiff - in the Canton area - and within a half-mile of the City Centre and Brewery - so it's not beyond reason to think that he COULD have been involved with re-shoeing Hancocks several Drays - due to the close proximity of his shop.

My Dray was made up using two modified Britains Farm horses - and the wagon itself scratch built from some parts supplied by Dorset Soldiers ( wheels and some undercart parts plus barrels and shute) The driver, ( my Grand-father) is also a Dorset original figure. The cart was made to look very similar to the wonderful Trophy model, made by the late Len. I'm grateful to Brad (jazzeum) for his kindness in supplyin me with excellent pictures as a guide.

The driver's mate was a damaged britains figure "Man with wheelbarrow", who had lost his base and feet ( and wheelbarrow!) - but repaired, and used for this set. He is seen lifting the ladder to the rear of the cart - where the heavy barrels of beer would be lowered down by rolling down the shute, their descent contolled by ropes to the ground - or again by shute to a pub celler. This would be a two-man job, if you've never seen it.

The Blacksmith (Britains), my Great-grandfather and father of my driver - was found without arms - but repaired with Dorset spare parts. His anvil is a Johillco item. All repaired pieces were cleaned off and repaired and repainted - as necessary - in Glossy style.

I do also have a repaired Britains cartier ( who would walk alongside farm-carts with a whip and lead animal drawn carts) who MAY make an appearance at some point - but rarely would he accompany a seated driver. I'll see how he looks when completed.

Hope you enjoy them - some pics below - Have a happy and Peaceful Easter - wherever you may be - jb:salute::

Very nice JB... if you like beer... which i do!... by the way you guys still drinking warm beer across the pond?
Ray

Very nice JB... if you like beer... which i do!... by the way you guys still drinking warm beer across the pond?
Ray

No, never warm - but at room temperature. The real deal has taste, you see. Lots of the best stuff is made from water, malted barley and a dash of yeast - and there's not a test-tube in sight.

I believe that frequently the so-called "beers" drunk in other parts of the World, owe more to a Chemist in a white coat, than to a brewer of proper ale.

I also believe there is some pale looking stuff on sale over here now called "Lager" ( or some such name) - which is served up chilled and is drunk by spotty pale-faced youths generally. Drinking it will eventually lead to insanity, of course.{eek3}

Real Ale - is a different beast altogether - and is best drunk at room temperature - where the taste can develop in a glass ( NEVER straight from the bottle - or even a can - which I believe is also a bit of a fad in foreign parts!) - Ugh!!

Our nectar has names which roll straight off the tongue. Brains SA, Hancocks Home Brew, Bishops Finger, Old Peculiar - to name but a few that I'm partial to a glass of, now and again.

Note - there's not a "lite" in sight.

Cheers Ray, glad you like my second Old Cardiff Brewer's dray - I'll raise a glass ( at room temperature) to you tonight ( or should that be "tonite"?) :rolleyes: jb

Any beer that goes by the name of Old Peculiar has to be worth trying.

Excellent job on an excellent set, I really like the accessories and additions. Really neat little vignette and very interesting that it includes "family"! Nice job!
Tom

No, never warm - but at room temperature. The real deal has taste, you see. Lots of the best stuff is made from water, malted barley and a dash of yeast - and there's not a test-tube in sight.

I believe that frequently the so-called "beers" drunk in other parts of the World, owe more to a Chemist in a white coat, than to a brewer of proper ale.

I also believe there is some pale looking stuff on sale over here now called "Lager" ( or some such name) - which is served up chilled and is drunk by spotty pale-faced youths generally. Drinking it will eventually lead to insanity, of course.{eek3}

Real Ale - is a different beast altogether - and is best drunk at room temperature - where the taste can develop in a glass ( NEVER straight from the bottle - or even a can - which I believe is also a bit of a fad in foreign parts!) - Ugh!!

Our nectar has names which roll straight off the tongue. Brains SA, Hancocks Home Brew, Bishops Finger, Old Peculiar - to name but a few that I'm partial to a glass of, now and again.

The temperature at which you drink a beer or ale has to do with the temperature at which it fermented, generally. English ales are typically fermented at warmer temperatures--room temperature or a little cooler. That's the optimal temperature for the yeasts used to produce that style. By contrast, lager beers, such as German lagers, and American lagers, use yeast that works better at lower temperatures. And, as the name suggests, the young beer is lagered, that is, stored, at cellar temperatures, for several weeks, to allow the beer to age. In the days before refrigeration, this was done in caves, either natural, or excavated at the brewing site. Now, what does this all have to do with drinking the beer? Well, you'll get the optimum carbonation and head on the glass of beer, if it's served at the temperature at which it fermented, whether the style of beer is still, with relatively little carbonation, like a classic English ale, or a Pilsner (which is a lager beer), which should be well-carbonated and have a good head on it.

"It's chemistry", as Walter White said.

Prost!
Brad

And a PS--whatever you may think of lagers, if you won't pee in my beer, I won't pee in yours. Just because some international brewing combine is using the term for marketing purposes, doesn't mean it's bad beer. I'm not a fan of English ales and other styles, which tend to be too bitter for my tastes. And forget about Belgian beers--fegh! But suum quique, as the Prussians used to say.

Last edited:
The temperature at which you drink a beer or ale has to do with the temperature at which it fermented, generally. English ales are typically fermented at warmer temperatures--room temperature or a little cooler. That's the optimal temperature for the yeasts used to produce that style. By contrast, lager beers, such as German lagers, and American lagers, use yeast that works better at lower temperatures. And, as the name suggests, the young beer is lagered, that is, stored, at cellar temperatures, for several weeks, to allow the beer to age. In the days before refrigeration, this was done in caves, either natural, or excavated at the brewing site. Now, what does this all have to do with drinking the beer? Well, you'll get the optimum carbonation and head on the glass of beer, if it's served at the temperature at which it fermented, whether the style of beer is still, with relatively little carbonation, like a classic English ale, or a Pilsner (which is a lager beer), which should be well-carbonated and have a good head on it.

"It's chemistry", as Walter White said.

Prost!
Brad

And a PS--whatever you may think of lagers, if you won't pee in my beer, I won't pee in yours. Just because some international brewing combine is using the term for marketing purposes, doesn't mean it's bad beer. I'm not a fan of English ales and other styles, which tend to be too bitter for my tastes. And forget about Belgian beers--fegh! But suum quique, as the Prussians used to say.

Hi Brad - I'm on about the "British" versions of Lager beers - which in my opinion, leave a lot to be desired, tastewise. They seem to rely on cooling it down to levels where taste really disappears - and then hoping you get it down your neck - before it warms up and you can "taste" it - YUK! not for me I'm afraid.

Now, when I'm in Germany - that's another thing altogether. When I was in the Army - I had a dramatic conversion to "real" local beers - and loved them. My favourite was Lownbrau Munchen.

What I think I'm saying is - you grow up with the beers around you - and it seems to shape your taste for the rest of your life. I'm a big fan of local British beers - and always will be. My favourite beer is Brains SA. Now, Brains is STILL in business, and brewed in my home-town of Cardiff.

Doesn't mean that I don't like anything else - it's just my favourite - as I grew up drinking it. Hancocks Home Brew was also very nice indeed (both bitters, by the way - which I do like).

Incidentally - around 100 years ago - British beers were usually quite cloudy - as they relied on top-fermenting yeasts. Beer was usually served in tankards of pewter or leather - so you couldn't actually see it. Cheap factory made glassware began to become more the norm around the turn of the century - and customers began to actually see the stuff they were drinking - and clearer beers became more popular. This led to a change in brewing practice - and brewers began to use bottom-fermenting yeasts instead ( as in Germany).

Nowadays in the UK - so-called "Craft Beers" are becoming quite popular. Theses are beers produced by both large concerns and "mini-breweries", who produce beers for special occasions - and are "tailored" to events. Christmas Ales - or even for specific Sports Tournaments are being produced - and many are very nice indeed.

I'll just say this - I tried Bud lite once!!!!!! Yuk! That's Beer????{eek3}{sm4}jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back