Have any forum members served in the military? (1 Viewer)

Hi Bernard,

Is that an FV 214 Conqueror? I personally havent seen one before aside from photos but it looks like one too me especially the main gun looking like an 120mm. It had a short life span of 1950 to 1966 they only made about 200 of them and was used by the UK until they fielded the Chieftain.

Have a great day guys

Dave

USAF Pilot, 70-75, qualified for fighters and I can tell you the T-38 is one hot little bird. It was also a gas to fly an F4 for a few flights. I spent most of my time flying tankers; one tour flying out of Thailand passing gas to RF and F4s, the rest living Dr. Strangelove. On one ironic side note, a long time later friend of mine was there on the Cambodian border as a conscripted electrical engineer servicing the border SAMs, of which there were quite a few. He said they were woefully without spare parts and few of them worked; would have been nice to know at the time.

Certainly was an interesting time to be in. We were in Thailand at the time of the Yom Kippur (Ramadan) War and after the first day it looked like we were going to be on our way. That could have gotten ugly.

Served in the U.S. Army 77-80, as a medic, Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Served in the U.S. Airforce 86-90, as a medical officer at Davis Monthan AFB Arizona and Yokota AB Japan. My older brother did two tours in Nam with the Army 69-71. My wonderful late uncle Frank, served in the Army during WW-2, fighting in the Asian theater of operations going from island to island, from 41-45. He was my military hero, and I miss him very much. My late father in law fought in the battle Of the bulge. He went to med school on the GI Bill, and became a family physician. I wish he was alive, because I would present him my Honour Bound winter sherman, which he would have loved.

Retired from US Navy March 1976. Served 24 years 4 months with only 3 days on a ship. I have flown in an Airship (Blimp) and a helium balloon in the early 50’s while stationed at NAS Glynco, Brunswick, GA.

Yo Trooper I see you know your Tanks, but it was an awesome machine, its says on one of the Tanks sites somewhere Wilkipi whatever, that there were 9 to a regiment,that wasn't the case with the QOH in Germany we had four one for each Squadron, and when the Centurions were lined up firing the conqueror was always away from us firing on its own.
Bernard.

I was a lowley Air guard in the early 80's and also a year in the Army Guard.

My Father was 18 and got a year long deferment in 1943. He and My grandfather, actually all the family worked in Vanport WA building ships.1944, He had to go. Was in Seattle getting ready to board a vessal and head for the Pacific when the bombs were dropped. Was deployed in Korea until 1948 guarding warehouses full of food. Less than 2 years after he got home the North invaded.
I've heard him say several times, If he hadnt got that year long reprieve in 1943 , he was certain he would have been in Europe in 1944 and never came home from the Ardennes.Maybe , maybe not but he feels it in his gut to this day.
He's 83 this May 1st.

FUB

Having just recently celebrated the 90th Anniversary of the end of the Great War, I thought this thread deserved another bump.

Very interesting reading I must say.

Cheers Pete.

86-91 ROTC Buttered and immediately RIFed to 1st Bat, 109th Inf PANG followed by multi-unit deploy for Desert Shield /Desert Storm. Got out and spent 6 monthes at Chuck Harris' old NAS GLYNCO now FLETC.
Mike

Wireless operator Royal Air Force 1957-60 then 9 years on the reserve. Served in Germany and Cyprus. Didn't like Cyprus... they were using ball ammunition!
Father served in France 1916/18, Norfolk Regiment and Royal Fusiliers. Home Guard in WW2.
Brother served in Italy WW2 gunner/driver Queen's Bays.
Sister served in Land Army.

U S army,1964-67,res until 70, Ft Knox ky,cadre -Armor center, Vietnam 2bn18th inf,1st inf div, cadre recruit reception center ft Bliss tx.

I've just joined the Irish Army Reserve - serving in a field artillery regiment. It's very early days yet, but I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

Lots of square bashing and foot drill, which can definitely get repetitive, but I certainly appreciate the practical logic behind it. The basic format is quite similar to the TA in the UK, or the Army National Guard in the US, with one evening’s training at barracks per week, accompanied by semi-regular weekend long training periods.

Still not in any way sure if it’s something I’d like to do professionally as a career after college - but I decided that for the short term at least, considering I spend almost all of my leisure time and resources engaged in studying and appreciating military history, I might as well do something practical about my hobby and try and get some limited experience of military life.

Cheers,

Molloy.

Retired US Navy Reserve Officer. Served 5 years as a JAG on active duty, including 2 on a carrier, then switched to Intelligence in the Reserves. Also worked for the US Army as a civilian for 12 years.

My father was a communications sergeant in the Recon Company, First Marine Division, in Korea -- a Chosin Reservoir Marine. My Grandmother's Brother was a Marine officer on Pelileu and Okinawa. My mother's cousin died on the Arizona. Another of her cousins was at Bastogne.

And I had 3 great great grandfathers who fought for the Confederacy; one how fell at Lookout Mountain. Another fought at Vicksburg, and the third was in a Texas Cavalry Regiment.

And I probably had ancestors on both sides of the line at Culloden.

I've just joined the Irish Army Reserve - serving in a field artillery regiment. It's very early days yet, but I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

Peter- CONGRATULATIONS!! I for one am VERY proud of this decision you have made in your life. I am sure you are finding that things are a lot different than what you may have read about in books- unless you enjoy boring army tech and field manuals :D

My two cents:

1.) Duck first, shoot second- NEVER perform this simple rule in opposite direction unless you are a second Lieutenant or have a death wish :D

2.) Have a firm understanding of land navigation- do not rely on technical gimics like GPS systems and the like- yeah, they can tell you where you are but experience teaches you what effect the terrain has on unit operataions. Also- GPS systems are generally made by the lowest responsible bidder on a government contract so they are likely going to go out when you least need them to. Know that compass and carry a very reliable spare. Also as a benefit to the troopers you are covering for (ie artillery)- learn how to read a map as well

3.) Make your weapon your best friend. When I was with the 1-506 we field stripped M-16's, pistols, crew served weapons, etc- day, night, after PT, in the snow, rain, freezing hail,etc- learn how to properly maintain your rifle- SPORTS (Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap Squeeze)- one of the most functional Army acronyms out there (for clearing a jammed round in an M16). Lastly, keep your weapon CLEAN!!

4.) Maintain sound physical conditioning- it's key to being able to make decisions under stress and may save your life. Eliminate crutches like chocolate, cookies, caffeine (but not a pint of Guinesses :D)

5.) Listen to your Noncoms- be a sponge and soak in everything.

6.) Don't frown upon the military as a career choice- I have seen pictures of you and you insist that you are 20 somehting though you like 15 :p. Do your 20 years (or whatever Irish troopers need to do to meet retirement)- it will pass before you know it and you are still in your early 40's when you can retire. Having that military background is helpful. Plus, the military will probably pay for grad school and the like.

7.) Yeah, the Drill n Ceremony is pretty dull. It has it's merits though- learning discipline and how to operate as a cohesive unit and on commands. I see it like this- you can spend tons of money to go through college and let countless professors instruct you on abstract concepts you will probably never use again in the professional world- at least the government is kind enough to pay you while you learn boring things like Drill n ceremony (DnC). :)

8) Lastly- there are no such things as grid squares- if somebody asks you to go "Fetch" something for them and it sounds wacky- it probably is- trust me on this one ;)

Last edited:
Naval Junior ROTC, 1967-70. We could have gone at a moment's notice.
That's me on the left instructing the squad.

StPetersNJROTC1.jpg

8) Lastly- there are no such things as grid squares- if somebody asks you to go "Fetch" something for them and it sounds wacky- it probably is- trust me on this one ;)[/QUOTE]

And tracked vehicles do not have shocks so if you are asked to jump up and down on one to test the shocks...DON'T!

And there are no backblast bags for anti-tank weapons

Just a couple of other tricks played on "cherries" or FNGs.

Served in an Elite Guard Infantry Brigade for a short lived 3 years before it was cut short by a combat training related injury. Fell 2 floors and landed on concrete with my rifle strapped on my back. Not pleasant. Fortunately, i fractured only my tail bone and the spine was spared.

4.) Maintain sound physical conditioning- it's key to being able to make decisions under stress and may save your life. Eliminate crutches like chocolate, cookies, caffeine (but not a pint of Guinesses :D)
Chris, I mostly agree with your (two) cents but some of us lived on those "crutches", especially in the CZ.:eek: Maybe it was different for the Air Force but you must ask yourself if you would like pilots carrying what we carried over your heads to be soundly awake or not.:eek::D

8) Lastly- there are no such things as grid squares- if somebody asks you to go "Fetch" something for them and it sounds wacky- it probably is- trust me on this one ;)

And tracked vehicles do not have shocks so if you are asked to jump up and down on one to test the shocks...DON'T!

And there are no backblast bags for anti-tank weapons

Just a couple of other tricks played on "cherries" or FNGs.[/QUOTE]

And there will always be a complete idiot with at least one more stripe then you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back