Have any forum members served in the military? (2 Viewers)

I admire all the people who served their country, i'm not in the military but my father was general of the Guardia Di Finanza (a military corp that prevents drug traffic), and my uncle was an officer in the Marina (navy) during WWII (prisoner of the germans after the 8th september),my grandfather was officer in the Genio Militare (military engineers) during WWI, i'm really proud of the brother of my grandfather , he obtained a posthumous Silver Medal for assaulting an austrian trench in the 6th Battle of the Isonzo River (6th august 1916),volounteered to spot the gaps in the wire made by the artillery and then ,returning to the italian trench, volounteered again for being in the vanguard of the assault to the enemy trench ,jumping in it was bayoneted and the shot..his body never recovered.Also one of my ancestors was General Avitabile..of Flashman fame.Wonderful thread guys..great respect for all of you!!!

Peter- CONGRATULATIONS!! I for one am VERY proud of this decision you have made in your life. I am sure you are finding that things are a lot different than what you may have read about in books- unless you enjoy boring army tech and field manuals :D

My two cents:

1.) Duck first, shoot second- NEVER perform this simple rule in opposite direction unless you are a second Lieutenant or have a death wish :D

2.) Have a firm understanding of land navigation- do not rely on technical gimics like GPS systems and the like- yeah, they can tell you where you are but experience teaches you what effect the terrain has on unit operataions. Also- GPS systems are generally made by the lowest responsible bidder on a government contract so they are likely going to go out when you least need them to. Know that compass and carry a very reliable spare. Also as a benefit to the troopers you are covering for (ie artillery)- learn how to read a map as well

3.) Make your weapon your best friend. When I was with the 1-506 we field stripped M-16's, pistols, crew served weapons, etc- day, night, after PT, in the snow, rain, freezing hail,etc- learn how to properly maintain your rifle- SPORTS (Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap Squeeze)- one of the most functional Army acronyms out there (for clearing a jammed round in an M16). Lastly, keep your weapon CLEAN!!

4.) Maintain sound physical conditioning- it's key to being able to make decisions under stress and may save your life. Eliminate crutches like chocolate, cookies, caffeine (but not a pint of Guinesses :D)

5.) Listen to your Noncoms- be a sponge and soak in everything.

6.) Don't frown upon the military as a career choice- I have seen pictures of you and you insist that you are 20 somehting though you like 15 :p. Do your 20 years (or whatever Irish troopers need to do to meet retirement)- it will pass before you know it and you are still in your early 40's when you can retire. Having that military background is helpful. Plus, the military will probably pay for grad school and the like.

7.) Yeah, the Drill n Ceremony is pretty dull. It has it's merits though- learning discipline and how to operate as a cohesive unit and on commands. I see it like this- you can spend tons of money to go through college and let countless professors instruct you on abstract concepts you will probably never use again in the professional world- at least the government is kind enough to pay you while you learn boring things like Drill n ceremony (DnC). :)

8) Lastly- there are no such things as grid squares- if somebody asks you to go "Fetch" something for them and it sounds wacky- it probably is- trust me on this one ;)

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your kind words – great to hear from you again, mate!

I’m still absolutely delighted with having made the decision to join the Reserve. It certainly does differ quite a bit from the books and the films, but I’ve no problems at all with that – one of the main attractions for me in initially joining was to be able to get some small, but real experience of military life.

It’s moving on steadily; we’re still concentrating on drill but gradually moving on to basic small unit tactics, weapons handling, and the rest. Frustratingly, I’m still awaiting my formal swearing-in as a member of the Defence Forces – here in Ireland before you’re let next to near a military organisation, and given access to live ammunition, etc., you have to undergo a police background check to ensure there’s no criminal record in your past.

Unfortunately though, this process tends to take quite some time, so until I get the formal nod, I can’t get an Army Number, and so won’t even be issued with my DPMs (BDU’s to you in the States!) and beret. Here’s hoping it’s any night now. Till then, it’s polished civilian shoes, and tightly ironed dark suit trousers.

Our recruit platoon will have at least another 5-6 months of recruit training, before moving on to advanced training – which in our case obviously means field artillery; learning how to operate the guns and take our places in a gun crew. We use the L118 Light Gun, which as far as I’m aware is the same type used by the artillery components of light infantry and air assault divisions in the States like the 101st.

So it’s definitely all positive so far. The girlfriend isn’t over the moon about my haircut being permanently tight these days, but that’s about the extent of it:D.

Cheers,

Molloy.

I served in the US Navy from June 1989 to December 1993. My training took place at the Great Lakes training faciility and I was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia on board the USS Ticonderoga from Oct 90 to Dec 93. The following website is run by a former shipmate and myself. I worked and operated the aft missile launcher, the MK26GMLS.

http://www.ussticonderoga.com/

tico_back_sm.jpg

Just speaking to another forum member today that is also an ex-Aussie soldier so I thought this thread deserved a bump......

Didn't know this thread existed until just this AM. Served in the Royal Air Force Police from 1969-1990. Specializing in police dogs handling and training attack dogs and sniffer dogs,including training Royal Navy, HM customs USAFE personnel whilst in UK, did 3 year tour In Northern Ireland with firearms/explosive detection dogs, seen tours in Cyprus, Germany, all over UK and last but not least the Falkland Islands.

Respect for my late father in law who was in Royal Navy serving on ship pulling troops from Dunkirk

Regards John

Hi
27 years in the Canadian Forces.22 years in the army from the Toronto Scottish Reg then on to the 1st Bn Nova Scotia Highlanders then on to 2nd Royal Canadian Reg.After that I change over to the Navy as a Hull Tech.I spent 5 years on board HMCS Preserver before I was posted ashore.16 years more to go before I pack it in.I also help out 12 Wing Pipes and Drums in my time off.
Cheers
Dave

Hi
27 years in the Canadian Forces.22 years in the army from the Toronto Scottish Reg then on to the 1st Bn Nova Scotia Highlanders then on to 2nd Royal Canadian Reg.After that I change over to the Navy as a Hull Tech.I spent 5 years on board HMCS Preserver before I was posted ashore.16 years more to go before I pack it in.I also help out 12 Wing Pipes and Drums in my time off.
Cheers
Dave

A most impressive career,best of luck

I served one year in the French army (1981-82) and left with the rank of Sergeant. This was still the time when each young French had to serve for 1 year. It's not mandatory anymore. I think they changed that 10-15 years ago. I hold dual-citizenship: French and American.

I spent a year in the army (1983-84), in infantry, in the Canary Islands off the coast of the Moroccan Sahara

I was a Marine from 1976 until 1982, 0311 Infantry. My father was career Army and retired out of Vietnam as a Chief Warrant Officer. (It was his third war and had enough!) Two of my brothers flew Chinooks in Vietnam. One made a career out of the Army.
My oldest son is just completing his initial training in the Army. I to respect all that serve their country.

USS Nespelen AOG-55 1970-74 out of Little Creek, Va with operations in the Mediterranean. Gasoline tanker that fueled many types of ships at sea.

This photo was maybe taken in the 50s in Artic waters.

Launched 10 April 1945 and decommissioned 1975.
Sold for scrap in 1976.

Donnie

Attachments

• 09205505.jpg
    09205505.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 93
I served with 42 Commando RM 1956 to 1958. I have written a bit about that on the Britains-smallwars web site. It covers conflicts from 1945 to the present. History is often just a broad statement of fact, but the BSW site gives a more personal point of view, from the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines, who served in the various conflicts.

I served with 42 Commando RM 1956 to 1958. I have written a bit about that on the Britains-smallwars web site. It covers conflicts from 1945 to the present. History is often just a broad statement of fact, but the BSW site gives a more personal point of view, from the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines, who served in the various conflicts.

Did you serve in the Suez conflict

Yes I served in the Suez conflict. My two older brothers served in the Royal Navy during WW2 and compared to them my activities were fairly trivial. If you would like to read what I wrote about the assault on Port Said, message me and I will give you the web site addys. There are illustrations with the text which is fairly easy reading.

Bootneck

23 years steady but jumbled service. Presently RSM of the Queens York Rangers (1st Amercian) We are Recce. Served all over, and have two tours one in Bosnia and one in the Middle East. Been all over Europe USA etc.

Thats in Canada by the way.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back