Help to ID (1 Viewer)

Scarlet Pimpernel

Staff Sergeant
Ok...it is obviously an Indian regimental work detail erecting telegraph poles and lines.

But who made this? And does anyone have any additional information? I thought it might have been Somerset, but I see no Somerset markings.

Total of 29 glossy figures in true 54mm, plus donkey and various accessories.

Thanks for any insight.

Nicholas
Crown Military Miniatures

Telegraph 02 001 small.jpg

Telegraph 02 002  small.jpg

Telegraph 02 003 small.jpg

Telegraph 02 006 small.jpg

Telegraph 003 small.jpg

Not Somerset. Their sculpts are more detailed and nuanced.

Any markings on the underside of the bases?

Brad

Yes, Brad, I agree, they are not as refined as Somerset, but darned if I can ID them...no markings at all that I can see.

A slight possibility is Nicholson but I think they're a little better sculpted.

I think the three people who would know for sure are Brad the Baron, Tom Dubel (but I think he's on vacation right now) and, of course, Mike (Ucla1967).

Ok...it is obviously an Indian regimental work detail erecting telegraph poles and lines.

But who made this? And does anyone have any additional information? I thought it might have been Somerset, but I see no Somerset markings.

Total of 29 glossy figures in true 54mm, plus donkey and various accessories.

Thanks for any insight.

Nicholas
Crown Military Miniatures

View attachment 130969

Hi Nicholas

How about Kingcast ?

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/fo...727-Peter-Cowan-s-Kingcast-Toy-Soldiers/page3

Mike (ucla1967) might be able to help

Cheers

Martyn:)

Hi Nicholas

Both the supply mules appear to be painted a similar shade of pale blue/grey......I don't think I've seen that colour used before

Cheers

Martyn:)

Although this is the kind of stuff that Kingcast did theme wise, I am fairly confident that they are not Kingcast. The facial painting is not right, the marching figures sculpts are not right, and they are steping off on their right foot not their left foot as Kingcast figures do. Also, they are not Hocker, Somerset, or Nickolson. I really don't know who made them.

Mike

My first impression was Dorset Soldiers for the officers, but Dorset figures are on oval bases. Wessex Soldiers are similar but on rectangular bases.

Mike's comment about "stepping off on the wrong foot" brought Blenheim to mind. Blenheim figures are unique in that the marching/walking figures step off on the right (as opposed to left) foot.

Raymond.

I have about 40 Blenheim sets in my collection and I don't believe that they are Blenheim even though they are stepping off on their right foot. The mystery figures have a noticable bend in their step as opposed to Blenheim's straight leg step. Also, Blenheim only made five "equipment" type sets that I am aware of: Pontoon Section, Ammunition Mules, General Service Wagon, Battalion Transport Wagon, etc. They do not look like Andrew Rose sculpts either (i.e., Mark Time, Steadfast, Bastion Models, Wessex, etc).

The definitive answer is Mike Ferguson, small East Coast Maker. I have several variations of this set, pretty neat, but these are a home cast maker, a good one at that.

Tom

The definitive answer is Mike Ferguson, small East Coast Maker. I have several variations of this set, pretty neat, but these are a home cast maker, a good one at that.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom. I have heard of Ferguson, but don't have any of his figures and I don't believe we see his stuff very often on the West Coast.

Mike

I have about 40 Blenheim sets in my collection and I don't believe that they are Blenheim even though they are stepping off on their right foot. The mystery figures have a noticable bend in their step as opposed to Blenheim's straight leg step. Also, Blenheim only made five "equipment" type sets that I am aware of: Pontoon Section, Ammunition Mules, General Service Wagon, Battalion Transport Wagon, etc. They do not look like Andrew Rose sculpts either (i.e., Mark Time, Steadfast, Bastion Models, Wessex, etc).

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the additional information about Blenheim figures. My personal experience with Blenheim is very limited. I read about the Blenheim right foot step off in one of Norman Joplin's books. This is the first time I am viewing figures by Mike Ferguson and the flexed right knee of these figures is a differentiating feature.

Best Wishes, Raymond.:)

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the additional information about Blenheim figures. My personal experience with Blenheim is very limited. I read about the Blenheim right foot step off in one of Norman Joplin's books. This is the first time I am viewing figures by Mike Ferguson and the flexed right knee of these figures is a differentiating feature.

Best Wishes, Raymond.:)

Hi Raymond,

I hope Nicholas doesn't mind, but here are some photos of my Blenheim collection.

Mike

Attachments

• 100_2287.JPG
    100_2287.JPG
    636.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_2288.JPG
    100_2288.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2289.JPG
    100_2289.JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_2290.JPG
    100_2290.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2291.JPG
    100_2291.JPG
    576 KB · Views: 45
Hi Raymond,

I hope Nicholas doesn't mind, but here are some photos of my Blenheim collection.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for the pictures of your Blenheim collection.....much appreciated.

Cheers, Raymond.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back