Highland Square 1815 (1 Viewer)

Another excellent set of photos. It is a pleasure to see a mass of these figures set up so well.:cool: A couple of points on the guns

I think it was for mutal support, the guns would fire until the last minute and then the crews would try and seek shelter within the infantry square. Unless the cavalry spiked the guns the gun crews could then recommence firing once the cavalry had retired.
That is quite true for Waterloo but in different battles using squares, the guns were sometimes arranged differently. It was not uncommon to have guns at the corners or even spaced along the lines of squares if a cavalry attack was sufficiently expected. Of course then the trick was to align the squares to preserve clear firing lines.

Jeff is quite right, and for whatever insane reason, the French neglected to spike guns at Waterloo when they had the opportunity.
Indeed, one of the mysteries that will never be solved. Of course the Union Brigade made the same mistake but they probably never expected to overrun the French guns.

Jeff is quite right, and for whatever insane reason, the French neglected to spike guns at Waterloo when they had the opportunity.

Nick both your dioramas are incredible!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I hope to see more soon? I can,t really shell out the cash for painted metal these days but I,m still converting and painting and hope to do a few more myself soon.

As far as the cannons at Waterloo being spiked, I read somewhere that each British cannon had a spike and hammer in its ammo box just in case they were over run and couldn,t limber there cannons in time! How easy would that have been? And think of the troopers that would have been saved from the retreat from the squares? I believe most of the artillery crews took cover under there cannon, I know that,s what Mercers royal horse crews did. So in that case there would have been a bit of fighting to do to spike the cannon.

That's a very impressive display. If I were a Napoleonic era gunner, I wouldn't want to take cover under the gun if there was a square nearby. Especially when you're up against lancers with those big long pig stickers they carry. The gunners might have a chance against hussars or cuirassiers or any other mounted trooper armed with a saber. They could stay out of reach of a swordsman, but not a lancer.

Nick both your dioramas are incredible!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
......As far as the cannons at Waterloo being spiked, I read somewhere that each British cannon had a spike and hammer in its ammo box just in case they were over run and couldn,t limber there cannons in time! How easy would that have been? And think of the troopers that would have been saved from the retreat from the squares? I believe most of the artillery crews took cover under there cannon, I know that,s what Mercers royal horse crews did. So in that case there would have been a bit of fighting to do to spike the cannon.
I don't know about the RHA crews but based on the eyewitness and participant accounts I have seen, the vast majority of the British crews were instructed to and did in fact retreat to the safety of the squares. Remember that the French cavalry was armed and fired many shots at the squares when it became obvious they could not penetrate or break them so hiding under the guns would not have been very safe. I think that was only done when it they had no time to reach the closest squares.

Very Nice , thanks for sharing :) Great collection of figures and you have a very good eye for display truly very nice . Thanks again Gebhard

OMG, how did I miss this dio before now? :eek: I've never seen a complete square in 1:30 before! Makes my own half sq of a mere 50 figs look puny. Impressive does not begin to describe your work.

Pls post more pics! :D

What an amazing collection :eek:

I was wondering about the canons being outside the square. I'm no expert on this era (or any other) and ask those that do know if there were any standing orders about formation of squares around the remaining canons or was it otherwise.

OZ, check out the 1970's movie Waterloo, made in Russia, with Rod Steiger. Depicts the gunners running for cover in the square when the French cavalry charge. I know movies are not historically accurate but seems probable in this case. Have read critiques of the battle which blamed the French for not spiking the guns when they overran them, allowing the gunners to move back and work the guns again.

OZ, check out the 1970's movie Waterloo, made in Russia, with Rod Steiger. Depicts the gunners running for cover in the square when the French cavalry charge. I know movies are not historically accurate but seems probable in this case. Have read critiques of the battle which blamed the French for not spiking the guns when they overran them, allowing the gunners to move back and work the guns again.

Guns were normally positioned slightly in advance of the infantry line. When threatened by cavalry the procedure was for the gunners to run to the cover of the nearest square carrying the rammers and staffs to prevent them being broken by the enemy thus rendering the guns useless. They would throw themselves flat under the bayonets of the front kneeling rank for protection and then return to the guns when the enemy retired to regroup. Mercer's battery was firing over a low bank which gave his gunners some extra protection and they continued firing double charges of canister only taking refuge under the guns at the last moment. His efforts were so successful that a mound of dead men and horses built up in front of his guns so large that it could be seen from almost every point of the battlefield. The French cavalry didn't spike the guns for two reasons, first they didn't have the requisite hammers and spikes and second the natural reluctance of a cavalryman to dismount during an action where he could easily lose his horse.
The film "Waterloo" was reasonable but the overhead shot of the squares was horrendous, the infantry would have been firing into each other as they were scattered so haphazardly. The correct drill would be to aligne the squares so that they would resemble a line of diamonds placed tip to tip so that they fired across the face of the neighbouring square creating a deadly cross fire through the killing ground between them.

Guns were normally positioned slightly in advance of the infantry line. When threatened by cavalry the procedure was for the gunners to run to the cover of the nearest square carrying the rammers and staffs to prevent them being broken by the enemy thus rendering the guns useless. They would throw themselves flat under the bayonets of the front kneeling rank for protection and then return to the guns when the enemy retired to regroup. Mercer's battery was firing over a low bank which gave his gunners some extra protection and they continued firing double charges of canister only taking refuge under the guns at the last moment. His efforts were so successful that a mound of dead men and horses built up in front of his guns so large that it could be seen from almost every point of the battlefield. The French cavalry didn't spike the guns for two reasons, first they didn't have the requisite hammers and spikes and second the natural reluctance of a cavalryman to dismount during an action where he could easily lose his horse.
The film "Waterloo" was reasonable but the overhead shot of the squares was horrendous, the infantry would have been firing into each other as they were scattered so haphazardly. The correct drill would be to aligne the squares so that they would resemble a line of diamonds placed tip to tip so that they fired across the face of the neighbouring square creating a deadly cross fire through the killing ground between them.

Agreed, Trooper. In fact, I did not know that Mercer's battery retreated to the squares at all...but ok...certainly when I create the second square, I will position them tip to tip! :)

Agreed, Trooper. In fact, I did not know that Mercer's battery retreated to the squares at all...but ok...certainly when I create the second square, I will position them tip to tip! :)

A second square! :eek: You must have a lot of space (not to mention the figures needed based on your first work). Looking fwd to that! ;)

My comment was obviously ambiguous, Mercer's men took cover under their guns, not the guns of the square. They didn't leave the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back