How About A World War I Thread??? (4 Viewers)

I here ya! I have thus fa been able to keep up with all eight I think lines of K&C that I buy. But it is tough.

I also have the Britain's mounted Uhlans with gas masks in my collection. They are nice...no offense to Britain's...but the K&C ones are a cut above.
I believe you will find those Uhlan's are made by Frontline. The Britain's WW1 cavalry that have been done are outstanding, especially the French, and are every bit as good as the KC cavalry. -- Al

The fighting Poilus were promised "at the end of 2010" so hopefully they will be in next months dispatches, but you never know it could be a few more months. As far as future releases are concerned Andy has confirmed he does intend to release Doughboys, when they will be released however is unknown. I believe colonial British for the Lighthorse series as well as Arab irregulars were also mentioned. And of course the big news for the series is the new Aviation line Andy confirmed a few weeks ago. As far as speculation on my part, I dont believe Eastern front stuff will be seen, seeing as how WW2 Russian stuff doesnt sell, I cant imagine Russian WW1 stuff selling any better. Some really cool ideas I would like to see brought to fruition are Zouaves, winter Germans in greatcoats, french and british in sheepskins and balaclavas, and 1914 English. Until then, I'm biting my fingernails in anticipation for the fighting poilus!

The fighting Poilus were promised "at the end of 2010" so hopefully they will be in next months dispatches, but you never know it could be a few more months. As far as future releases are concerned Andy has confirmed he does intend to release Doughboys, when they will be released however is unknown. I believe colonial British for the Lighthorse series as well as Arab irregulars were also mentioned. And of course the big news for the series is the new Aviation line Andy confirmed a few weeks ago. As far as speculation on my part, I dont believe Eastern front stuff will be seen, seeing as how WW2 Russian stuff doesnt sell, I cant imagine Russian WW1 stuff selling any better. Some really cool ideas I would like to see brought to fruition are Zouaves, winter Germans in greatcoats, french and british in sheepskins and balaclavas, and 1914 English. Until then, I'm biting my fingernails in anticipation for the fighting poilus!
I wonder if the fighting Poilus will be of the 1914 variety? KC could go either way with them as they already have 1914 and 1916 era Germans for foes. I too would love to see 1914 Zouaves and French cavalry as well. I agree about the Russian front, don't think it will be done, but some 1914 Austro-Hungarian infantry and cavalry would be very colorful. -- Al

Great information and thanks! I am with you on the French, colonial Brits, Arabs, zouaves, winter Germans, sheepskins, Balaclava etc. Personality figures as well. I for anything and everything we can get in this theater of war.

Especially the WWI planes that were discussed. I would die for Manfred Von Richthofen in his Fokker tr1-plane...as well as all other allied and axis bi-planes. There are some nice ones out there...heck I even have different metal one made by Mignot. But can you imagine how these will look in K&C. I will devote an entire area to WWI air war.

On a side note...I have most of the Crimean War release....I am verrrrrrry sad that they are ending after the next release. However, the Russians in Pickelhaube's are out of this world!!!!

My charge of the light brigade display with these is among my favorite...I just need more cavalry poses......and a deal from Tony...oooops forget I said that!!! I thought for a minute i was on a different thread!!! Har Har...all in fun....and i have just begun!!!

....I would start it off with a set of German East Africa led by "The Lion Of Africa". Namely Paul von Lettow Vorbech. He is compared to and slightly above Erwin Rommel in character and ability. He fought surrounded on all sides by the British, Belgians and Portuguese colonial forces. He was never defeated and finally marched his force out in 1919 when a courier finally got thru to tell him the war was over! He was so well liked by his British counterparts that they actually paid a pension to him after the war for life; out of their respect for him and his humane treatment of the captured.. Now that is the best of enemies.

You certainly got the right man here but he marched in to the village of Abercorn on the southern end of Lake Tanganyika in what was then Northern Rhodesia (modern Zambia) on November 23 1918 and surrendered. He was an amazing field commander no doubt about it.

Dave

Thanks for the information. I actually have a book that I swear stated like February of 1919. However, that may have been he finally got back to Berlin on parade.

Hope we will see him as a K&C soldier one day.

It could well have taken him that long to get back to Germany. I dont know the date of his arrival home. Still a very interesting idea for a series.

Dave

It was 1919 before von Lettow Vorbeck got back to Germany. I do not have specific info on the exact date, but it was 1919. -- Al

Great, and thanks to everyone for the interest. Now all we have to do is ask Santa at K&C and pray!!!

I wonder if the fighting Poilus will be of the 1914 variety? KC could go either way with them as they already have 1914 and 1916 era Germans for foes. I too would love to see 1914 Zouaves and French cavalry as well. I agree about the Russian front, don't think it will be done, but some 1914 Austro-Hungarian infantry and cavalry would be very colorful. -- Al

Interesting question on the poilu's. I suppose I assumed they would be 1914. But it just very well could be a late war release with Adrian helmets. I almost would go with early war.....as their uniforms were not that drastically different than in WWII for late war. I.E. they may too closely resemble the FOB line and have trouble moving in the market. Just a thought. I will buy them all no matter what.

I also agree the Russians but i don't think they would sell well.

Austro-Hungarian would be outstanding!!

And I would go ape for the Franco-Prussian War.

Interesting question on the poilu's. I suppose I assumed they would be 1914. But it just very well could be a late war release with Adrian helmets. I almost would go with early war.....as their uniforms were not that drastically different than in WWII for late war. I.E. they may too closely resemble the FOB line and have trouble moving in the market. Just a thought. I will buy them all no matter what.

I also agree the Russians but i don't think they would sell well.

Austro-Hungarian would be outstanding!!

And I would go ape for the Franco-Prussian War.
I, too, would prefer 1914 uniformed French troops in action. Would love to see a group of figures in a bayonet charge, with buglars, standard bearers, and white gloved officers. I would not say no to the iconic horizon blue of the later war period, though. We still need an early war French .75 artillery piece. -- Al

I, too, would prefer 1914 uniformed French troops in action. Would love to see a group of figures in a bayonet charge, with buglars, standard bearers, and white gloved officers. I would not say no to the iconic horizon blue of the later war period, though. We still need an early war French .75 artillery piece. -- Al
Thanks for your reply! Lets keep this thread going!!!

I totally agree with you on the French!! Yes we do need French Artillery and also a British field piece or two would be most welcome!!

Let us hope K&C feels the same!!!!

Hi Hartschier. In the Retroactive price increase thread, you made reference to Canadian involvement on the Somme and at Verdun. I am curious about the Verdun involvement because I have never read about any such presence by the Canadians. I know the 1916 battle was a Franco-German affair and that later battles in 1918 involved American forces. I didn't think any Empire forces were that far south on the Western Front. Can you clarify? -- Al

For those of us interested in aircraft, John Jenkins has out a fantastic Sopwith Camel - with the Red Barron Fokker DR1 and pilots to follow. I'm dreaming of two aerodromes - German and Allied - as an adjunct to my K&C Germans vs. Brits. These will fit nicely with K&C.

Also waiting for the combat versions of the French. Not much interested in the marching figures out so far.

I'm pretty sure the fighting figures are going to be 1914. I would certainly hope so at least, as that is what I would really like to see first. I would eventually like to see later war horizon blue french, but for now I'm hoping (and almost positive) they are going to be 1914. Theres just something about those red pants! As for the guys hoping for the Red Barons plane, I would say thats almost a certainty as well. We shall see! Giddilly looking forward to both releases!

Sorry for the delay!! I actually had to work today...go figure. I can't even be allowed to get paid and stay home with toy soldiers....what is this world coming to?????

You are right. I kind of messed up this explanation. The Canadian forces involvement at the Somme was actually hoped to draw diversion away from the battle of Verdun where the French were taking heavy losses. I actually meant to state second Ypres and Somme.!!!

The Somme was a horror. I think the Canadians lost about 250 plus men and had about 500 wounded. Every officer was a casualty, mostly dead.

No offense to Great Britain...but I have always thought the ANZAC's and Canadians never received the credit they were due in all theaters of the Great War. Why not let K&C do it for us now!!!!

Thanks for your input. I did not even know Jenkins made these. I always think of French and Indian War items when I think of Jenkins. However, I want To see what K&C has to offer here before I invest in anything that I do not already own!!!!

Aerodromes would be too much to believe. Observation balloons!! How about a Zeppelin...oh stop it!!!...it sounds like a logistical nightmare..how would it be packed...maybe not as I look at my K&C WWII paratroopers dropping in on my AK's from my office ceiling!!!!!!!!

Most people do not know the story of Ferdinand Zeppelin who started all of this during the Franco-Prussian War....hint...hint.....

Sorry for the delay!! I actually had to work today...go figure. I can't even be allowed to get paid and stay home with toy soldiers....what is this world coming to?????

You are right. I kind of messed up this explanation. The Canadian forces involvement at the Somme was actually hoped to draw diversion away from the battle of Verdun where the French were taking heavy losses. I actually meant to state second Ypres and Somme.!!!

The Somme was a horror. I think the Canadians lost about 250 plus men and had about 500 wounded. Every officer was a casualty, mostly dead.

No offense to Great Britain...but I have always thought the ANZAC's and Canadians never received the credit they were due in all theaters of the Great War. Why not let K&C do it for us now!!!!

Not sure I agree with that at all.If you study the conflict, most serious work gives great credit indeed to Australian and Canadian forces, in fact I find it quite the reverse of your statement, the British get very little credit for their sacrifice in Gallipoli even though they lost more men than the ANZAC's.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back