How About A World War I Thread??? (7 Viewers)

Rob...

Well said saved me having to mention it
Mitch

Not sure I agree with that at all.If you study the conflict, most serious work gives great credit indeed to Australian and Canadian forces, in fact I find it quite the reverse of your statement, the British get very little credit for their sacrifice in Gallipoli even though they lost more men than the ANZAC's.

Rob
If you think the British get little credit, what about the French? Not many people could tell you the French were even involved, but their casualties were quite heavy as well, exceeding the Anzac losses. -- Al

....also how about Canadian ace Billy Baker shooting down German balloons on my office ceiling.....I cant stand it....too much to hope for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The finest Balloon Buster of all.......Billy Baker!!!

......and all of that was a propaganda measure.........Brit's took credit for everything....Take Monty...asked to evaluate the Normandy defenses and later took credit for planning the whole invasion at DDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob...

Well said saved me having to mention it
Mitch

The Sheffield battalion lost 513 men killed and wounded. Two Tyneside Scottish battalions lost 584 and 629 men on 1st July. Many battalions paid a high price that day, from all over Britain and her Empire.

Rob

How can you not reply to Robs comment and end up in WWII?????
Mitch

......and all of that was a propaganda measure.........Brit's took credit for everything....Take Monty...asked to evaluate the Normandy defenses and later took credit for planning the whole invasion at DDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you actually saying the deaths of thousands of British servicemen on the 1st day of the Somme was propaganda and then actually saying no offence?!!!

Rob

The Sheffield battalion lost 513 men killed and wounded. Two Tyneside Scottish battalions lost 584 and 629 men on 1st July. Many battalions paid a high price that day, from all over Britain and her Empire.

Rob
The 2 Tyneside Scottish battalions were part of the 34th Division. I think they were part of the 102nd Brigade. The whole division was shot to pieces that day. The Tyneside Irish Brigade of the same division took heavy casualties as well with the 1st Tyneside Irish losing 620 men. The 1st Newfoundland lost 684 men. What slaughter. -- Al

....also how about Canadian ace Billy Baker shooting down German balloons on my office ceiling.....I cant stand it....too much to hope for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure you mean William "Billy" Barker, VC. Credited with 50 victories, all but 4 in Italy, he claimed 9 balloons in his total. He was remarkable. -- Al

That has to do with shear amount of forces...French lots...Canadians few....

Well my view on the French is as of such. They seem to have been degraded by many due to the huge amounts of deserters and malcontents in late war trench warfare. More than all other contingents on either side. Not to mention WWII being so soon after seeing...the immediate collapse of the Maginot line; capitulation of Dardier and the Vichy Government fiasco's' stayed any support for them in after 1930 style historical depictions.

Hence became the shame and lack of involvement in WWII of De Gaul...

Just my opinion from what I have studied if my memory serves me right....and it may not!!!!!

Yes my typing and eye sight is not that great....but let us face it..the man was a stud!

I cannot remember, but I think he disappeared and was never recovered?

I thought you were talking about the canadians and anzacs first and their lack of representation and credit in historical narrative? Now, your jumping to the French. Your in deep water here and sinking rather fast
Mitch

That has to do with shear amount of forces...French lots...Canadians few....

Well my view on the French is as of such. They seem to have been degraded by many due to the huge amounts of deserters and malcontents in late war trench warfare. More than all other contingents on either side. Not to mention WWII being so soon after seeing...the immediate collapse of the Maginot line; capitulation of Dardier and the Vichy Government fiasco's' stayed any support for them in after 1930 style historical depictions.

Hence became the shame and lack of involvement in WWII of De Gaul...

Just my opinion from what I have studied if my memory serves me right....and it may not!!!!!

You have just insulted the memory of thousands of my countrymen who died on that day, and for no real reason. Unless you wish to appear a total moron and have no credibility whatsoever around here I suggest you withdraw what you said, it was deeply offensive to those of us who had relations serving on that day.

Rob

Of course not!!!!! I am just trying to rib you Limeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only because I love ya!!!!

Also I can't always figure out how to follow these threads when I am replying!!!

It has only been two days...and what do you expect from a private!!!

That's Billy Barker. His balloon busting was in Italy vs the Austrians. He and his wingman developed a technique for busting the heavily defended balloons protected by AAA, MG and fighters. But as his balloon busting flights were unauthorized and used forbidden ground level flying, he usually just got reprimanded and not rewarded. He and his wingman destroyed 5 balloons in a single flight and shot down one of the protecting fighters. On return they had to talk the ground crew into patching the holes because that action had been forbidden by the commander too.

Terry

Well..because we are supposed to be able to do what we want in this blog unless we break the rules??

Hartschier...

I find the comments which, you believe to be ribbing cause ya love us totally obnoxious and degrading to those including my family members who died in the great war. Your justification of being a private and not knowing the rules is crass and stupid you just don't knock someones country and their fallen.
Mitch

Yes my typing and eye sight is not that great....but let us face it..the man was a stud!

I cannot remember, but I think he disappeared and was never recovered?
William Barker, VC., survived the war. Any number of other aces disappeared under mysterious circumstances but Barker was not one of them. He was killed in a post-war flying accident in 1930. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back