How About A World War I Thread??? (9 Viewers)

No problem, Rob. I think what we have here is different types of senses of humor from country to country. I would never put down anyone's war dead. I also have family killed in WWI. But they were German....so most do not care.

Perhaps my wish list things have moved us to too much history.

Lets talk about the K&C soldiers!!!

So what do we think about the Chicago dinner figure?

I appreciate that, and all deaths in that War were such a waste.I have also visited German cemeteries over there, and they are moving, peaceful and very sad places. Young men far from their homes, something truly terrible about WW1. I'm sorry you lost family members.

Anyway, great Chicago figure, I've not yet got into the WW1 range but anymore like him and I could be tempted. Would like to see any Allied or German figures from Passchendaele or the Somme myself.

Rob

I would never put down anyone's war dead. I also have family killed in WWI. But they were German....so most do not care.

Some do care. It is remembrance day in the UK in six days, when we remember the fallen in all conflicts, from any side. They shall not grow old..... I will not mention toy soldiers at this point as it seems a bit trite under the circumstances.

Thanks. I put my dinner figure in my trench display for now. He looks great. He is in between my WWI Scots and Brits storming the German occupied trench, even though he is marching. He is awaiting a 1914 release from old blighty.

My second display has the first German release with multiples marching to battle. The last has the new French marching to battle. The poses of the marching French show a great advance in parade figures only matched previously by the NAP Dragoon's el Pied; in my opinion...and we know what opinions are worth. previously.

Forgive my spelling...or if I am incorrect.

Thanks. I put my dinner figure in my trench display for now. He looks great. He is in between my WWI Scots and Brits storming the German occupied trench, even though he is marching. He is awaiting a 1914 release from old blighty.

My second display has the first German release with multiples marching to battle. The last has the new French marching to battle. The poses of the marching French show a great advance in parade figures only matched previously by the NAP Dragoon's el Pied; in my opinion...and we know what opinions are worth. previously.

Forgive my spelling...or if I am incorrect.

Sounds very good!.:cool: Will get some pics of the WW1 K&C dio at the show in London in four weeks time and post them on here. The marching Germans do look excellent.

Rob

Did you see Gordon's dio of the Aussie and Turk's with train behind!!!!!???

If only I had the money like the guy from ...I believe Germany...that bought like all the dio's from Gordon.

Did you see Gordon's dio of the Aussie and Turk's with train behind!!!!!???

If only I had the money like the guy from ...I believe Germany...that bought like all the dio's from Gordon.

Yes I did, Gordon is a dio master, really wonderful stuff he makes.

Rob

If there is one line that I would like to collect but I have not. It is the Battle of the Bulge Winter camo.
I just can't afford to go back that far on EBAY and on line auctions to pick up the early releases at such prices. I did this with my AK collection over years and thousand's of dollars. And I mean all the way back...which bye the bye..the Tunisian Tiger Rules. However..I must concede that the new Tiger has taken the cake.

Gordon's display at the show with the bridge...maybe the best I have ever seen....we need to find out where that German guy lives and do a recon!!! Just kidding!

NEW INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently we have our first 1914 Dough-boy!!!!

DID YOU KNOW???????????????

I'm interested!

Right now I have two WWI setups. The first is a Western Front dio that is a mish-mash of nationalities, time periods and manufacturers. 1914 British, French infantry and German infantry, and French cavalry - all from Britains, with K&C's MK IV tank (as someone else pointed out, one of the best AFVs they've made recently). I know it's not historically accurate to have 1914 Germans in a dio with the tank, but the Picklehaub (sp?) helmets are so emblematic of WWI I couldn't imagine the dio without them.

I've also got a small setup of Beersheba. I was maybe interested in half the releases from the first offering. I've said before that I think K&C makes the best cavalry hands down - I've jumped into entire ranges outside of my areas of interest like ACW or the Cossacks b/c of this. But I'm really particular about horses, and a couple of them just didn't "look right".

But that may have been a good thing, since I'd like nearly all the upcoming release. That leaping horse and the artillery are excellent. It doesn't hurt that they all go so well with the Desert Village pieces.

The Aussie/Turk line was a nice surprise...it seemed like Andy was committed to the Western Front exclusively. Like you suggested with the Germans in East Africa, people forget it was truly a global war. I'd love to see Austro-Hungarians, Serbs, Italians etc. How about a "Hemingway" Italian ambulance set, or a retooling of the Kaiser's staff car into an assassination of Archduke Ferdinand set?

Gordon's dio does seem pretty special (although I've only seen it in pictures). If that locomotive were offered, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Come on, Andy, if Figarti can make affordable trains, surely you can;)

HI ROB..
A little information battle of the Somme july 1 1916 Newfondland regt. were orderd to
move up. 780 men within 1/2 hour casualty rate 90% 110 survived at roll call 68 fit for duty. In reconition of Ypres and Cambrai in 1917 King George bestowed Prefix Royal on 28 sept. 1917 renaming Royal Newfondland Regt. Only time in w.w.1 this honour was
given. After that battle the people of Newfoundland wanted to bring their boys back they
were devastated everybody knows everybody on that Island. No offence given to you Rob
I know how you feel towards all Vets in all wars, this is why I am sending this to you
Rob I know you will understand. ITwas mentioned no Canadians at Somme. Thanks

As I have been recently made aware...this forum is about toy soldiers..we need to try to lessen the history lesson..

I am new...but I am sure you know how to send privately..

HI ROB..
A little information battle of the Somme july 1 1916 Newfondland regt. were orderd to
move up. 780 men within 1/2 hour casualty rate 90% 110 survived at roll call 68 fit for duty. In reconition of Ypres and Cambrai in 1917 King George bestowed Prefix Royal on 28 sept. 1917 renaming Royal Newfondland Regt. Only time in w.w.1 this honour was
given. After that battle the people of Newfoundland wanted to bring their boys back they
were devastated everybody knows everybody on that Island. No offence given to you Rob
I know how you feel towards all Vets in all wars, this is why I am sending this to you
Rob I know you will understand. ITwas mentioned no Canadians at Somme. Thanks

No offence taken at all Old Tank. I very well know the story of the Canadians as I have read about the battle since the age of about nine and visited Newfoundland memorial park on the Somme many times over the years. I HAVE NEVER SAID AND WOULD NEVER SAY there were no Canadians at the Somme, it would be like saying there were no Germans there either!!.

All the best mate:)

Rob

One of my top 5 treasured possessions is an old b&w picture of my great grandfather behind a Browning .30cal circa 1917-18. I wish I could scan it on here :eek: Anyway, he is in France somewhere with two other doughboys- the clarity is amazing- Pvt. Genovese "Gene" Carelli formerly of Calabria Italy, now from Chicago :)

Anyway, said he got hit in the head and the bullet remained lodged in between the top of his skull and his skin- the medics didn't take the time to remove it as they were patching up more intense injuries. Guess the helmet absorbed most of the blow. He went to his grave with that story- who knows- he did have a lump there so I wouldn't doubt him- passed away in 89 well into his 90's. Came back from the war and his brother stole his money- moved to Kenosha Wisconsin and was a barber for 50 years or so. Made excellent pepperoni- the guy was awesome. :)

WW1 is unique in my opinion of warfare in that it was like a "Perfect Storm". You had the infancy of Aerial combat- making warfare a 3 dimension field, armor was coming into it's infancy, the Machine Gun was being deployed into intersecting fields of fire- away from the linear features of the ACW and other conflict of the time, and the rates of fire and ease of mobility and use of the MG really helped kick the casualty rates into the stratosphere.

Then there was the gas.

Let's hope we never see anything like that ever ever again.

One of my top 5 treasured possessions is an old b&w picture of my great grandfather behind a Browning .30cal circa 1917-18. I wish I could scan it on here :eek: Anyway, he is in France somewhere with two other doughboys- the clarity is amazing- Pvt. Genovese "Gene" Carelli formerly of Calabria Italy, now from Chicago :)

Anyway, said he got hit in the head and the bullet remained lodged in between the top of his skull and his skin- the medics didn't take the time to remove it as they were patching up more intense injuries. Guess the helmet absorbed most of the blow. He went to his grave with that story- who knows- he did have a lump there so I wouldn't doubt him- passed away in 89 well into his 90's. Came back from the war and his brother stole his money- moved to Kenosha Wisconsin and was a barber for 50 years or so. Made excellent pepperoni- the guy was awesome. :)

WW1 is unique in my opinion of warfare in that it was like a "Perfect Storm". You had the infancy of Aerial combat- making warfare a 3 dimension field, armor was coming into it's infancy, the Machine Gun was being deployed into intersecting fields of fire- away from the linear features of the ACW and other conflict of the time, and the rates of fire and ease of mobility and use of the MG really helped kick the casualty rates into the stratosphere.

Then there was the gas.

Let's hope we never see anything like that ever ever again.
Great family history, Chris. Like the "Perfect Storm" analogy, too. I agree. WW1 has got something for everyone. To add, there was submarine warfare, along with the huge dreadnoughts and Q boats. The very early development of the aircraft carrier and the use of the aircraft at sea. The war started with the basics of 19th century war, ie., the cavalry and massed infantry. When the machine gun was engaged (and make no mistake, the machine gun was the game changer), it changed the whole face of warfare. Four years of slaughter to develope weapons and tactics to break free of the MG's command of the battlefield that were only partly successful. WW1 has always been and always will be the most interesting of conflicts to me. -- Al

Currahee...

Excellent story and family history. My Great Grandfather served in the Royal Northumberland Fusilliers and was shot twice on different occasions before being hit with shrapnel and given the ''blighty'' wound. He died of a chest infection in 1929. I have his bible that was with him through his war service given to him by my great grandmother and, some other things including one rather unclear picture of him and some ''mates'' in France. I just love having this stuff its ''priceless'' family history. The ''perfect storm'' is a great analogy for a conflict like that
Mitch

As I have been recently made aware...this forum is about toy soldiers..we need to try to lessen the history lesson..

I am new...but I am sure you know how to send privately..
Well the thing is that history is a vital part of collecting military miniatures; without it what would be the point and without understanding it how would we even know what to collect? There are indeed some no fly zones here but history is not one of them. I certainly hope we never lose that.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back