How About A World War I Thread??? (7 Viewers)

Well the thing is that history is a vital part of collecting military miniatures; without it what would be the point and without understanding it how would we even know what to collect? There are indeed some no fly zones here but history is not one of them. I certainly hope we never lose that.;)
Good post, Bill. I wouldn't know how to seperate history from TS. After all, TS are a representation of history. They are the same. Heck, if we can't discuss history, what's the point? -- Al

Certainly agree that History is a fundamental point of importance in our hobby however, when it is used in a twisted manner purely to insult then it has no part in any discussion. There is a big difference in the points being made
Mitch

Thanks for the kind words fellas- very much enjoy your story Mitch.

Suffice to say, the only thing I think I could never see myself doing in combat, where I would "Freeze" is going over the top. The fact that guys did it after seeing the horrors of that is just amazing.

Al- to me, the MG was always there- portability and deployment of the MG was the bigger issue imo. Sometimes simple things can completely change the landscape- take the use of the stirrup for instance (in the middle ages).

Anyway, the MG was always there in the ACW- it was difficult to manuever akin to toting a 7 pounder into a fray. Also, they were aligned to fire straight volleys essentially downrange (with some degree of variance)

With WW1, the MG got smaller, and a team of grunts could carry them and deploy them. Then, as trench warfare settled in, MG nests could be effectively positioned to setup field of intersecting fire which allowed a full out onslaught of murderous proportions.

Great points on the subs and airwar as well- though Al, you are the expert there (WW1 aviation history) :)

Thanks for the kind words fellas- very much enjoy your story Mitch.

Suffice to say, the only thing I think I could never see myself doing in combat, where I would "Freeze" is going over the top. The fact that guys did it after seeing the horrors of that is just amazing.

Al- to me, the MG was always there- portability and deployment of the MG was the bigger issue imo. Sometimes simple things can completely change the landscape- take the use of the stirrup for instance (in the middle ages).

Anyway, the MG was always there in the ACW- it was difficult to manuever akin to toting a 7 pounder into a fray. Also, they were aligned to fire straight volleys essentially downrange (with some degree of variance)

With WW1, the MG got smaller, and a team of grunts could carry them and deploy them. Then, as trench warfare settled in, MG nests could be effectively positioned to setup field of intersecting fire which allowed a full out onslaught of murderous proportions.

Great points on the subs and airwar as well- though Al, you are the expert there (WW1 aviation history) :)
Chris, I agree completely about the MG and the portability. It was Mr. Maxim who cut down the size, invented the belt feed and made it reliable to the point where it could dominate the battlefield. So I guess, specifically, it was the Maxim gun and it's derivatives that changed the course of war. As to being an expert on WW1 aviation, I fear that overqualifies me. I am a typical amateur who knows enough to get into trouble.:p:eek::eek::D -- Al

currahee...

I just could not imagine the feelings and the courage it must have taken to climb over the trench wall and into that firestorm especially, when you had to walk and, that you may have done it previously and been fortunate to survive.
Unbelievable courage!!
Mitch

As Chris and Mitch have pointed out, going "over the top" had to be the supreme test of a man's courage and devotion. How else does one explain those men being able to do it, especially on multiple occasions? Where did these men find that inner strength? I know I couldn't do it. Perhaps patriotism, duty, honor, and not wanting to let your mates down is pretty strong stuff in the end. One thing for sure, that generation of men was something special, regardless of the uniform worn. -- Al

Lancer...

No arguments from here perfectly put. A truly unique generation of men.
Mitch

currahee...

I just could not imagine the feelings and the courage it must have taken to climb over the trench wall and into that firestorm especially, when you had to walk and, that you may have done it previously and been fortunate to survive.
Unbelievable courage!!
Mitch

Agreed- funny when you hear people throw the words "coward and "yellow" around when watching war movies or what not- easy thing to do sitting onthe sofa, sucking down pints and eating chips and dip in the warmth and comfort of your quiet home. I never in my life would ever cast judgement on anyone in any conflict- human will to survive makes people do some crraaazzzyy stuff. If not going over the top would make me a coward, then yeah, guess I am. :eek::(:eek:

Anybody care to post some pix of their WW1 set ups? Would be a nice to see some of the dioramas and collections that are out there.

Here's some shots of my K&C WWI display at the Springfield Musuems in 2009. The series has advanced a lot since then, and I'm hoping to mount another full display sometime in the future. Hope you enjoy these.
web_P1020449.JPG

web_P1020450.JPG

web_P1020451.JPG

web_P1020454.JPG

I also have the ALH seies - God, I love these figures!

Here's a few shots of the K&C Beersheba display at the Chicago Show last month. Thanks Andy and Company for some real eye candy! Photos by Walt Damon.

web_DSC05977.JPG

web_DSC05978.JPG

web_DSC05979.JPG

PJDeluhery...

You have some really nice WWI sets and dio's there. Excellent stuff.. Thanks for posting them
Mitch

Here's some shots of my K&C WWI display at the Springfield Musuems in 2009. The series has advanced a lot since then, and I'm hoping to mount another full display sometime in the future. Hope you enjoy these.
View attachment 49204

View attachment 49205

View attachment 49206

View attachment 49207
Outstanding work in this series of pictures. I especially like dio's where they blend the materials onto the soldiers bases for realism. I have not tried this before as I move them around a fair amount when changing or adding new figures.

Again the dio from the Chicago show was dynamite!!

Good to see the thread is still moving along. Not much time now...had to work this weekend.

Agreed- funny when you hear people throw the words "coward and "yellow" around when watching war movies or what not- easy thing to do sitting onthe sofa, sucking down pints and eating chips and dip in the warmth and comfort of your quiet home. I never in my life would ever cast judgement on anyone in any conflict- human will to survive makes people do some crraaazzzyy stuff. If not going over the top would make me a coward, then yeah, guess I am. :eek::(:eek:

Well said airbourne,,someone once said "when your absolute end is a few feet ahead staring straight at you,something keeps you going that last few yards,almost a pure penultiamate masochism ,a sort of hotly joyous and acceptance -which keeps you going the last few steps,the ultimate luxury of just not giving a **** anymore,"
maybe the last bayonet charge,,,, great the parents of america can produce men like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see the thread continuing on. Once again has anyone seen the new club American dough-boy 1914. I had a picture emailed to me and it looks great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back