Humbrol paints - then & now (2 Viewers)

Asterix

Private 2
I know that Humbrol has been through a few owners (e.g. Monogram which I believe did the line no favors), and the numbering system has been revised accordingly. I have a few tins from the original line, but I wonder if there is a way to match up the old numbers with current ones? I understand that some of the colors (e.g. Africa Korps desert yellow) have been discontinued.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

I have had the same problem as some colours have been retired ……

All I can do is try the another maker, like Revell, and use the best match I can.

I always use enamels, so they are the only 2 brands available to me in Australia, and I hardly ever mix paints, preferring to use the colour straight of the can.
The reason is that I paint figures for many people and when the want more soldiers to join what I may have painted a few years back, I have to get the same colour.

Hope that helps,
John

I have had the same problem as some colours have been retired ……

All I can do is try the another maker, like Revell, and use the best match I can.

I always use enamels, so they are the only 2 brands available to me in Australia, and I hardly ever mix paints, preferring to use the colour straight of the can.
The reason is that I paint figures for many people and when the want more soldiers to join what I may have painted a few years back, I have to get the same colour.

Hope that helps,
John

Long as you have a big supply of Grey mate

Following on Obee's comment, you may find it easier to match colors from product lines that are more readily available to us here in the US. For example, I use enamels from Testor's and Tamiya. They both have extensive color catalogs, and they are available at many bricks-and-mortar locations, as well as online.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks John and Brad. I also don't mix paints (very well) and prefer to paint straight from the container. I've printed out a chart with suggested "matches" with specific Humbrol colors. Some manufacturers should be easy to find. Others...well maybe not.

Just to add that I generally use enamels as a thin undercoat over primed metal or bare resin and plastic. I usually paint over in oils so I don't have a problem with approx shades. Hence I mix my paints. The reason I do so is that my enamels don't last that long the moment I open them. In about a couple of months, the paint gets all gungy and dried up.

Sometimes, I substitute with Jo Sonja acrylics for the enamels. This works very well too. FYI.

Rgds Victor

I know that Humbrol has been through a few owners (e.g. Monogram which I believe did the line no favors), and the numbering system has been revised accordingly. I have a few tins from the original line, but I wonder if there is a way to match up the old numbers with current ones? I understand that some of the colors (e.g. Africa Korps desert yellow) have been discontinued.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

ScaleMates suggest AA0686 as matching color for old HM02

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/h...africa-korps-desert-yellow-enamel-matt--13671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back