I Am Become Death (1 Viewer)

My favorite lines from a movie full of great lines has to be the door gunner.

"anyone who runs is VC.anyone who stands still, is a well discipline VC"
and the " easy you just don't lead em so much, aint war hell "

With all the great scenes in Full Medal Jacket. Very few hit me like the early morning drill scenes.
The color of the sky in those scenes brings me right back to those mornings.

My favorite lines from a movie full of great lines has to be the door gunner.

"anyone who runs is VC.anyone who stands still, is a well discipline VC"
and the " easy you just don't lead em so much, aint war hell "

With all the great scenes in Full Medal Jacket. Very few hit me like the early morning drill scenes.
The color of the sky in those scenes brings me right back to those mornings.

"Get some!!......Get some!!".......him blazing away while Rafterman is trying not to hurl is classic.............

This is great news, Animal Mother is one of my all time favorite characters from a war film.

"At least they died for a good cause"
"What cause is that?"
"Freedom"
"Flush out your head gear new guy, this is a ****ing slaughter; if I'm going to get my balls blown off for a word, my word is poontange"

"Animal Mother will be alright as long as he's got someone throwing hand grenades at him for the rest of his life"

The second half of that movie is incredible, so many classic lines............it was filmed in Ireland at an abandoned factory complex, plastic palm trees were flown in, they looked like ****, so real ones were used..................Michael Anthony Hall, aka, the Geek from Sixteen Candles originally was cast as Joker, he turned it down and Mathew Modine got the part.................."Does this mean Ann Margaret is not coming?".....................

Thanks George for your response and those classic lines from the movie.

One small detail though...The film location was Beckton Gas Works, an abandoned and about-to-be -demolished gas works at East Ham on the north bank of the Thames in London.

The film company brought in about 60 actual Palm Trees from Spain and imported more plastic ones from Hong Kong when many of the real ones suffered from the harsh British weather conditions.

Those great scenes involving the ‘Grunts’, including ‘Animal Mother’, taking out the young female sniper who ambushes them took a whole month to ‘shoot’ with the entire second ‘Vietnam’ half of the movie taking almost a year to complete.

’Full Metal Jacket’...simply outstanding and no CGI in those days either!!!
All the best and happy viewing,
Andy.

P.S. Virtually the film’s entire gas works/city of Hue location is now part of the huge London Docklands Development of high end accommodation and swanky offices. C’est la guerre, c’est la vie.

There is a documentary on Kubrick called "S is for Stanley". It is told from his driver point of view who became somewhat of a personal assistant to Kubrick.
They discuss the location and some of the troubles they had filming the second half of the FMJ. I think it's on Amazon prime or netflix but it's worth a watch imo if your into the art of film making.

Thanks Andy for the details behind the movie, interesting as always to learn about the fine details.

I remember seeing it at the theater and when it ended, I was somewhat shocked as it had sucked me so much that I was surprised it ended, I wanted more.

Just a tremendous movie.

Thanks Andy for the details behind the movie, interesting as always to learn about the fine details.

I remember seeing it at the theater and when it ended, I was somewhat shocked as it had sucked me so much that I was surprised it ended, I wanted more.

Just a tremendous movie.

Roger that, George....Over the weekend I ordered from Amazon, Mathew Modine's 'FULL METAL JACKET DIARIES', his photos and memories of playing "Joker" in the movie and lots of 'Behind the scenes' reminiscences of his fellow actors and working with the great Stanley Kubrick.
Looking forward to getting it... and maybe some additional inspiration!
Andy.

Roger that, George....Over the weekend I ordered from Amazon, Mathew Modine's 'FULL METAL JACKET DIARIES', his photos and memories of playing "Joker" in the movie and lots of 'Behind the scenes' reminiscences of his fellow actors and working with the great Stanley Kubrick.
Looking forward to getting it... and maybe some additional inspiration!
Andy.

Thanks for the information on that, I'll have to pick it up being such a huge fan of the movie.

Still funny that he got the role only after Michael Anthony Hall turned it down; I bet he regrets that decision...………………"You're not a writer you're a killer!"

My only problem with Full Metal Jacket was when "Pyle" shot the drill sargent. The rest of the basic training scenes were exactly like basic was. But there's no way you'd ever have a rifle in the barracks in the middle of the night. And no way in hell would you have ammo.

My only problem with Full Metal Jacket was when "Pyle" shot the drill sargent. The rest of the basic training scenes were exactly like basic was. But there's no way you'd ever have a rifle in the barracks in the middle of the night. And no way in hell would you have ammo.

Here Here.

If you recall the Marines in the movie had their M14’s in their racks in earlier scenes also, I agree unlikely to have live rounds in your possession after the ranges...Unlikely yes, but not impossible.
Remember ‘Gomer Pyle’ was definitely a ‘Section 8,...
Andy.

Went through Parris Island in 1979. Our rifles were hung on our racks with cable locks. We had the key to our own rifle so getting a rifle in the middle of the night was easy. Getting rounds off the range is another matter. Hard but not impossible.

S/F
Keith

If you recall the Marines in the movie had their M14’s in their racks in earlier scenes also, I agree unlikely to have live rounds in your possession after the ranges...Unlikely yes, but not impossible.
Remember ‘Gomer Pyle’ was definitely a ‘Section 8,...
Andy.

I thought according to the drill instructor, he was "Born again hard and I might even let you become a rifleman in my beloved corps"............................

I thought according to the drill instructor, he was "Born again hard and I might even let you become a rifleman in my beloved corps"............................

You can be born again hard and squared away and still be a section 8. A good portion of the force recon guys I met would have qualified.😀

I wondered about the rifles in the movie too. I assumed it was a 60s thing. The only time our rifles were in rack during basic was at the week of rifle range. Then same thing. Cable lock, but ammo off the range would have been hard. It was a movie and the best version of USMC boot camp I’d had ever seen so I cut it some slack. let’s be honest it was a Kubrick film, we could have had Private Pyle with his eyes stretched open by clamps.:smile2: I’m grateful for what it was.

You can be born again hard and squared away and still be a section 8. A good portion of the force recon guys I met would have qualified.😀

I wondered about the rifles in the movie too. I assumed it was a 60s thing. The only time our rifles were in rack during basic was at the week of rifle range. Then same thing. Cable lock, but ammo off the range would have been hard. It was a movie and the best version of USMC boot camp I’d had ever seen so I cut it some slack. let’s be honest it was a Kubrick film, we could have had Private Pyle with his eyes stretched open by clamps.:smile2: I’m grateful for what it was.

True, it was a movie so that scene made it more interesting. I just loved the character of the drill sargent. I hated to see him killed.

My first batch of KC Vietnam troops arrives this week-can't wait to get em and this new MG figure is definitely a must have-love it.

My first batch of KC Vietnam troops arrives this week-can't wait to get em and this new MG figure is definitely a must have-love it.

Here’s hoping you like them Mike!

What I can tell you is that there are plenty more already in the pipeline that i’m Really excited about.

At the moment I am reading Sir Max Hastings ‘VIETNAM An Epic History of a Tragic War’... It’s a terrific book and gives a very balanced view of the war ...and all its participants.
I highly recommend it...

Also
Neil Sheehan’s ‘A Bright Shining Lie’
All the best,
Andy.

That's one badass figure, Andy.
Congrats!
I'll be inviting him to my house and hope to stay on his good side.:tongue:

Jor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back