ID required on a Viking carrying a naked captive woman! (1 Viewer)

Rediarmor

Private 1st Class
I assume the title brought you here! I have acquired a nice little 54mm figure, and would like to know the maker please. It is solid, has plenty of detail, and has the base missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought is that the castings are either by Phoenix Model Developments, or by Sanderson. Phoenix definitely had a series in its 54mm catalog, depicting a Viking raid on Lindisfarne in 793. I don't recall, however, if that series included any women or if it was just the Vikings and the monks of the priory. On the other hand, I don't know offhand whether Sanderson ever produced any Vikings, but he definitely produced female figures like this one in his Roman series and his "Pirates of Tortuga" series.

That's my educated guess, in any case. I'll be on the road till late this evening, so I won't be able to check my references till then.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

Thanks Brad, I have just looked up both. There are some lovely figures, but nothing like mine. I will pick up some glue tomorrow, assemble, apply a little more paint, then post pics. I have just remembered, I need a base of some kind.

Hi,

They are Pheonix figures, they done a series of viking figures. There is another one with a standing Viking cheftain with a semi clad girl at his feet he has a hold of her by the hair.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I had not heard of the company until I looked them up, nice figures with plenty of detail. I am tempted to make a mould, the girl has so many possibilities!

Hehe, she can't be really frightened, she is giving the "thumbs up"!!!

You can find a lot of this sort of figures being sold recently on John Eden's Ebay page.

The Sanderson figures also have Romans, Goths, Vikings and such engaged in rape & pillage.

JOhn

Thank you to Obee, I don't know John Eden, what's his username?

pochmahone - thank you, I now know these are Pewter, who made them, what range they are, the fact that there should be a sword and a battleaxe, and I now know what the base should look like! :)

Thanks John. I have just looked at his items for sale, (more naked ladies).

Brad, thanks for the links, I will be checking them out. You were spot on with Phoenix, I am chuffed to bits with this one.

Sure thing, you're very welcome! I like the Phoenix range; they hold up very well with today's castings, and the Georgian and Lindisfarne series are still without counterpart today. Same goes for the Atlantis range. I suspect that some of the Georgian figures were the inspiration for figures in Frontline's Colonial Classics series, too. And some makers either used or copied directly diorama pieces from Phoenix, like the furniture. I snap them up, when I can find them on eBay or at shows.

I look forward to seeing your work on this piece, prosit!
Brad

Finally finished it, thanks to Brad you now have to look at my ameteur attempt.

I was happy with the sword, the axe too, but I may repaint the trousers, the red colour seems too vivid. I had that base lying around, and it seemed just right for this two-figure mini-dio. The Viking on the right is a Del Prado to show how painting should be done.

Very good range at Phoenix ( very good sculpt )
All the 54mm range still available at
http://www.forty-third.co.uk/

There was also a range about Viking by All Charles at Greenwood & Ball ( 54mm lead), the looting genre ( mid 70 ies )
don't know if still available ( not really attractives )

And from Sanderson when he was working for Monarch ( end 70ies ) ( good sculpt, one piece casting )
for the Sanderson, as a fellow member wrote
http://www.johnedenstudios.com/
eventualy send him a eMail

Best

Thanks for that Mirof. These have such detail, I was tempted to strip & leave with the Pewter finish. I am happy with the paint scheme, apart from the trousers, which I may do in a less vivid colour. I don't normally collect Viking, or Phoenix/Sanderson, but will keep my eye out for them in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back