In the box, out of the box? (2 Viewers)

rharry

Private 1st Class
In the farm toy community there are many of us that have collected very limited edition tractors or other pieces of machinery. Some of mine are valued over $3000.00 each. They have never seen the light of day........

Now being new to this community I am wondering if this same approach happens??????

Its nice to have items which have value but, I just cannot see the point of keeping toy soldiers in the boxes. I have some very nice aerorart which cost a lot of money which, are in cabinets to protect them but, other items are on shelves in other rooms. If you spend all that money you want to see and appreciate it or, your money may as well be in the bank or under the bed.
Mitch

This in-the-box machinery rharry, from how far back does it date? Do you have some photos?

I agree with Mitch. What's the point of having a hobby to collect things you like, if they stay unseen and unappreciated in a box somwhere? If opening the box devalues the item somewhat as opposed to never seeing the item you bought to enjoy, I say open away and enjoy. JMHO.:D -- Al

Well I hear you all........My limited very limited edition toys once the plastic is pulled off the toy the price value drops by 1/3......they were never meant to be shown. they are pure investment toys......my others are out of the box in display....

my machinery items are not that old....mostly 1/32 scale......

I was just wondering about this community.....Ive not seen any of our dio guys use the new "Fight for the Works" yet in their displays and was wondering if they keep in the box for investment or what exactly?? So that is why I started this thread....

I think also Rick it is easier to take they toy soldiers out of the boxes and then put them back in. Packaging for our farm toys doesn't seem to be as friendly :(

I think also Rick it is easier to take they toy soldiers out of the boxes and then put them back in. Packaging for our farm toys doesn't seem to be as friendly :(

Also what Marky does not say is he will buy five items and display one and stock the others away....

If I don't display I get rid of it. What's the use of collecting something if you can't enjoy it.If you do it for investment then sell it and get your money.I would rather sell something to someone who will enjoy it than let it set in a box in a closet,basement or attic.
Mark

Don't know much about tractors apart from one bad joke but, how do you lose a third in value by taking it out of the box and, who would know?

Also, what type of box do they come in if they are meant from the off to be collectors/investment sets? Can you see them through plastic card or are they blind boxed?

Just seems IMO such a shame that you cannot from this get the enjoyment of scrutinising the set after you have paid for it with this type of purchase.
Mitch

Don't know much about tractors apart from one bad joke but, how do you lose a third in value by taking it out of the box and, who would know?

Also, what type of box do they come in if they are meant from the off to be collectors/investment sets? Can you see them through plastic card or are they blind boxed?

Just seems IMO such a shame that you cannot from this get the enjoyment of scrutinising the set after you have paid for it with this type of purchase.
Mitch

Usually they are in a window box but they are secured by wires wrapped around the axles and tires in the box. Trust me when I say they are a nightmare to remove so it would be obvious to even the novice that the item if removed was no longer MIB.

They are a nightmare to take out of the box and the ties are about impossible to get off. But yet there is another side to collecting. Some collect only for the sake of investment.....but I like this hobby because when the figures come out of the box they take a life of their own and become so real.

Guys like Mike, Dave and the other great dio guys bring so much joy and imagination to the hobby...so in this community for me there would be no staying in the box.......the only problem I am having is my wife keeps hiding the credit card everytime she sees me on this web:rolleyes:

Take them out of the box, but KEEP THE BOX AND EVERYTHING INSIDE IT!!! in a safe place, too

thebritfarmer...

Thanks for that really sounds like the manufacturer is telling you they should stay in the box. Kind of like the idea that the collector can choose but, don't know anything about the tractor hobby but, still seems a shame. Glad its not the same in this hobby or I don't think I would collect
Mitch

Usually they are in a window box but they are secured by wires wrapped around the axles and tires in the box. Trust me when I say they are a nightmare to remove so it would be obvious to even the novice that the item if removed was no longer MIB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back