JJDesigns June 29th, 2020 News Update (2 Viewers)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
JJDESIGNS 29th JUNE 2020 NEWS UPDATE
THE SECOND WORLD WAR

GERMAN ARMOUR

Design of the Panzer I began in 1932 and mass production proceeded in 1934. Intended only as a training tank to introduce the concept of armoured warfare to the German army, the Panzer I saw combat in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, in Poland, France, the Soviet Union and North Africa during the Second World War.
Experiences with the Panzer I during the Spanish Civil War helped shape the German Panzerwaffe’s invasion of Poland in 1939, and France in 1940.

The Panzer I’s performance in armoured combat was limited by its thin armour and light armament of two machine guns, which were never intended for use against armoured targets, rather , being ideal for infantry suppression, in line with inter-war doctrine. Although lacking in armoured combat as a tank, it formed a large part of Germany’s mechanized forces and was used in all major campaigns between September 1939, and December 1941, where it still performed much useful service against entrenched infantry and other ‘soft’ targets, which were vulnerable to machine gun fire.
Although it was quickly surpassed by more powerful successors, the Panzer I’s contribution to the early victories of Nazi Germany during WW 2 was significant.

PZ01-M.jpg

MUNITIONSSCHLEPPER auf PANZERKAMPFWAGEN Ausf.1 A (Sd.Kfz 111)

In September 1939, fifty one Panzer I Ausf. A light tanks were removed from service and transformed by Krupp and Daimler into ammunition supply vehicles. These were intended to equip the panzer regiments front line tanks, with suitably adapted vehicles for supplying ammunition when possibly under fire. These initial conversions involved removing the turret and providing a two-piece armour plate cover over the resulting opening. These crude conversions mainly served in Poland and France with Panzer units.

In the spring of 1942, most of the surviving and already obsolete model I tanks were converted into load and ammunition supply vehicles. For that purpose, plates were welded onto the superstructure replacing the turret, making a quadrangular box that could be covered by canvas for transport. A few months later in early 1943 the order was given to transform all the remaining panzers into ammunition carrier tractors.
These vehicles had their turrets removed and many of these turrets were used to arm bunkers and permanent strongholds, particularly on the Atlantic Wall.

PZ02-M.jpg

PANZER I AUSF.A – AMBULANCE VERSION

PZ03-M.jpg

As the war progressed new types of more modern and efficient combat vehicles were developed and built. The Panzer I’s quickly became obsolete and were relegated to secondary roles, both at the front and the rearguard.
The Panzer I was used as a medical tank for casualty evacuation for the Panzer units on the front. These tanks had no armament at all, with the turrets removed, and white circles with a red cross in the middle were painted on the sides and rear, to denote their assignment to front line medical platoons.

PZ04-M.jpg

SOME THOUGHTS FROM JOHN

Or “A letter to the front”, or a “Dear Wayne”.

As illustrated in the attached pictures, there are some crews in the pipeline for the previously released STUG’s, as well as two new Panzer I variants.
Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that every other series I produce sells better than WW 2, although I hope all these support crews, and vehicles, will be available before the end of this year.

Best wishes
john jenkins

John,

Great job on the StuG crews! I look forward to purchasing two sets, one for the prototype you gave me at your last visit, and one for my production model.

Stay well!

Louis

These look fantastic, the new figures look great and will hopefully be able to buy this year and fingers crossed see/collect at the London Show in December 2020 from Clive at Grey Goose.

I have a JJD Stug III that needs a crew. Excited about this future release and will be certainly collecting everything as shown here.
Mike

Nice looking figures! That's an interesting comment about their popularity.I would have thought the Second World War was the most popular series. I guess not?

Brendan

Nice looking figures! That's an interesting comment about their popularity.I would have thought the Second World War was the most popular series. I guess not?

Brendan

I believe that the popularity of a series also depends on the originality and choice of subjects.
If for the WWII are still being released Tigers, Panzer IV, Panthers, Jagdtigers etc already produced in abundance by all brands in all versions and in any scale, I assume that it will be hard to sell more of them (however well they are built) .
Maybe should be better to have more courage and fancy and to conceive something different, WWII is full of interesting vehicles never produced before in 1:30 scale: light, medium, heavy trucks, tractors, semi-tracked, ambulances, buses, sedans and staff cars and so on...and not only German of course.
This is just my MO.
cheers

Brendan

That's a mighty crowded market, WW2, I mean.

-Moe

That's a mighty crowded market, WW2, I mean.

-Moe

I agree it is crowded, but the two tanks are new, no one else produces them or anything similar, unlike releasing another Sherman, Tiger 1 or Hitler figure.

The figures look pretty good to me and have a universal appeal, with them being able to be used in many different scenarios, together or as individuals with others made by different manufacturers than JJ. It makes a change to see new figure castings, with some manufacturers just releasing repainted previous castings of figures.

WW2 is also a diverse market so I think it cannot be pigeon holed as a single market, with few people collecting all the WW2 ranges. I collect European theatre, but not Italians, Germans for the Eastern Front but not Russians. K & C and T Gunn WW2 aircraft, British and German but not American, Japanese or Russian and none of the ranges from the war in the Far East. There will be many collectors that just concentrate on niche theatres or tanks etc. Plus there a lot to go at, with an encyclopaedic amount of information, pictures and film, enough to choke any geek/nerd. There is enough things to release that there are many collectors who are never satisfied and want more and/or different releases.
WW2 will continue as the most popular era in the world I think, mainly as cannot think of another which would be more popular? For me the closest would be Napoleonic, I am open to hear if anyone else thinks there are others?

I’m really excited to see these new WWII figures. While I’ve been using mostly First Legion and War Park figures And crews with my JJD vehicles, it’s great to see some new sets coming down the road from John and I definitely plan to get them!

I’m also surprised to hear his WWII items don’t sell all that well... John’s armored vehicles and aircraft are the best In the business, particularly in terms of quality, detail, and affordability.

That little medical panzer has a parking spot in my collection. Quite unusual. Robin .

Certainly a neat little tank. Robin.

Attachments

• DSCN2559.jpg
    DSCN2559.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 575
I’m really excited to see these new WWII figures. While I’ve been using mostly First Legion and War Park figures And crews with my JJD vehicles, it’s great to see some new sets coming down the road from John and I definitely plan to get them!

I’m also surprised to hear his WWII items don’t sell all that well... John’s armored vehicles and aircraft are the best In the business, particularly in terms of quality, detail, and affordability.

Me too on how his WW2 does not sell, I have a few and have noticed the RAF figures are a little smaller than K & C, but not that much, they are great poses, I have the barrel group which is excellent. I also have the German tanker with umbrella, which sits well on my K & C Stug and will be buying these new figures.

I can see a problem with his tanks, it is a crowded market and i think people do tend to keep to the same manufacturer when it comes to tanks.

IMO JJD Panzers are the equal in every way of Figarti Panzers in terms of quality and detail and exceed higher priced Panzers in accuracy. The Stug III and Jagdpanther are superb examples of 1/30 scale Panzers. I only wish they would release more examples! A Kingtiger in the JJD standard of accuracy and detail would be great. A Porsche turret with Zimmerit in 1/30 scale has not been done to date. The TCS was 1/28 and the K&C did not have Zimmerit. A Panther D is another Panzer that has not been done in 1/30 scale to date.

Me too on how his WW2 does not sell, I have a few and have noticed the RAF figures are a little smaller than K & C, but not that much, they are great poses, I have the barrel group which is excellent. I also have the German tanker with umbrella, which sits well on my K & C Stug and will be buying these new figures.

I can see a problem with his tanks, it is a crowded market and i think people do tend to keep to the same manufacturer when it comes to tanks.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating: the JJD Jagdpanther and the Stug IV are two of the best models I've ever seen in the hobby.^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

I've said it before, and it bears repeating: the JJD Jagdpanther and the Stug IV are two of the best models I've ever seen in the hobby.^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

I agree they are very good, have seen all of them at the London show, have the winter JadgPanther and will look at one of the summer JadgPanther but there are others releases putting pressure on my bank account.

I've never really had a desire to buy the stug's but seeing the new figures I pulled the trigger on one.
Now wheres that King Tiger??

I've never really had a desire to buy the stug's but seeing the new figures I pulled the trigger on one.
Now wheres that King Tiger??

You won’t be disappointed with the Stug III model! I’ve had the first Stug since it was released in 2019 and had gone back and forth on getting the 2nd version, however, the announcement of these new Panzer crew figures forced my hand to get it. The JJD WWII armor is quite frankly among the best in 1/30 scale, so the purchase should be worth it 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back