John Eden Studios, Who (60mm) ???? (1 Viewer)

Don't worry Brad, those of us who are able to attend should make a "What I did on my summer vacation" report to the forum when we get back. Unfortunately that doesn't help to physically see everything, but at least you will get updated.

Over on Toy Soldier Chat, a poster posted the following about the process of making these miniatures which, if true, may change the way figures are made. Since I know nothing about how soldiers are made, and I just plunk my money down to Shannon or George, I don't have any comment on it.

The masters for these pcs were not sculpted or hand manipulated as traditionally accomplished. They use a new technology of computer programing to generate the master. The manufacture then uses the master disk with all the information contained therein to produce the prototype. This is a process well established in the field of high tech manufacturing. This company is the first to use this technology for military miniatures, and as such will become a standard for the industry. The earthquake my friends is that now all compainies, large or small will have access to the same level of quality detail for production purposes.

The earthquake intensity is magnified by this disturbing fact. All quality levels will be exactly of the same nature, no longer will we compare the detail levels of different manufactures, they will be identical. This is revolutionary and disturbing at the same time for obvious reasons.

You have a good point Brad and it is revolutionary but how is it bad for the consumer or collector? Has it killed other industries using these new high technologies or has it “leveled the playing field” causing manufactures to be even more innovative and creative to earn our dollar?

Also, say your right and maybe you are, does that mean that every manufacturer will have the exact style and characteristics or does that mean that each manufacturer will have there own uniqueness produced to exact quality standards?

I’m thinking the latter, but stay tuned more will be revealed.

One thing is clear the manufacturers are betting that the market is expanding, the demographics of the new consumer are different and bottom line we may really be in a “Renaissance” or “Golden Age” for Toy Soldiers and Miniatures.

Let’s hope so and it’s not “Fools Gold”, I’m betting it’s not.

However, as good as the new competition facing King and Country is and these new figures (computer generated or not) are, KC is still by far the leader of the pack in over all quality, variety, sculpting, etc. and remain the standard for all others to rise to. We do live in exciting times!

Carlos

The term used to describe what is happening (not only as it appears to be happening in toy manufacturing) in all aspects of life is genericification. The dulling down of the human experience. I think it sucks not to have diversity and choices because of taste. All the world will be one big fricken francise.

I was watching a special on TV with whay I think brad is talking about. They were making an action figure toy of some person and the computor mapped the guys face in 3D and they made a computor generated mold. And I thought at the time that would be a cool way to make very detailed toy soldiers. You could just get a person to pose for the computor dressed like the type of troops you wanted and then add different faces to the figures. I think that the days of the sculptors would be numbered if this is the case???

While computer design may put everyone on equal footing from a quality stand point, this should also cut the cost and time of bringing a product to market. While it could cause some "generification" of the quality, theres still plenty of room for the artist to come up with an original line or figure that stands out. The originality of the product will allow an artist stand out from the "generic" product.
The figures shown while looking great with action as I said before are in an overall catagory thats pretty flooded with product ie: Airborne, SS etc.
it would have been nice to see at least a figure or two of some unique catagory or scenario.
Ray

Not John Eden Studios

desk11desk12 said:
Just got my MTSC newsletter and there's this John Eden Studios coming out with some WWII Airborne, German, Nazi (1938), and even some modern US Soldier sets. Check it out.

View attachment 1394 View attachment 1395

View attachment 1396

For more go here:
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/newmetal_folder/collectors_showcase/collectors_showcase.html

Who are these guys? Is this metal, kits or what?

Looks great, Chicgao is going to be fun this year.

Carlos
Not sure how John Eden Studios got mixed up in this thread. I talked to Sundeep Chandran, one of the techno wizards behind these new figures and he said Collectors Showcase is in no way affiliated with John Eden Studios. Collectors Showcase has been around since 2002 and until recently focused only on 1/9th scale full figures (John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean etc.) and busts of famous personalities. The new figures are made of pewter, hand-painted and manufactured in China. The catalog states that they are 1/32 scale but the figures are upwards of 3" tall so they fall in the 1/20th category. The sets will be limited editions (don't know what production numbers will be) and as George said they should be available by the end of September. The company is based in Austin, Texas and is owned by Brian Levy who is off in Europe for the London show and was not available for this interview. There goes my inside scoop story for this week's Treefrog newsletter:p .
Warm regards to all,

Sorry Shannon:

I guess I am the guilty one spreading those rumors about these guys being affiliated with John Eden. I didn't think it was when I started this thread. Maybe I misread the listing on the MTSC site.

Either way 3" for the figures, it sounds like they are in a category onto themselves and compatibility maybe an issue when comparing them with KC, HB and NMA and forget about mixing them with 1/32. The difference between 1/30th and 1/20th is larger than 1/30 compared to 1/32.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see them for ourselves. It seems to me that 1/30 scale was a sound risk taken by KC a few years ago when 1/32 was ripe to be improved on. The difference is that 1/30 quality of product is great and 1/32 products continues to get better with a strong following.

Time well tell,

Carlos

Hard to understand why they wouldn't be at most 1/30. That may kill some sales right there.

I don't know the scale of the new John Eden figures but he did make figures in 1/32 scale from old Rose miniatures and sold sets at shows. These are probably new larger scale figures. Leadmen

Folks, these are not John Eden. John Eden has no association with Collectors Showcase.

What is the story with this scale stuff....... Now that I am getting a better grasp of this stuff, it gets more confusing again. This new company looked exiting now it is confusing. Alex

I would like to correct the mistake on our website. The figures in question are not John Eden. They are by "Collectors Showcase."
Pages with a John Eden heading were mistakenly posted and have been corrected. I apologize for the mistake.

Look carefully at the equipment on these figures....it's hugh!! The German gas mask can looks like fuel tank. I believe when you design on a computer as these figures were you don't get a sense of proportion. The 12' figures they do have lot's of disproportioned equipment. The figures are still very nice but I'm old school. I personally prefer figures sculpted by humans not computers...as a retailer I probably shouldn't point these things out.

Rick Berry
MichToy

Last edited:
mtsc1021 said:
I would like to correct the mistake on our website. The figures in question are not John Eden. They are by "Collectors Showcase."
Pages with a John Eden heading were mistakenly posted and have been corrected. I apologize for the mistake.

Look carefully at the equipment on these figures....it's hugh!! The German gas mask can looks like fuel tank. I believe when you design on a computer as these figures were you don't get a sense of proportion. The 12' figures they do have lot's of disproportioned equipment. The figures are still very nice but I'm old school. I personally prefer figures sculpted by humans not computers...as a retailer I probably shouldn't point these things out.

Rick Berry
MichToy

Rick,

I am very glad that you have pointed out these things. The points you make really help me assess what I want to add to my collecton, plus your comments are the first I have read that clearly identify a downside to the computer designed figures - and, I know there must be some downsides.

Let's just say you pointed out these disappointing features as a collector, not as a retailer!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Clearly computer aided designed figures are going to be the standard for mass produced items and I'm all for them as it will improve accuracy and reduce sculpture costs. Incorrect sized accessories are the fault of the finishers not the computerised proceedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back