King & Country AWI features in Pirates of the Caribbean movie (1 Viewer)

BigDenny

Private 2
Just came across this the other day when I finally got around to watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Is it just me or do the toy soldiers on the desk of the British commander look like some of the earlier K&C AWI releases? {sm2}

POTC.jpgPOTC2.jpgPOTC3.jpgPOTC4.jpg

Thanks for the post! The cannons are cheap souvenir, but I don't think the rank & file is K&C, though the flag-bearer might be.

Not sure about the pieces, but it has me thinking how a great display a King and Country pirate ship and some pieces would be !!!! Has King and country every done any pirate collections?

K&C & “Pirates of the Carbbean”

Hi Guys, Hi Denny,

Many thanks for “posting” the pix from the movie. Yes, the figures in the scene came from K&C.

During the making of the movie K&C HQ in Hong Kong rec’d an email from the Production Designer in Hollywood at the Disney Studio wanting to buy several hundred of our American Rev. War figures.

Originally he wanted us to repaint them in different uniforms for the movie but we did not have enough time. So, they bought them “as-is”, or “as-was”, flew them over to L.A. and repainted these by two modelers. And that’s that… I’ve often wondered what happened all of these little soldiers …

Best wishes and happy collecting!
Andy C.

... and therein lies the difference between Studio blockbuster budgets, and the rest :) The indie version probably uses a box of Airfix 1:32's...

Great post, I just rewatched this movie myself (we all must have gotten the new bluray box set!) and thought they were K&C. My 7 year old is a pirate freak too, he was Capt. Jack for Halloween.

While I am posting, Andy, pls make some pirate figures.................!! I would buy them without the ship!

TD

Re: K&C & “Pirates of the Carbbean”

I was wondering if you could tell me which of the K&C figures were sent to production. I would like to collect at least one of each pose for a POTC display. Not to repaint to look like the ones in the movie, but just to have some of the same ones they used. But I am not familiar at all with soldier figures and the available reference pictures from the movie do not have enough details for me to figure out what that are, which ones they are--I can hardly even tell swords from rifles?!?

I think the figures used have been discontinued by K&C, correct? But they still pop up on eBay now and then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Panderson

Hi Guys, Hi Denny,

Many thanks for “posting” the pix from the movie. Yes, the figures in the scene came from K&C.

During the making of the movie K&C HQ in Hong Kong rec’d an email from the Production Designer in Hollywood at the Disney Studio wanting to buy several hundred of our American Rev. War figures.

Originally he wanted us to repaint them in different uniforms for the movie but we did not have enough time. So, they bought them “as-is”, or “as-was”, flew them over to L.A. and repainted these by two modelers. And that’s that… I’ve often wondered what happened all of these little soldiers …

Best wishes and happy collecting!
Andy C.

Re: K&C & “Pirates of the Carbbean”

Panderson, firstly you can look at the miniatures made ​​on the subject on

http://cis.niagara.edu/kandc/list.php

you can recognize BR34, BR39...
cheers

Thanks for the reply RISORGIMENTO. I have poured over the BR figures and was thinking I can see figures BR039, BR040 and a standard bearer. Thought maybe I was seeing BR041 up by the cannons, but on another look, those probably are BR039s. Wasn't sure about BR034 as the ones in the movie with what looks like swords don't appear to be yelling like BR034, but the reference pictures are not of a very high quality from back in '06/'07..................

Was just wondering if the person who supplied them remembered for sure which figures, so I don't later get called WRONG by others more in the know that I am. I'm a movie and movie props buff, I know little to nothing about Toy Soldiers--or the real militaries that inspire them.
Panderson

Last edited:
K&C UK have some BR for sale on the classic discontinued section

All I see there are Royal Welch Fusiliers, am I missing other ones?
I don't think there are any Fusiliers among the figures used in the movie.
Panderson

Im not an AWI follower but I know a red coat when I see one, Yep def there, BR34,35, 37, 41, 49, 50 about 3/4 of way down on the k&c Classic discontinued just past the german ww2 section, you then have the Americans then the British.

All I see there are Royal Welch Fusiliers, am I missing other ones?
I don't think there are any Fusiliers among the figures used in the movie.
Panderson

They were repainted by modellers for the movie

They were repainted by modellers for the movie

Yeah, I know they were British Redcoats and were repainted for the movie, but the ones in the movie are not Fusiliers. The ones in the movie have tricorns not those high pointy hats like Fusiliers wear. I don't know what the soldiers with tricorns are called--infantry?? Likewise, don't know what the Fusiliers hat is called. All the ones in the movie look like they have tricorns to me.
Panderson

Thanks, Major Dan. Apparently I'm good at not seeing things. Didn't see this message in the thread, and didn't see the BR figures you listed on the K&C site, had not looked under classic discontinued, only under discontinued. Apparently didn't see classic discontinued in the list. I'm seeing it all now! Thanks again for pointing those out.
Panderson

Im not an AWI follower but I know a red coat when I see one, Yep def there, BR34,35, 37, 41, 49, 50 about 3/4 of way down on the k&c Classic discontinued just past the german ww2 section, you then have the Americans then the British.

Yeah, I know they were British Redcoats and were repainted for the movie, but the ones in the movie are not Fusiliers. The ones in the movie have tricorns not those high pointy hats like Fusiliers wear. I don't know what the soldiers with tricorns are called--infantry?? Likewise, don't know what the Fusiliers hat is called. All the ones in the movie look like they have tricorns to me.
Panderson

The pointy hats as you call them are grenadiers.The figures actually postdate the time in the movie as the figures are from AWI 1776-83 and the movie is set in the early 18th century 1715-1720.To be accurate they should have gotten figures representing The War of Spanish Succession.
Mark

A neat post, offering us something different for a change. Amazing story how these figs made their journey from Hong Kong to Hollywood !

Interesting thread- I have supplied toy soldiers to 4 productions up here in Canada (they actually rented them). I have never got around to watching the shows...to see them. Oddly - my wife commented to me lately that she saw on a discussion thread that someone wished they could have the exact sets portrayed....Maybe I should track that down.- however these weren't KC.

Interesting thread- I have supplied toy soldiers to 4 productions up here in Canada (they actually rented them). I have never got around to watching the shows...to see them. Oddly - my wife commented to me lately that she saw on a discussion thread that someone wished they could have the exact sets portrayed....Maybe I should track that down.- however these weren't KC.

The cannons are Penncraft. What do you think the figures are?
Also, what movies have you supplied?
Thanks,
Sandor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back