Knights of the Sky (6 Viewers)

MCKENNA77

Staff Sergeant
I know next month that awesome looking Sopwith will be available. I think I recall another tri-plane that was displayed at the last London show. It was a different paint version than the already released Fokker. Any guess to when that comes out or what is next in this series. Or maybe I'm just on ludes or not getting enough sleep. Personally, I would love to see a Spad release. Here is to hoping.

Keep it silly

I know next month that awesome looking Sopwith will be available. I think I recall another tri-plane that was displayed at the last London show. It was a different paint version than the already released Fokker. Any guess to when that comes out or what is next in this series. Or maybe I'm just on ludes or not getting enough sleep. Personally, I would love to see a Spad release. Here is to hoping.

Keep it silly

There was a picture of an early prototype version of LvR's Fokker at the London show. Green and yellow. That is probably next, but John keeps us guessing. I would hope we get the Red Baron himself in April. There was some mention of it from John. http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?25622-London-Show-Images

Lothar's tripe would be a great release. Could do the Manfred and Lothar figures as a co-release with the tripe. Now that would be an excellent April release to mark the 93rd anniversary of the Red Baron's death in action. Also looking forward to the Maclaren Camel while awaiting delivery of Bishop's N-17. -- Al

Received my Nieuport the other day .....great looking plane ....I will be buying different types as the years go by .....but not doubles...I know the paint job is different on the new Sopwith but unfortunately I do not have the room to display ever one .........^&grin

Received my Nieuport the other day .....great looking plane ....I will be buying different types as the years go by .....but not doubles...I know the paint job is different on the new Sopwith but unfortunately I do not have the room to display ever one .........^&grin
I totally understand this as I am in the same boat. I love all the WW1 aircraft and will do what I can to purchase them, but I am going to run out of room soon, with the only real option I have being to put some TS in their boxes to make room for the aircraft. This is going to be a painful decision. -- Al

The space issue is a very real one.........however one way to allow you to own and collect these great pieces is to actually get comfortable with scheduled "rotation" displays. I actually got the idea from my wife who does it with a lot of our wall art. (limited wall space for paintings). I do it with many of my vignettes and actually get a kick out of rediscovering some of these little treasures.

I realize it is everyines dream to display the whole collection, or feeling less guilty if any of it is in storage............but the rotation approach is one means to having it both ways.

Walt Damon

I have the first three WWI planes and they are taking up quite a bit of space. Don't think I will buy duplicate versions - certainly not of the allied planes - even though they are fantastic. Just not enough variance at $200 apiece with no figures. I can see the logic of rotating displays, but in reality it's a royal pain to package and unpackage items. Particularly these WWI planes which are a bit fragile. The less they are messed with the better. If it comes to that, I will probably stop buying them or cherry pick only the must haves.

If I get to the point of having to rotate, it won't be these beautiful WW1 aircraft being put away in boxes.:wink2: I think some of my older figures may end up in a box, or a tank or two, but not my Fokkers and Camels!^&grin On the subject, has anyone got the Nieuport yet and what is your opinion? -- Al

Received mine. The quality is on par with the others. It is smaller than the SC and Fokker which I assume is to scale.

Thanks for the feedback, 10th La. and Combat. I get to order mine soon. As to the size, the Nieuport was a small aircraft in all of it's versions, especially the versions with the half-size lower wing like the N-11's and N-17's. -- Al

I wonder if John might do Rickenbacker's SPAD? It has snazzy appeal:

800px-SPADXIIIrickenbackerweb.jpg

I've seen a Heco Tinplate Spad custom painted in the markings of the Lafayette Esquadrille, with the magnificent Indian Chief's head on the fuselage, and I would love to see John do a Spad in those markings.^&cool^&cool

I wonder if John might do Rickenbacker's SPAD? It has snazzy appeal:

800px-SPADXIIIrickenbackerweb.jpg
I hope so. JJD will have to do a Spad at some point, although it was one of the more heavily rigged aircraft from a modelers point of view. Would love to see Luke's Spad, along with Capt. Eddie's. Lufbery would be a good choice, too. -- Al

Would love to see a Red Baron Albatros or Goerrings all white Fokker.

Thanks for the feedback, 10th La. and Combat. I get to order mine soon. As to the size, the Nieuport was a small aircraft in all of it's versions, especially the versions with the half-size lower wing like the N-11's and N-17's. -- Al
Winging it's way towards my home as I type this. Hoping it lands Monday or Tuesday.:smile2: -- Al

Winging it's way towards my home as I type this. Hoping it lands Monday or Tuesday.:smile2: -- Al
My Nieuport landed this AM and I must say I REALLY like this model. IMO, it is the best plane in the series, so far. Just excellent all around. The rotary engine spins with the prop, as it does on the Camel. Begs the question why is this not so on the Fokker, as it should be. The paint job is fantastic, very realistic looking and the weathering is superb. JJD has this WW1 aircraft product just plain nailed. I would humbly suggest that anyone who collects these aircraft will want to have this Nieuport. It is a stunner. ^&grin:salute:: -- Al

Arranged my Bishop Nieuport on the shelf with my Bishop SE-5 for an interesting display. The N-17 is 1/30 and the SE-5, made by Dawn Patrol, is 1/32 but the scale difference is not obvious without a point of reference or unless you are familier with the relative sizes to begin with. They look great together, a kind of early/late display of Bishop's aircraft. The Nieuport is the aircraft Bishop flew while with 60 Squadron on his 6-2-17 raid of the German aerodrome where he claimed three Albatros D-3's and was later awarded the VC for his exploits. The SE-5, C1904, is the aircraft Bishop flew in which he scored his last 13 victories of his career in June 1918 as CO of 85 Squadron. The silver Nieuport and olive drab SE-5 make a nice contrast. -- Al

John gave me a call yesterday, to let me know he was coming to New York in November for the Hackensack Show. We talked Knights of the Sky, and while he preferred keeping the details under his hat, he told me there would be several different aircraft coming out later this year. He hinted at both Allied and German aircraft to come, and even said he wanted to (but, due to restrictions in the capability of the factory he was dealing with, was as of yet unable to) do a pusher plane at some point.

John gave me a call yesterday, to let me know he was coming to New York in November for the Hackensack Show. We talked Knights of the Sky, and while he preferred keeping the details under his hat, he told me there would be several different aircraft coming out later this year. He hinted at both Allied and German aircraft to come, and even said he wanted to (but, due to restrictions in the capability of the factory he was dealing with, was as of yet unable to) do a pusher plane at some point.
That's great news, Louis. Would love to see him do Lanoe Hawker's DH-2, in which he was KIA by Richthofen. A 2-seat FE-2b (the famous Fee) would be great but a really tough piece to produce. It was huge, and heavily rigged. Looking forward to whatever JJD chooses to do.^&grin -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back