Knights of the Sky (5 Viewers)

Great to hear of more aircraft...but could use more pilots and ground crews.....^&grin^&grin

Hi Guys,
Not being much of an aircraft guy can somebody tell me what a "pusher plane" is ?

Agree with Al the Nieuport is my favourite so far.

The Rickenbacker Spad would be a good choice.

Regards
Brett

Hi Guys,
Not being much of an aircraft guy can somebody tell me what a "pusher plane" is ?
Regards
Brett

Brett,

a pusher plane is one where the engine and prop pushes it along, instead of pulling with the prop in front.

The Brits had the FE2b, seen here..... it gace a clear field of forward fire too.

Royal_Aircraft_Factory_FE2b_profile.jpg

John

Thanks John.

Now all I need to know is how the bullets can go through a propeller !!!

ReEgards
Brett
Hi Brett. The pusher airplanes were developed to avoid the bullet through the propeller problem. This was a solution before the days of the synchronized machine gun (where the gun was timed with the propeller to shoot safely through the prop without destroying said prop). The pusher allowed a clear field of fire, forward. The develepment of synchronized Mg's made pushers obsolete, though they stayed in action for quite a while afterwards. -- Al

Thanks Al,
Whoever came up with synchronised MG's firing through props was a genius. Any idea who developed it ? Brits, French or German ?

Regards
Brett

Thanks Al,
Whoever came up with synchronised MG's firing through props was a genius. Any idea who developed it ? Brits, French or German ?

Regards
Brett
Anthony Fokker is credited with developing the first effective sychronized machine gun that fired thru the airscrew without shooting up the prop. He was a Dutch designer that had taken his aircraft designs to several countries but ended up working for the Germans. Thus, the Germans fielded the first aircraft, the Fokker Eindekker I, with a working synchronized MG. The aircraft had a single gun, and needless to say, owned the skies for Germany before the Allies came up with an effective counter. Prior to Fokkers invention, the French had a pilot, Roland Garros, who had a non-synchronized gun mounted on his plane. It fired thru the airscrew, which had metal wedges attached to the prop at the gun level to deflect the bullets that would hit the prop. It was mildly successful as Garros scored some victories with it and terrorized German fliers. He also shattered his own prop on occasion. He was forced down behind German lines one day (shot down by ground fire, April 18, 1915) and was captured before he could destroy his plane. The Germans captured him and his secret weapon. Fokker examined the plane and came up with the sychronization idea from there. There followed what was known as the Fokker Scourge as Fokker's invention allowed the Germans to rule the air in the latter part of 1915. The Allies came up with the pusher aircraft (the DH-2 British fighter was particularly effective) and other ideas to counter the Eindekker. One of the more effective ideas was French, who mounted a Lewis MG above the top wing, to fire over the prop arch, on the Nieuport 11. This aircraft was faster and more manueverable than the Eindekker, as was the DH-2. These two aircraft helped break the Fokker Scourge as 1916 went on and the arms race was started as the Aliies soon developed their own synchronized gear and the rest is history. -- Al

Last edited:
Al,
Thanks again. I guess in the early days you would not want to meet a Fokker. Nowadays they make movies about meeting them !
Regards
Brett

Garros' first attempt to use the defelector blades ended badly. During a on-ground practice, a couple of mechanics were killed by ricochets. Other planes, including British ones also used the method - the fellow who won the VC for shooting down the first Zepplen (how is that spelt?) flew a mono-plane that used it.

Garros' first attempt to use the defelector blades ended badly. During a on-ground practice, a couple of mechanics were killed by ricochets. Other planes, including British ones also used the method - the fellow who won the VC for shooting down the first Zepplen (how is that spelt?) flew a mono-plane that used it.
I believe that was Warneford. He was flying a Morane Parasol, I think. That was a high wing mono as oppossed to the mid-wing (like the Eindekker). Warneford was later killed in a flying accident when the plane he was in, a Farman, suddenly "dipped" and threw him out. For some reason he had not been wearing a seat belt. -- Al

Yes, that's him. There was an article about him in the current 'Military Illustrated'. It turns out he used his other Moran on the mission (he so frequently suffered battle damage that his commander gave him a spare) - the one with no guns and he destroyed the Zep by dropping bombs on it. Fascinatingly, the only survivor of the Zep was the fellow who fell through a monastery roof and landed on a nuns bed! I'd heard the grains of that story before but thought it was mostly myth. As for his death, he had just finished a sort of 'victory lap' being presented with all sorts of awards (though not his VC I don't think?) and was merely flying a new aircraft back to the front, when its wings folded up....

Looks as though KC is finally entering the WWI fray. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impact that has on John. These WWI planes are great - maybe the best thing going - but I can't imagine there is a deep collector base given the size and price. John has the advantage of having got out in front and doing historically accurate planes. But the price point is on the outer bounds without a pilot. KC has the advantage of being able to do these at a lower cost. It will be interesting to see their price point. I'm guessing $160-180. They can also churn out product, but often make historical errors. Anyway a great time for WWI enthusiasts.

Looks as though KC is finally entering the WWI fray. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impact that has on John. These WWI planes are great - maybe the best thing going - but I can't imagine there is a deep collector base given the size and price. John has the advantage of having got out in front and doing historically accurate planes. But the price point is on the outer bounds without a pilot. KC has the advantage of being able to do these at a lower cost. It will be interesting to see their price point. I'm guessing $160-180. They can also churn out product, but often make historical errors. Anyway a great time for WWI enthusiasts.
This is going to be a very interesting challenge, for the manufacturers and the collectors. JJD got out first with an excellent product and we know KC makes great stuff, too. I don't think that I will be able to keep up with simultaneous releases from both makers. I will have to stick with one maker, JJD, in a case like that. If the planes come out on an alternating schedule, that may allow me to dabble in both. Don't know yet. My first impression of the KC product (only a few photos, to this point), is one of being heavy in appearence. The Albatros wings look thick in cross section, viewed from the end. JJD aircraft are much lighter looking and their wings are accurately thin in cross section. This may be a direct result of materials used in model construction as KC appears (again, just from a few photos) to have used polystone, making the wings (and struts) thicker than they should be. This is just a first impression. The KC look wonderful and are very colorful. German aircraft are much more eye-catching because of the colors used. A good decision by KC to release the German aircraft for this reason, since they are playing catch-up. Will have to wait on further impressions, but for the time being JJD seems to have the advantage in the intangible of "looking correct". This is going to end up being another one of those choices about whose style do you like best, I believe. -- Al

I too saw the K&C WW1 Aircraft.....I personaly will stay with Johns because I have some already.....If K&C comes out with air crews and facades I will probably add them to JJs......we will see!!!!!

My opinion on the price is that I will be surprised if KC can beat JJD's price point. KC's WW2 aircraft are single wing aircraft and are already at or past as the FW190 is $199, the new P-47, way past the $200 mark. The two wing WW1 aircraft are more complicated with the wire bracing and the paint schemes are going to be more complicated, too. As I said, if the KC Albatros come in under $200, I will be very shocked. -- Al

My opinion on the price is that I will be surprised if KC can beat JJD's price point. KC's WW2 aircraft are single wing aircraft and are already at or past as the FW190 is $199, the new P-47, way past the $200 mark. The two wing WW1 aircraft are more complicated with the wire bracing and the paint schemes are going to be more complicated, too. As I said, if the KC Albatros come in under $200, I will be very shocked. -- Al

KC pricing is all over the place. So it's anyone's guess. But the recent ME 109 with pilot was $159. I don't think Andy anticipates selling many P47s. John's WWI planes with pilot are about $230. I'm guessing KC comes in under that amount given their volume of sales. Andy also knows the pricing point of his competition. He may keep the price down at least on the first releases to get collectors interested. We will all find out soon enough.

KC pricing is all over the place. So it's anyone's guess. But the recent ME 109 with pilot was $159. I don't think Andy anticipates selling many P47s. John's WWI planes with pilot are about $230. I'm guessing KC comes in under that amount given their volume of sales. Andy also knows the pricing point of his competition. He may keep the price down at least on the first releases to get collectors interested. We will all find out soon enough.
You could well be right about KC keeping the price down, initially, to encourage interest. As you say, we'll know soon enough. I just don't see the price being as low as $180. Anyway, I believe the price on the ME-109 was $185, pretty close to the $200 mark. That seems to be the working price point, currently. Too much higher and it won't matter to me, I'll be priced out, regardless of who makes what. -- Al

You could well be right about KC keeping the price down, initially, to encourage interest. As you say, we'll know soon enough. I just don't see the price being as low as $180. Anyway, I believe the price on the ME-109 was $185, pretty close to the $200 mark. That seems to be the working price point, currently. Too much higher and it won't matter to me, I'll be priced out, regardless of who makes what. -- Al

For me space is becoming the biggest concern. And these planes take up much more than the average figure or two. I've been collecting for about 20 years and never sold anything. Starting to feel like one of those old ladies they find with a house full of junk. It's hard to resist those WWI planes though at any price.

For me space is becoming the biggest concern. And these planes take up much more than the average figure or two. I've been collecting for about 20 years and never sold anything. Starting to feel like one of those old ladies they find with a house full of junk. It's hard to resist those WWI planes though at any price.
I know what you mean. Even one of the smaller size WW1 aircraft can eat up shelf space for several figures. I put two WW2 on one shelf with little room left over, or 70 figures in battle line. Plus the aircraft cost has basically halted my figure buying. The obvious solution is to hit the Lotto.^&grin:rolleyes2: -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back